Husqvarna 550XP MK I or MK II?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer, the OE 550XP MK1 or the NE 550XP MK2?

• Any year OE 550XP is better, I like that it weighs less and currently costs less.

• Only a later year OE 550XP, the earlier ones had too many problems.

• The NE 550XP MK2 is the way to go.

• Neither, I prefer the pre-autotune 346XP (if you can find one).

• I'm just here to vote for some other brand.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I loved my 550xp, but revamped my saw plan and am going with a 241cm for limbing and 362cm for medium sized bucking. ms500i for felling and large bucking.

261cm is close in weight to the 550xp mark i believe and has more power. definitely lighter than 550xp mkii.

Perhaps try out MS241cm or 261cm.
The MS261CM has the same HP rating as the 550XP MII, but weighs the same as the Mark I. HP ratings are tough to compare from one brand to the next...

The MS261CM has the same HP rating as the 550XP MII, but weighs the same as the Mark I. HP ratings are tough to compare from one brand to the next...

Ya I bought a 261 c-m too, for the lower weight and extra hp. Unfortunately it's turned out to be a cranky little bstard to start mostly when it has been run hard and then sat for 15 minutes. Starts ok on cold start after about 6 pulls, but takes 12 pulls on average with hard drop starts to get it barking on a restart when still a bit warm. I've tried every combination of possible starting procedures available to mankind :-( Took it into the shop some weeks/months back and it cranked fine on their test doing it by the simple procedure in the manual but I doubt they ran it hard and then waited a bit to try a restart.

It's a real disappointment so far! When we get through this Covid-19 time and things open up again, I'll take it in and get them to update/flash the software again. Off warranty now so it will be on my dime . If I can't get it to start easier, more consistently, it's going down the road and I'll be happy using my ea4300 / 421 oe 346 and 562xp

My little 421 (ea4300) cuts almost as fast as the 261-cm anyway and it's a little sweetheart to start and run.

Ya I bought a 261 c-m too, for the lower weight and extra hp. Unfortunately it's turned out to be a cranky little bstard to start mostly when it has been run hard and then sat for 15 minutes. Starts ok on cold start after about 6 pulls, but takes 12 pulls on average with hard drop starts to get it barking on a restart when still a bit warm. I've tried every combination of possible starting procedures available to mankind :-( Took it into the shop some weeks/months back and it cranked fine on their test doing it by the simple procedure in the manual but I doubt they ran it hard and then waited a bit to try a restart.

It's a real disappointment so far! When we get through this Covid-19 time and things open up again, I'll take it in and get them to update/flash the software again. Off warranty now so it will be on my dime . If I can't get it to start easier, more consistently, it's going down the road and I'll be happy using my ea4300 / 421 oe 346 and 562xp

My little 421 (ea4300) cuts almost as fast as the 261-cm anyway and it's a little sweetheart to start and run.
Yeah get it reflashed , my neighbour had his done and it now starts 2nd or 3rd pull hot or cold ! The CM all seem to have a starting issue prior to reflashing apparently .

Yeah get it reflashed , my neighbour had his done and it now starts 2nd or 3rd pull hot or cold ! The CM all seem to have a starting issue prior to reflashing apparently .

Thanks for the confirmation/tip. I'll take it in asap.
Cheers,

Well i have had a 550XP MK1 for one year. I bought this saw used,a 2013 model and not aware of it's history. I used the saw everyday done an insane amount of cutting with it.Felling, limbing, pole stacks for firewood etc. The saw performed awesome everyday until one week the idle started to act funny and long story short it would eventually not start anymore. I took it to the Husqvarna shop where i bought it and was told the bottom end was knackered and it would cost me over 300euros to get repaired. I do all my own saw work but during these strange corona/lockdown times here in Ireland parts and getting them proved to be very hard as the main husqvarna suppliers had shut the doors.So this is why i took it to my local Husqvarna shop in the hope they may have had some parts in stock but long story even shorter i decided to buy a brand new 550XPMK2 and so far love the saw...it seems to rev a little better and i think that is the airfilter design as they made it larger the top cover of the saw too. They done away with the de-compression valve but i can't say anymore because i only have this saw too weeks.
I loved the first one so much that i decided to buy a new one! LOL... It's a screamer and a very fast reliable saw when working right.
Lets hope the MK2 don't give as many of these issues.

So in the end, the 346 was very nice in all ways except EPA wise. the MKI was also very nice to handle but at first had a lot of serious issues.
MKII came to clear the name, wich was almost under engineered (havier, boxier) and people said they preffered a saw without issues. But at least in this thread it seems it was the wrong direction to go heavier and maybe less ergodynamic.

And I totally agree.
If a bit Boxier is OK. Buy a Dolkita 5105 wich has more power on the Dyno and is quite a bit cheaper. They should have called the later MKI's MKII's and be done with it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk
I bought a 572xp precisely because it was built like a tank so some people look for that is a saw. Now granted I'm not slinging it around 8 hours a day but like love how it handles. If the 550xp mk2 is similar I'd probably get it if I was ever in the 50cc market again. However I expect my ms261 to last a long long time.

I have a 562xp with 2 Tsumura lightweight bars 20” and 24” Great Saw, but the question was about a 550 MKI or MKII, Just Sayin!

Yup, I understand you like the MkII, I'd probably like it as well, just can't justify a saw that is so close to 562xp in weight yet is only 50cc. Now if they had made it 55cc and kept it at the same weight it is now, it might make mores sense to me.

Happy cutting.

Yup, I understand you like the MkII, I'd probably like it as well, just can't justify a saw that is so close to 562xp in weight yet is only 50cc. Now if they had made it 55cc and kept it at the same weight it is now, it might make mores sense to me.

Happy cutting.
FWIW,
Weight and paper specs can be misleading when compared to real world working conditions. I own a 2260 w/20" and a 545 mark II-same weight as 550 mark II. I ran these saws the other day and there is a huge difference in weight and handling. My 2260 wears a non-lightweight 20" bar, it's noticeably heavier and larger feeling. Yes my 545 mark II is heavier than my 346xp, It's still a noticeable difference from a 60cc saw. If your cutting style requires a lot of waist high or above, your body will really notice the slimmer/lighter chassis of the 550 vs a 60cc saw. Even though the paper specs might seem close.

The 562xp to me felt close to the 372xp in weight so i sold mine, now i run a 572xp and love it. The 550xp 1st gen was alright, love it for limbing and its lights. The 550xp 2nd gen feel much more solid build and i really like it so far but prob not as good for limbing above waist stuff. I don't like the restart procedure on either one.

Hot starts really are a big pain in my ass with the 550 and 562...
my 550 had problems right out of the box and I managed to fix them but never did get rid of the Hot start issues...
562 is an animal and it’s bone stock, but again any kind of weather 10C or hotter and your using it for a half hour, it won’t start after sitting.
Gotta pull the choke on, and pull over when it’s hot and it will pop, and then just keep doing it a couple more times then goto high idle.
when your tired and the last thing you want to do is pull 7-8 times to get it going to finish the job, it’s incredibly annoying.

372 is heavy but sure is easy to start!

mid they really did fix the hot start issues I would say go with the mark II. Reliability is everything with a chainsaw to me :)

I have a Jered 2253 and a Mark 1 550. The times the Mark 1s are harder to start I have noticed is when the tank is Low on fuel. It does not make any sense. The Mark 2 starts easier no matter what the conditions. Also when you start it it seems to fire before the starter is completely extended.

Latest posts

Back