husqvarna 394 sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth F

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Will a 10 tooth sprocket be too much for a husqvarna 394xp? It's ported by Terry Landrum(woods port and muffler done by Terry also) I want it for a 20"-24" bar just to play with for fun while bunking will there be any problems with bar/chain alignment on a sprocket this size? I planning on going with 3/8" wanna know of any warnings before I buy one

Thanks
Kenneth

You'll have to cut your chains differently (longer) and there will be a large gap between where the chain comes off the larger sprocket and where it enters the tail of the bar. When going to a sprocket of this size, most guys re-shape the tail of the bar to match as to avoid chain throws.
thanks for the reply what's the extent of the bar midifications? how is it done?

thanks for the reply what's the extent of the bar midifications? how is it done?

Re-shaping the heel of the bar to match the contour of the sprocket. You can use a bench grinder (carefully) and then smooth it out with a drum sander, or sanding wheel on an angle grinder, or a sanding mandrel on a die grinder.

Yes, it will be too much. You'll find you overspeed the chain for the oil pump too. Pin drive sprockets are not good for chain.

Not much to add, just want to follow the thread. Are you looking to race the saw or just use it? The 394 has a pretty good stock top end and is one working son of a gun. Seems higher RPMs would compromise torque, no?

For play you'll be fine. I wouldn't want to use up a $25 sprocket cutting firewood. If you do run it dress the heel of the bar to match up as good as possible and try to find a bar with the most belly in it.

For play you'll be fine. wouldn't want to use up a $25 sprocket cutting firewood. If you do run it dress the heel of the bar to match up as good as possible and try to find a bar with the most belly in it.
Thanks for the help fellas where the best place to buy a sprocket does anybody have pics of bars that have been fixed it'll definitely be for play

Kenneth

Madsens carries them.
Got the sprocket ordered from madsens they said it would ship monday now for the bar which brands are wider in the belly?

As far as oil couldn't I just run a winter oil and get more of it on the bar since its thinner

I wouldn't be too concerned oil wise. A 394 is rated for a 36" Bar and will very happily run a 42". Open your oiler up to max and you will have plenty of oil I would think, even allowing for the greater chain speed afforded by a 10 pin sprocket.
Huskys are prolific oilers, (far more so than Stihl for example) and provided your oil pump is in decent condition will not disappoint in this area.

Latest posts

Back