Husqvarna 450

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo74

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am not really looking for another 50cc saw, but...I can have one for pretty cheap. How does this compare to my John Deere cs52? And would you pay $150 for it? The saw looks like it hasn't even been used, compression feels good, no fuel in the tank....it doesn't even smell like there has ever been fuel in it.

They are a good saw and that's a great price if it’s as described.

Having never run the JD you mentioned I can’t compare. But it’s definitely at the top of the heap when you compare it to the other modern 50cc homeowner offerings.

I can't remember if that model Deere is an efco or not, but the efco I'm thinking of is a pro saw.
The 450 rancher is a great saw for a plastic farm ranch saw. I like the easy to remove cover to get to the air filter. They also have similar specs to the 353 husky which I like a lot, making the 450 rancher my favorite non modded plastic saw.
They work well in wood up to about 10-12" and will cut with an 18" bar buried, but whether or not you will want to wait that long for it to cut is another thing, if I'm cutting over 14" I usually want at least a 60cc or a ported 50cc saw. That being said most guys could cut 3-5 cord a year with nothing but a 450 and could do that for many years.

I can't remember if that model Deere is an efco or not, but the efco I'm thinking of is a pro saw.
…… .

Memory is getting weak, but when I was more informed on the details of the subject I wasn't willing to call the 52cc Efco/JD etc. a pro saw, regardless what it was marketed as. One reason is (lack of) sufficient power, but I believe it was a bit more as well, that in my view pushed it out of the real pro saw category.
As I recall it, the 47 and 52cc EMAK saws were NOT built to the same standards as the larger 56 and 62cc ones?

Memory is getting weak, but when I was more informed on the details of the subject I wasn't willing to call the 52cc Efco/JD etc. a pro saw, regardless what it was marketed as. One reason is (lack of) sufficient power, but I believe it was a bit more as well, that in my view pushed it out of the real pro saw category.
As I recall it, the 47 and 52cc EMAK saws were NOT built to the same standards as the larger 56 and 62cc ones?
From what I understand the cs52 is a clamshell, but hell, I only paid 125 for it. It runs ok, but I think it is kind of weak for a 52cc saw, at least when I compare it to my Husky 35. But the husky 35 seems very strong for a 35cc saw, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

I don't doubt the possibility of the specs being less than some pro saws, and you remember more than I've forgotten lol.
I meant a pro built saw(in the sense of a mag case), but even so I was unsure if this was the pro built or not.
I always avoided them mainly because of resale which is typically a high priority for me, and also parts availability.

From what I understand the cs52 is a clamshell, but hell, I only paid 125 for it. It runs ok, but I think it is kind of weak for a 52cc saw, at least when I compare it to my Husky 35. But the husky 35 seems very strong for a 35cc saw, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.
If the price is right on the 450, the condition of the saw is good, and you have the cash then go for it. Especially if the Deere is the plastic version and you are unhappy with it, list it on Craigslist and recoup some of the cash.

I just serviced a Husky 450, and while I would never trade my 257 for it, the customer is very satisfied with it. An 18" bar should work for it. The 20" bar that it has mounted is likely a strain. This saw flunked the compression drop saw test and measured at just 116 psi, but it starts and runs. Next year I plan to rebuild the top end.

Husky 35 is a reed valve saw and cuts very well for its cc/age. Won’t compare with modern 35 cc offerings like Makita 3601 or Stihl 211 but will run with just about anything else under 40 cc.

Latest posts

Back