Husqvarna 550XP boat anchor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except Echo needs to actually want to play. They are capable. They need heated handles and carbs for one thing...and "hotter" porting.

I too find the 7310 interesting.
Echo do seem to be more than capable, but there is a definite lack in pushing
the product, and on dealer numbers.
I never seen an Echo in my area, until I did a search, found numerous dealers,
with plenty of new and secondhand saws in their shops, that showed me the saws are out
there, and the quality of the ones on the shelf sold me on them.
They also seem to be leaving the door open to mods, muffler and re adjust carb helps them
a lot, my guess is if they did this they would fail the emissions, they do understand what to
leave on the table.

My cs590 is well built. Obviously. Yet the air filter is kinda "weak", the top cover removal and non-contained hardware; same. The rubber antivibe is pretty good, or it that the nicely balanced crank sheds no offensive vibes? In any case that design is behind-the-times and feels it, to a certain extent.

I agree 1000% on the emissions standards evasion tactics. That may somewhat show their integrity? Try avoiding/subverting Japanese regulations!

sorry about the sidetrack

My cs590 is well built. Obviously. Yet the air filter is kinda "weak", the top cover removal and non-contained hardware; same. The rubber antivibe is pretty good, or it that the nicely balanced crank sheds no offensive vibes? In any case that design is behind-the-times and feels it, to a certain extent.

I agree 1000% on the emissions standards evasion tactics. That may somewhat show their integrity? Try avoiding/subverting Japanese regulations!

sorry about the sidetrack
Yea, sorry for the derail, any word on that small Echo with the electric management module,
woops, done it again.

I just saw a rumour on another site from a long time husky dealer of good repute...I hope he's right.

If only to maintain a saw "look" that I like, as opposed to the new-ish, zooty look with all nooks and crannys and swoops and swooshes. I've always liked boxy, smooth saws that don't hold dirt and debris in a million nooks and crannys.

anyway, I have no real info, I just yesterday read a sentence in a recent thread over there...

Karen. Hahahaha!
Watch out they don’t put up a poll wanting to change your username, to Karen.

Seriously?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Yup. People just know what to ask for. Plus it was still going to be available in other countries for years to come, it was still in production so why not, especially if some are dead set on old school technology. Even the 462 is now offered in a non Mtronic version. I think they should just move on, the 572 is a better overall saw IMHO.

I think they should just move on, the 572 is a better overall saw IMHO.
I think they should just regress. My completely un-molested red version OE made 6hp on the MI dyno. You know the saw.. It revs like a Husky should too, but I digress. How is Andre?

I think they should just regress. My completely un-molested red version OE made 6hp on the MI dyno. You know the saw.. It revs like a Husky should too, but I digress. How is Andre?
I mean...yeah it was a good move to get past points, and compensating carbs were nifty, smart coils are great....but there comes a point where they go beyond...on tech.

The 572 is an awesome saw man, IMHO going backwards, is going backwards, things can't stay the same forever. Did you see the dyno numbers on the 572? Something like 7.5hp.

I'm doing alright, one day at a time. Hope you and yours are well![emoji111]

The 572 is an awesome saw man, IMHO going backwards, is going backwards, things can't stay the same forever. Did you see the dyno numbers on the 572? Something like 7.5hp.

I'm doing alright, one day at a time. Hope you and yours are well![emoji111]
I did see the graph. It looks like a true workhorse for the peeps that need it. I understand the trepidation for those folks though when they're up on a mountain or helo'd onto an island.

