Husqvarna 572xp, First Impressions & Overview...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that the engines of the new models, 572xp or 565, have two piston rings unlike all or almost the previous engines, according to you for what reason? and what benefits can it bring?

I sure like my 576s and 372s. Smooth and full of torque, ported and stock. Not impressed so far with the new 572. Was hoping for more. It better grab at least 15% more power through break-in or a 372 or a smooth proven 576 still have their place with Husky. And as far as the competition? This should get real interesting.

I noticed that the engines of the new models, 572xp or 565, have two piston rings unlike all or almost the previous engines, according to you for what reason? and what benefits can it bring?

Many Husky saws have two rings. I believe with windowed and heavier pistons the extra ring will provide better piston stability. Some claim better heat transfer and better compression in higher hour engines, which I have a hard time believing. Some will pull the bottom ring for better performance, do to less drag. I know in the 372 I prefer the lighter single ring piston from the 371 and early production 372's.

I sure like my 576s and 372s. Smooth and full of torque, ported and stock. Not impressed so far with the new 572. Was hoping for more. It better grab at least 15% more power through break-in or a 372 or a smooth proven 576 still have their place with Husky. And as far as the competition? This should get real interesting.
Who's did you run.
I'm not sure what's not to like in comparison to the 576. Turn the volume off on those videos and pay attention to the cut times.
Now in comparison to the 372 I wasn't impressed with the weight, but with handling like the 572 has the weight issue would be no problem in my eyes, and with the added power it's a home run. I'm sure it will also get better fuel economy than the 372 as well which really matters to the guys running these saws day in and day out.
Don't forget the 576 will be a thing of the past most likely when the 572 is released.

Lol. None yet. Two on order. Just going by your certainly by far unscientific videos.
Can't wait to run this so called by you Home Run 572. And the Stihl 462 side by side.

Lol. None yet. Two on order. Just going by your certainly by far unscientific videos.
Can't wait to run this so called by you Home Run 572. And the Stihl 462 side by side.
It wasn't meant to be a scientific video. When testing saws, at best there will be variations in the testing done anyway. I'll let @redbull660 do the more scientific testing/videos, as I do appreciate all the effort that goes into them it's just not my thing. It was a fun time running some saws with a buddy who was generous enough to let me make a few cuts with his new saw.
Be sure my home run comments are in regards to the aspects I shared in that sentence and in comparison to the two saws I was referring to in that sentence(just so I'm not being taken out of context as it seems you've already done). I'd like to see the 462 run next to the 572 myself, as I'm not loyal to either brand per se, even though I am a husky guy for the most part(but have a few saws by various manufacturers). I prefer the handling on the huskys, and I was quite surprised how this one felt even being heavier than I had hoped it would be.
Let me know when you get yours, I'd enjoy helping out testing and could bring whatever saws along you'd like to run beside them. So do you have a 462 on the way too, that would be cool.

Haven't seen a true "bow saw" other than pictures in decades. One of my "bucket list" items is to try and replicate the little Poulan with a bow blade my grand father had for pulp wood in Alabama.
Weimedog--Yes I live in southwest Ga. and have become involved in collecting old saws,bow bars and using them to cut wood on the ground. Sandcast poulan with gear reduction,homelite xl 12 with a bow is the classic around here. David0917161601-01.jpg

Many Husky saws have two rings. I believe with windowed and heavier pistons the extra ring will provide better piston stability. Some claim better heat transfer and better compression in higher hour engines, which I have a hard time believing. Some will pull the bottom ring for better performance, do to less drag. I know in the 372 I prefer the lighter single ring piston from the 371 and early production 372's.
The change to two rings on the US sold 371/372s was purely EPA-related, and production with just one ring continued for other markets (all but the US initially, I believe).
As you indicate, it did not happen at the same time as the model number change - it actually happened a bit earlier (according to the IPLs from the late 1990s).

