husqvarna 51

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodytreecare

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
talked to a guy today who says he has a new husqvarna 51 with an 18" bar for sale. i cant really find much information on this saw, wondering if anybody might could give me some input on this saw. thanks

The Husky 51 is a great little saw. It's the little brother to the Husky 55, or the Husky 55 Rancher. It is basically the same platform with a few less cc's. I ran a Husky 55 for a few years and never had one problem with it. If you get it, open up the muffler a little and the saw will really come to life.

woodytreecare said:
awesome. what do you think one would be worth? the guy is asking $300, but its new

Good saw, same as the 55/55R just a smaller top end. $300 seems a tad high, as you can find 55R's out there for less than that.

heck, you can get a 353 for literally a few bucks more if you shop around. And that is a latest generation saw.

Woodytree:

About 9 months ago I won a Husky 51, sounds like same set-up as the one you described, on eBayware for about $195.00 total. It came from a pawnshop, & I doubt that it had even 4 (more like 2) tanks of gas ran through it. This past Sunday my neighbor borrowed it, & it fired on the third pull after sitting for about 6 months. I did, of course, put in fresh fuel & bar oil.

The fellow selling the saw needs to understand that as saw technology advances, most older saws lose their value, even unused ones. Having said that, he might have some leverage if he were offering an unused 372XP, or especially a 2100.

Salutations,

The advice given is spot on. The price IMHO is way too high. My father has a 51 and it's been a great saw for him. I opened up the muffler, installed .325 round chisel, and a 8 tooth small spline sprocket and it does okay. The most significant negating factor is the weight vs. performance. It weighs as much as any 346, 026, DCS540, and simply it can't keep up. $300.00 is well into the territory of any of the 3 listed pro saws and a good ebay day will secure a complete 540 including shipping and change left over.

I'd price point the 51 at a maximum of 180.00

Candice

Beavergirl said:
Salutations,

The advice given is spot on. The price IMHO is way too high. My father has a 51 and it's been a great saw for him. I opened up the muffler, installed .325 round chisel, and a 8 tooth small spline sprocket and it does okay. The most significant negating factor is the weight vs. performance. It weighs as much as any 346, 026, DCS540, and simply it can't keep up. $300.00 is well into the territory of any of the 3 listed pro saws and a good ebay day will secure a complete 540 including shipping and change left over.

I'd price point the 51 at a maximum of 180.00

Candice

Mine ran me $175 in top condition out of a pawn shop. Came with a new chain that couldn't have cut much more than a demonstration. I love this saw for my purposes (limb/trim/small stuff bucking).

Harry K

Ditto what Beavergirl posted.

$300.00, some good research, & some careful shopping could net you nice, modern saw, maybe even a new one. On eBayware I've noticed :Eye: some Makita saws with some really attractive prices. Also the green & yellow ones :) .

If the 51 is literally new, never used, maybe $225.00 max? I paid $190.00, but I took the chance on eBayware of buying a POS saw (i.e., I was very lucky on my saw).

Candice: What mods did you make to the muffler? I wouldn't mind juicing up my saw a bit.

Makita Dcs 540's are inexpensive on e-bay now. Saw one sell 2 nights ago for $182, Brand new with 21" bar! I like my 540 and it's no problem getting parts directly from Makita. I think this saw is the current bargain.

I new to site wanted to say hello to everybody. The husqvarna saw mentioned above I own one and one of my favorite saws of all time. I have done commercial work with mine for eight years now, it has never let me down I have done nothing to it other than put chains on clean air filter and a couple spark plugs. I paid 330 dollars for it brand new in 97. I saw one on ebay super clean with extra bar and chain for buy it know price of 299. I thought about grabbing it for a backup if I finally wear mine out. I asked myself same question is it worth the price now if you could find one that clean yes, because it seems like some good saws got phased out by EPA and they are getting harder to find but from my experience the 51 is a great. I am a Stihl and Husky man I own an love both.

trimmmed said:
Good saw, same as the 55/55R just a smaller top end. $300 seems a tad high, as you can find 55R's out there for less than that.
I think that was good advice.
If you like the 51, you should like the 55 even better. Try to get one before they all disappear!

Back