Husqvarna 44 ignition coil Q.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the coil had a bad connection. went digging and found one that was an oem and working. saw starts and idles great. didnt get to cut with it today due to the holiday but will be cutting first thing tom! it was quite the adventure getting one with all the right parts together due to some having one and two peace ignitions and not knowing what part came off what saw.but after a bit it worked itself out. could have been the plug wire but idk. thanks alot for the info i will have to try a 55 coil on the next one i put together. take care.

Last edited:
44 Flywheels

I am interested in the different flywheels between the years on these saws.

I know the oldest version with the blue Preflux module (no separate igniter) has the magnets arranged as North pole moving past the coil before the South pole.

I believe this is key when trying to swap out coils.

I wonder how the husqvarna 55 flywheel magnets are arranged.

Also of the three different flywheel available for the 44 - did they switch the poles around.

I used a 55 coil on my 44, had to modify the holes, cut 3 or 4 rick of wood , coil went out again, chicom coil , ordered another today be here Tuesday.
I remove the igniter or whatever they call that part on kill switch

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I used a 55 coil on my 44, had to modify the holes, cut 3 or 4 rick of wood , coil went out again, chicom coil , ordered another today be here Tuesday.

Hi,
Did you get any success with this? I have my dad’s 1979 Husky 44 Practica lying by the back door looking sorry for itself. Has needed a new coil for several years now. I was born that year, so he’s had it all my life, light usage only, well looked after, would really like to get it running again if I can, with a new coil there’s be plenty of life left in it yet.
(North Pole passes the coil first.)

Attachments

• 9FF5293C-DB59-470F-92FA-41ABF1D9C286.jpeg
    9FF5293C-DB59-470F-92FA-41ABF1D9C286.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • A0DEF359-A30C-4965-BE14-365BDEDD6AA2.jpeg
    A0DEF359-A30C-4965-BE14-365BDEDD6AA2.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
44 Flywheels

I am interested in the different flywheels between the years on these saws.

I know the oldest version with the blue Preflux module (no separate igniter) has the magnets arranged as North pole moving past the coil before the South pole.

I believe this is key when trying to swap out coils.

I wonder how the husqvarna 55 flywheel magnets are arranged.

Also of the three different flywheel available for the 44 - did they switch the poles around.
I have an version 1+2 . Different they are .

Im actually doing that for a 44 machine .

Im having some troubles with the 44saw i bought 2 of the 44 modell and 2 of the 444se . Now there are a Big difference between coils on these saws sure the blue SEM two fanged coil is made for the 444se saw because of the generator/handle option , ive rebuilt most sg/se machines with generators just hook them us as they should be and start the saw .

Now on the 44 machines now this here little igniter chip ? Why is it Almost impossible to find these on the Market ? Ive been messing with a phelon ignition coil for the 44 that has a built in igniter chip am i Right ? (Thats where the thin black wire comes out from) i can not for My life get this coil to fire one spark .

By brains ticks on about that i should cut through the extended part at the backside (where the thin wire comes out of ) and im really guessing now to Correct a broken fuse or a copper wire ? In my head that sounds fair .

On the blue SEM ignition coil works just fine with the 444se saw with generator a new one 120-180$ thats insane for a coil .
But if i want to use this i need an Ignition Chip ? Theire not made anymore what i can understand But there are
Some made for Hedgetrimmers from Husqvarna a bit pricy i think ca 40$ for the chip with shipping (shipping more expensive than the chip itself)

Ive even got a coil for the 55 that ive trimmed down to size to fit the slot but yet Again i need the ignition Chip for these asian coils am i Right ? Because its just as dead as the other coils in this saw .

Sm i thinking in the right way for the 44saw ? I have never had troubles with the Generator/headed handle saws they just work and work so i find this Truuuuuuuuuuuly annoying and frustrating .

I might say that ive never bothered about saws without heated handled because i live in North Sweden around the Arctic Circle .

Got some ideas ? Spit em out .

Regards Paul-Roger

Attachments

• pro-ZO6ZDSFu.jpeg
    pro-ZO6ZDSFu.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • pro-PM3oAQdi.jpeg
    pro-PM3oAQdi.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240323_142939_167.jpg
    IMG_20240323_142939_167.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Might be the magnet polarity is reversed on the different flywheels as mentioned in post #22.
Try spinning the flywheel backwards and see if there's spark...
The 55 coil shouldn't need a chip, there should be aftermarket chips available for the 44 ignition also.

Here's a recipe to make one;
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/atom-diy-module.142530/

Might be the magnet polarity is reversed on the different flywheels as mentioned in post #22.
The 55 coil shouldn't need a chip, there should be aftermarket chips available for the 44 ignition also.

Hey Wcorey
Yep im thinking about switching the flywheel to a larger SEM flywheel thats used in the 444sg/se saw i have one on the shelf , and surely il try that .

Thats what im thinking about the 55coil .
Yep ive seen loads when i sat down yesterday , for some months ago i couldnt fint nothing really not under 50-70$ .

Perfect thats something for me im imagining Theres just a transistor or a capacitator in those modules .

Thanks for the advice perfect sitdown for Sunday order .

Regards Paul-Roger

Hey Look at That i switched to the 444se/sg saw on the shelf with a larger SEM flywheel and i mounted the 50-55 ignition coil and it has a strong spark .

Without the ignition module that 50-55coil wont work in the 44 its just a dead fish in the sea without that little module .

It should be a good way to diy the modules myself but the question is can i make it as small as the ones that fit inside the saw ?
I have an atom computer chip in one of my 140s saws and that ones Tiny ..and it fits around the ignition coil .
On the 44 parts list it should be mounted down under the flywheel just as the generator sits on the 444sg/se saw .
Im all for making diy solutions When it Actually makes a Difference and Works and before all Looks Good .

Thanks for the Tips and il get on eBay to score some parts .
Regards Paul-Roger Nilsson - Sweden

Latest posts

Back