Husqvarna 455 Rancher tool less, and friends?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fett tracking

Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying a Craftsman 55cc 20in chainsaw. Even though I am still a fan of their rachet sets (I have been buying more snap on lately too) my last purchase of theirs was an amazing let down as well. It was a lawnmower. It was such a peice of garbage that I did not even take it back.

Anyhow, I will be returning this chainsaw. I knew I should have gotten a husky. I am interested in the 455 rancher tool less. Now the reading I have done on it says that the 455s are not sugggested to have longer than a 20in bar. It seems like many people are overall pleased with this saw, and I think it is the perfect general size for what I need (firewood, and cutting some trees 9-14 inches diameter down in the yard).

Unfortunately Sears sells these babies for $400 plus tax, and they haven't gotten the tool less ones in yet.

What is a good reccomendation. I was also looking at the 460, but sorting through all these model is a little confusing. It seems like they are all basically the same thing in principle.

Thanks!

-Fett

353 is worth looking into, incase you dont mind the prize tag...

First off, welcome to ArboristSite!

Second, before you buy anything you should spend some time reading up on some of the saws in your price- and size-class in the old posts here. Lots, and I mean lots, of folks come here asking a question very similar to yours.

In brief, the 455 and 460 are homeowner-grade saws with plastic bodies. They are also heavy for their power output, but are generally reliable performers. Analagous models from Stihl include their 290 and 310. They are designed for the occasional woodcutter and do nicely in that role.

Cropped_290_455.jpg

You might also want to look at Husqvarna's 350, 353, and 359 models, as well. The 350 is nearly as powerful as the 455 but weighs three pounds less and costs about $300. It, too, has a plastic body. The 353 ($360) and 359 ($410), by comparison, have magnesium bodies and for all intents and purposes are "pro-grade" saws despite the absence of an ###XP model designation. The 353 and 359 are very popular and respected saws and for good reason.

You will also want to consider NOT buying your saw from Sears, Lowes, or other big-box retailers. You will pay more than you should for the saw you choose, you will not get the saw set up properly prior to bringing it home, and you will have a difficult time getting warranty service - the store that sold you the saw won't do it on site and many full-service saw dealers will decline to work on your saw, warranty repairs or otherwise. Lots of posts on this topic, so you might want to read up before you buy.

Anyway, having made a bad saw choice in the past I trust you will soak up the useful information in the discussions here at ArboristSite (watch out for the BS, though!). Take advantage of the site and do your learning ahead of time, so you won't make another unsatisfactory choice in the future!

And again, welcome!!

Last edited:
fett tracking said:
What does it mean when the saws chain pitch is listed as .325 3/8

that means either or right?

It means that the saw can be set up to run either chain, assuming that the chain, drive sprocket, and bar are all the same pitch.

Here's part of Oregon's chain manual that should serve as a good introduction to chain pitch, gauge, etc.

Oregon Chain PDF

And if that isn't enough, here's a couple old posts on the issue, in no particular order:

About Chains

Chain Types

Another Chain Discussion

Yet Another Chain Discussion

I would stay a long way away from the 455 or 460 because of the power to weight issue, and the plastic case, but that's just me.;)
The MS290 and 310 are worse, as they have bad anti-vibe and air filter system into the bargain.

I am not saying that they are bad saws, though - there are far worse saws out there....

Also stay away from the tool-less chain adjusters (both Stihl and Husky) - follow the KISS rule.

I agree with Computeruser, take a look at the Husky 353 and 359 instead....:D

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Also stay away from the tool-less chain adjusters (both Stihl and Husky).

I agree with Computeruser, take a look at the Husky 353 and 359 instead....:D
Good advise! :)

Back