I did see the graph. It looks like a true workhorse for the peeps that need it. I understand the trepidation for those folks though when they're up on a mountain or helo'd onto an island.
Totally understandable. But anything can break, that's why I like having a backup or two.[emoji6]

I work for the state park service and we have all kinds of saws old/new , maintained/abused, and mostly stihl and Husqvarna.
Probably the best saws in our service have been the Ms361 and the old husqvarna 55 Ranchers ,the seem to tolerate many users and ( if reasonably maintained) start and cut consistently.
I get to see people who are not "chainsaw people " run saws and its very enlightening.
The biggest failures have been the ms290s and the 550 husqvarnas.
The 290s mostly because they air leak and we could have bought a 390.
The 550s were first generation and wouldn't start MOST of the time ran like trash and wouldn't idle consistently, truly a disappointment for the supervisors and managers who bought them. I worked on getting one straight and switched to a 16" bar with a regular 3/8ths chain and "when" it ran it was AWESOME!
The problem is that when I tell the old timers in the park service that I like my Mccullochs they'll say "what a piece of garbage!" because they were issued mcbricks back in the day , not 10 series. So now those new users to chainsaws in the park service feel the same way about a husqvarna because of the 550.
I love my L77s and a xp395 but the 550s are junk, and I've changed a dozen nylon tooth timing gears on a mopar, so I call BS on that.

I work for the state park service and we have all kinds of saws old/new , maintained/abused, and mostly stihl and Husqvarna.
Probably the best saws in our service have been the Ms361 and the old husqvarna 55 Ranchers ,the seem to tolerate many users and ( if reasonably maintained) start and cut consistently.
I get to see people who are not "chainsaw people " run saws and its very enlightening.
The biggest failures have been the ms290s and the 550 husqvarnas.
The 290s mostly because they air leak and we could have bought a 390.
The 550s were first generation and wouldn't start MOST of the time ran like trash and wouldn't idle consistently, truly a disappointment for the supervisors and managers who bought them. I worked on getting one straight and switched to a 16" bar with a regular 3/8ths chain and "when" it ran it was AWESOME!
The problem is that when I tell the old timers in the park service that I like my Mccullochs they'll say "what a piece of garbage!" because they were issued mcbricks back in the day , not 10 series. So now those new users to chainsaws in the park service feel the same way about a husqvarna because of the 550.
I love my L77s and a xp395 but the 550s are junk, and I've changed a dozen nylon tooth timing gears on a mopar, so I call BS on that.
Pulled down a few 1 owner 350 chevies with over 300k on them and the nylon gear had virtually no wear. My personal 85 L98 had 201k on it...and spent alot of time at 5000+, we put a new chain on the old sprockets just to see how much wear vs new gears and it was the same slack measurement. Mopar probably just used crappy parts...they had a knack for that.

Pulled down a few 1 owner 350 chevies with over 300k on them and the nylon gear had virtually no wear. My personal 85 L98 had 201k on it...and spent alot of time at 5000+, we put a new chain on the old sprockets just to see how much wear vs new gears and it was the same slack measurement. Mopar probably just used crappy parts...they had a knack for that.

Considering that you were born in 1985 that timing chain set might have been changed in your car. The mopar "quiet gears "were awful but I dought any mechanics would argue the 318s longevity issues.

Considering that you were born in 1985 that timing chain set might have been changed in your car. The mopar "quiet gears "were awful but I dought any mechanics would argue the 318s longevity issues.
As long as they didn't sludge up the oil pickup they were alright, 360 was more power in the same package..like the 305 and 350.

The 85 was all original, in the same family, i got it at 55k miles and drove the hell out of it. One day after a particularly nasty launch it started smoking and fouled 2 plugs. Pulled the motor and found the factory TRW forged pistons and rings were still mint. Had some kind of gasket issue. The car itself was in bad enough condition that it was worth more in pieces.

Had a 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer with the 5.2Mag, loved it...got decent economy and had respectable power. Had a 98 Ram with the 5.9...great engine, horrible trans.

As long as they didn't sludge up the oil pickup they were alright, 360 was more power in the same package..like the 305 and 350.

The 85 was all original, in the same family, i got it at 55k miles and drove the hell out of it. One day after a particularly nasty launch it started smoking and fouled 2 plugs. Pulled the motor and found the factory TRW forged pistons and rings were still mint. Had some kind of gasket issue. The car itself was in bad enough condition that it was worth more in pieces.

Had a 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer with the 5.2Mag, loved it...got decent economy and had respectable power. Had a 98 Ram with the 5.9...great engine, horrible trans.

Yeah nightmares about that transmission.

Back