Husqvarna 372XP "Flagship saw" "best saw Husky ever made"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....which I do.

I can find only two real flaws with the 372xp, the inboard clutch and the cover mounted chain tensioner.

Call me queer but I like an inboard clutch and cover mounted tensioner. Chain and sprocket swaps are a breeze with an inboard...not so much with an outboard. The cover mounted tensioner also makes chain swaps easier, IMO. Having the tensioner stud on the inside of the bar is clumsy.

when it comes to the clutch i don't even care as i can get the outboards off quick with my scrench and axe anyways. i'm finding it harder and harder to tolerate the case mounted tensioners though.

Call me queer but I like an inboard clutch and cover mounted tensioner. Chain and sprocket swaps are a breeze with an inboard...not so much with an outboard. The cover mounted tensioner also makes chain swaps easier, IMO. Having the tensioner stud on the inside of the bar is clumsy.

Queer! :lol:

The outboard clutch has all the technical advantages, and make it much easier to design a well handling saw. The so called advantages of the inboard mostly are a matter of habit - but looks good in advertisements.

Ime, case mounted tensioners always work better than cover mounted ones. It usually isn't a big deal though. The best chain tensioners I have used are the ones of the MS361, and many other Stihl models.

I kinda have the opposite opinion on the 346/026 discussion...especially if it's a new edition 346 (aug 07 or newer production) I fidn the 346 more comfortable, but to each their own (026 is still a damn god saw)
The 260 is a a club compared to the 346 as it pertains to power, power curve, filtration and vibration. That said I juts bought a 260 as they are stone reliable and I like the nimble feel they have.

Hmmmmmm

Seriously... Does nobody think they are lacking in the lower region? I've haven't really seen any husky's built after like 2000 or so that actually have a powerband, and I mean under 80cc. Good depending on who's running them... Not bad by any means. Every saw has it's purpose. The newer ones I've run bog too much for me, I can't keep'em spinning fast enough or remind myself I can't lean on it... If it works, and doesn't cause you issues, ENJOY IT EH?

:cheers:
Husky saws have always had more torque and wider power curves than stihls IME. ALTHOUGH I haven't ran the newer strato stihls.

Queer! :lol:

The outboard clutch has all the technical advantages, and make it much easier to design a well handling saw. The so called advantages of the inboard mostly are a matter of habit - but looks good in advertisements.

Ime, case mounted tensioners always work better than cover mounted ones. It usually isn't a big deal though. The best chain tensioners I have used are the ones of the MS361, and many other Stihl models.

I agree that an outboard design yields better handling characteristics, especially on smaller limbing saws. But on bigger falling and bucking saws(like the 372xp), I don't think that is as much of a necessity. JMO...

I haven't noticed any differance between inboard and outboard in the handling department. Inboard is more handy though. The Ms260 for instance feels more lively than the 346. In MY OPPINION weight is a much more important factor.

I haven't noticed any differance between inboard and outboard in the handling department. Inboard is more handy though. The Ms260 for instance feels more lively than the 346. In MY OPPINION weight is a much more important factor.

I totally disagree, but that is also an opinion! :D

I guess when your truck is always a treelength away from where you're working, you will pick the lightest saw for each part of the job.
When you gotta lug your fuel and saw a few hundred feet in miserable terrain, you're only going to pack one saw.

I agree about 372, easy to work on nice power .as all you pros on here know to realize what a good saw is all about be it husqy or stihl is to have used a crappy supermarket saw or just held one.i think that's what the person that has a bit of cutting to do doesn't understand when they go shopping for a saw with maybe a 16 or 18 inch bar price a stihl or husqy then see a homelite or lidl or aldi saw for a couple of hundred cheaper don't realize that they saw wont last a couple of weeks work and no back up for a lot of these saws either.we wont spend much time in our shop looking for parts any more for a lot of these now adays .great site by the way a mountain of info here .keep up the good work :rock:

Well I had a 371XP for a while until someone decided they wanted more than I did and stole it and 2 other saws and a leaf blower.

Anyway I still remember the first time I heard it run I thought my god it sounds like a 2 stroke racing bike. It was a heck of a good cutting saw that's for sure. Replaced it with a used Stihl 046 Magnum, it didn't have the same feel or sound but it was ok. Back went out and got rid of all the heavy stuff.

I guess when your truck is always a treelength away from where you're working, you will pick the lightest saw for each part of the job.
When you gotta lug your fuel and saw a few hundred feet in miserable terrain, you're only going to pack one saw.
I love it when I hear someone complain they have to carry a heavy saw a few hundred feet into the woods to cut up some firewood. I do trail maintenance and my gear weight runs 35-40 pounds. Pro Mac 10-10 17-19lb 16"-24" bar and chain. 3 lt water, 2lt fuel, 1/2lt oil. Rain gear, 16" spare bar and chain, file and other tools, days food. I have gone as far as 12 miles with elevation changes from a few hundred feet to over 2,000 feet in a single day. Oh, and by the way, I am 51 years old. You don't have to be a muscle bound weight lifting jock to carry your favorite powersaw to the work site. I am your average 160lb joe who is not afraid to walk 25-40 miles each and every week of the year. Now I do have a method of carrying that heavy saw with out actually carrying it. This method will work for anyone and if you would like to know my secret, just ask. It only takes seconds to have the saw fired up and cutting a down tree and the saw ready again for travel to the next downed tree. So this thread is about a husky saw, even though my favorite saws are Mcculloch, my method of carry involves a husky product.

Now I do have a method of carrying that heavy saw with out actually carrying it. This method will work for anyone and if you would like to know my secret, just ask.
You certainly have ‘my’ attention.

Back