That said, I don't know when importing the non-EPA rated saws was outlawed in the US - so I can't totally rule out that some non-EPA 372s have been sold there (+ some surely has "leaked" to the US from Canada).

Who's did you run.
I'm not sure what's not to like in comparison to the 576. Turn the volume off on those videos and pay attention to the cut times.
Now in comparison to the 372 I wasn't impressed with the weight, but with handling like the 572 has the weight issue would be no problem in my eyes, and with the added power it's a home run. I'm sure it will also get better fuel economy than the 372 as well which really matters to the guys running these saws day in and day out.
Don't forget the 576 will be a thing of the past most likely when the 572 is released.

I was a bit disappointed with the weight of the 572 as well - but that's only based on specs, not on actually handling the saw.

Surely the 576 will go away (it already has here), but I'm not so sure about the 372xpXT - and production of the non-XT 372xp will of course continue in Brazil.
I'm not sure where they source the top ends for those Brazilian 372s though, the options seems to be either China made Mahle or Brazilian made KS. I find the last option most likely, judging on how they do it with older models.

A design flaw that all those models share is of course the inboard clutch - but that's a different discussion....:innocent:

I was a bit disappointed with the weight of the 572 as well - but that's only based on specs, not on actually handling the saw.

Surely the 576 will go away (it already has here), but I'm not so sure about the 372xpXT - and production of the non-XT 372xp will of course continue in Brazil.
I'm not sure where they source the top ends for those Brazilian 372s though, the options seems to be either China made Mahle or Brazilian made KS. I find the last option most likely, judging on how they do it with older models.

A design flaw that all those models share is of course the inboard clutch - but that's a different discussion....:innocent:
As you said, actual weight only has a part in the overall handling/performance, and as Walt said in the video he didn't pay a lot of attention to the saw as he was cutting, that tells me that it was a pretty comfortable saw and handled as well as he expected from a 70cc saw. To me a saw that you can grab and run like that it what I like.
Yes, that's another conversation, and it's been had and you know I agree especially on smaller saws(50-60cc) but larger or smaller than 50-60 I rontd care as much for my personal use.

Little over a yr and a half later, how's everyone liking their 572's.
@porsche965 your's holding up well?
Morning Brett , having a cup of coffee found your post ..:)..i don't have a lot of information as i just started and made one cut so far ..after the break in warming up and cool down , i do like all about it except the little added weight not that big of a deal ..i have used the 550 xp II a bit more and it a a little porky also .. but i love it , sure the 572 will be the same ..;)

Morning Brett , having a cup of coffee found your post ..:)..i don't have a lot of information as i just started and made one cut so far ..after the break in warming up and cool down , i do like all about it except the little added weight not that big of a deal ..i have used the 550 xp II a bit more and it a a little porky also .. but i love it , sure the 572 will be the same ..;)
What's up Rod.
Mine is still in the box, but I took my new hat out lol. I may even run it some day :laugh:.
I also got the 550 mk2 out, great running little saw.

What's up Rod.
Mine is still in the box, but I took my new hat out lol. I may even run it some day :laugh:.
I also got the 550 mk2 out, great running little saw.
got a hat with the 572 and a shirt with the 550 , my wife took the hat and the shirt....:(..mostly just glad she didn't take the saws....:yes:

got a hat with the 572 and a shirt with the 550 , my wife took the hat and the shirt....:(..mostly just glad she didn't take the saws....:yes:
:laughing:.
My wife told me a while back I should build some shelves for some mine so they don't have to sit on the basement floor lol. Just to be clear they don't all sit on the floor, and the ones that do are all on cardboard :).
Got 13 tanks thru mine, don't notice the weight, smooth strong saw, no problems whatsoever, that new husky chain cuts very smooth.
That's awesome you don't notice the weigh, especially being the old guy you are :p. I hope I'm running a saw when I'm 78, and hopefully it will be 70cc, but by then it may be 170 volts :surprised3:.
Do you like the way it handles better than a 372?

Latest posts

Back