Husqvarna 394 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkTimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a Husky 394 and am waiting for it to get here. I have browsed the site and have found some stuff just want to know the good and bad of this saw. I would like to run 404 pitch on in hardwood and was looking for max bar length in this situation

only problem i can think of off the top of my head are the hot start issues and cracked intake blocks. other then that i think they are pretty good. i don't really care for the low top filter but they work. just make sure the square area inside the AF cover has no cracks.

I don't have 404 chain, just 3/8ths on mine. It runs a 36 inch bar just fine, could run longer. It likes resistor plugs though, makes a difference in starting and running.

I'm currently rebuilding one I got for a song and a dance and here's what I've seen and read about:

- Intake boots can crack
- Air jet can crack
- Oil tank vent line/fitting can be tricky to get in place
- Plastics are getting harder to find, particularly the carb tray
- The muffler bolts are a terrible design - the cylinder mounting tabs can get damaged and worn if not careful.
- Some early models came without a decomp but you can add one
- Stock squish on mine was .048" with a .018" gasket. Getting to the .020" mark will require some case/cylinder machining.

I plan to run a 36" bar in oak and based on how smaller saws have worked for me, it should have no problem with it.

I absolutely think the 394xp is the best power for the buck, that what i have as a pic with one of my kids, 36" bar full comp chain buried in oak no problem, spanked my 660 with muffler mod handedly, was smoother, and oil very well even in winter with regular oil. Only thing i had to do was replace some clips to hold down air filter cover. muffler was rusted and had holes near the bolts but just made it breath better. Yes keep an eye out (or ear) if it over-revs when hot in case there is a small crack in the intake block, the 395 replaced that with a boot, but i think the block has better airflow. Very rarely would you need an 088/880 if you have 394. Congrats.

Thanks everyone glad to know what to look for just picked it up today seems to run good looking forward to find some wood big enough to test it out

I always check all the bolts on a used saw before I use it.

Latest posts

Back