Husqvarna 50

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello all. I just now joined your site. I have been reading it for a few days now when it came up on a Google search. I have gotten some good info on here. Thank you for that.
My question is has anyone tried the cheap cylinder head kits from eBay. They have a 46 mm for 25 bucks that will fit a 51 or 55. I have a Husqvarna 50 that was built in 1985. It needs a carb and the cylinder and piston are heavily carbonated and appear to have some slight scratches on the walls just from looking in the spark plugs hole with a flashlight. Are the low priced heads any good and will they fit in a 50 saw. Thanks in advance

Welcome. I won't use them, but that's just me. If I'm going to spend the time cleaning and rebuilding a saw, I want good components. That kit probably will not fit a 1985 50. There are two flange sizes for the 50 series where it mates to the case. Since you've read, you probably realize you need to get a new impulse pipe and intake boot. I'd put new crankcase seals & bearings in too. That is a little tough to do without the factory oil gear puller, but it can be done. I'll give you one example of trouble with the chinese kits. Too much squish. Even eliminating the base gasket you may still have low compression due to to much squish. This is due to incorrect manufacturing dimensions. It's a good saw that will last the average consumer 20 years if treated decent. I would warn you against increasing the compression too much because the starter systems are a little weak.

Thanks so much for your reply. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get any. I have ordered a carb kit, I will rebuild it when I get time and replace the impulse pipe and intake once I figure out exactly what they are. I have the original parts list that came with the saw, it has diagrams and part numbers but no names of the parts. This is my first time tearing in to a 2 cycle
Thanks again for your help

Be careful with the carb screws, don't make new threads or overtighten them. I've rebuilt several of this series and happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for the pics. What are your thoughts on a muffler mod? Take baffle out, just put holes in front? Never done one before.
Can you post a picture of your muffler outlet? There are some varieties.

I will when I get the carb kit and start working on it. The muffler has 2 small slots on the right top corner if you're holding the saw normally.
I'd just enlarge the slots. I don't remember a baffle, but if so, you may need an extra hole in the baffle.

Thanks for the pics. I didn't see any muffler pics. However I am new to this site and don't know my way around it yet, I may have missed them. I did see pics of the cylinder and piston. I am going to do the carb and muffler and see if I can get it running, if not I will tear into it further
This one is probably like yours and there is a shot of enlarging the outlet slots. Also, notice I had to file the intake flat and the thread were stripped.

https://garys51.shutterfly.com/

Thanks for the muffler pics. I noticed I had said my port was on the top right, I meant to say bottom right. Sorry about that. I got the saw out this evening and was looking at it. I thought I would check the compression. I put it in and pulled it about 10 times and it would bounce up to about 40 lbs and then back to zero. I just didn't think this was right so I tried it in my Really old riding mower and it did the same thing. I tried it in my old mower and same thing. I bought the tester at Advance Auto years ago and it worked fine the last time I used it on a car engine. Do you have to have a special tester for single cylinder engines?

It needs to have a check valve in the bottom. Could be your check valve is bad. It's looks like a car tire shrader valve, but it's not. It has a weaker spring than on a tire. You use the same tool to unscrew it and it is the same size.

It may be tough to find. Maybe someone else will chime in. I'd start with auto parts places.

Back