Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwoodsJack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I can drill a few holes in my muffler to squeeze out a little more power? does anyone know how to do it on this muffler? I don't have a welder and doubt I can afford a Walker's version. I've tried to search everything written, but can't find anything specific on my saw. I'm happy to just drill a few holes, but I'm unsure of where to put them and if I should do anying inside the muffler.

thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Jack

Welcome Northwoodsjack.

I'd take the muffler off first, as I guess you've figured out. jsut make SURE when you do open the muffler, that you richen the H and L circuits on your saw, if you dont, you'll have a big toasted boat anchor. turning the screws out is richer, in, is leaner. I'd start with two holes about 7/16ths inch diameter, and see how much that helps.

As far as where to drill them, I recommend in the front of the muffler. the reason taking the muffler off is recommended is to prevent metal shavings from getting in the cylinder and ruining the saw.

What muffler do you have there is different.
If you have the one with a welded hole in the side, I would concidder getting another and play with.

There is a lot of info here if you put your mind to it.
The carb setting is the tricky part.

make sure u dont just make it louder. i did that for a while and then realized louder doesnt necessarily mean stronger. my test is in hardwood with the bar buried. thats where i find what adjustment is rite for that saw.nine outa ten times if i then check it with the tack it set according to specs with my method. of course this is with unmodded saws.which i only have one little echo 3000 that isnt.it just needs to crank easy ,not die in idle ,and cut smooth.i dont climb anymore much ,so this saw see little use . but its not for sale or anything ,as who knows, the money may lure me back into a few climbing jobs.it hurts to turn one dn ,just because the body got old.

thanks for the reply's! I sent my muffler off to Washington Hot Saws. I'll let you know how it works out. It is a side discharge muffler that has an internal baffle and the whole deal is welded together, so I'm not sure how big the factory opening is. So, that means I can't figure out how much more to open it up. I guess I could have just put a few small holes in it.... But, what the heck, this way it's more likely to work out well. I'll leave it in the hands of a pro. I think he puts a screen on also, so I don't have to worry as much a bout sparks. I do like those pipes though, that i've seen on some of the mufflers.

Latest posts

Back