Husqvarna 61 Rancher Ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danwalczak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm stumped on this one, hoping for some ideas. Ive got a Husky 61 with no spark, plug is good, replaced module and coil (two piece ignition), air gap is correct, plug gap is correct, flywheel is still magnetized. but no spark??

I ohm'd the old coil and module with the new and got the same readings no matter where I checked.

I know its possible that the new coil i bought was d.o.a. but i was hoping somebody might have another idea to check?

Thanks in advance.

Pulled the module and coil off the saw, cleaned everywhere underneath, disconnected to lead to the kill switch to rule that out.... no spark still

If it's the old one you are using, check the spark plug wire from coil to plug. Once picked up an 056 for $25 that owner assumed had a fried ignition. Turned out to be just a break in the wire. Needed a few parts from eBay and $16 later had a strong runner.

Hey, thanks for the reply. using the brand new wire with the coil. Checked over the wires no pinches. Did a continuity test from the module right through to the plug wire end and it all checks out.

hmm.......

Well, it looks like the snake bit once again. I am now repairing an old Husky 61 with two ignition components-- a module and a coil. No spark with a new spark plug. It takes both working components, the coil and the module, to produce a spark on this older saw, not one inexpensive aftermarket part that won't fit or work, unless I am mistaken. So, if either the coil or the module fails, no spark will occur and the engine is dead as a hammer in either case.

What I have never seen posted here is an answer to a simple question: how can you determine which one of the two parts, the module or the coil, is defective? If you can isolate it, you do not have to replace both--only one of them.

Any suggestions?

Not sure how to test them other than swapping parts but the few dead ones I've run across have all been the module.
Last one I fixed by adapting a spare 288 module I had, works with the 61 coil and also the 61 module will work with the 288 coil.
Seems the 288 type ignition was used for a longer time and on multiple models so can be easier to find.

61%20288coil_zpsdwvllkkp.jpg

Not sure how to test them other than swapping parts but the few dead ones I've run across have all been the module.
Last one I fixed by adapting a spare 288 module I had, works with the 61 coil and also the 61 module will work with the 288 coil.
Seems the 288 type ignition was used for a longer time and on multiple models so can be easier to find.

61%20288coil_zpsdwvllkkp.jpg
Seems like that is the case--the module is usually the culprit and not the coil. I checked the kill switch and it seems to be OK. Then I checked continuity of the wires at several lengths. You have to wonder how many of these older Husky 61 saws die because of this one part failing. I'll go ahead and order a new module. It's a shame it cannot be tested somehow with a meter. Nothing worse that throwing away a good part or buying a new one that fails to solve the problem.

I'd guess it's pretty common. We have had 5 or 6 of them come in in the last few months for no spark.

I have a known good two piece oem coil and module I can let u test with or maybe buy if i am not giving it away. They are tough to test or impossible from what I have heard.

Unless the module is new AM part, I would be very suspicious about any claim "it is OK". From what I´ve experienced with these, the coils-as already stated- are OK, but modules are notoriously going bad. It seems to me the trouble is always (I´m still not absolutely sure about this always) the foil condenser on the PCB of the module-pretty small for what it have to handle and the glue which holds it together is getting brittle with the age-so the condenser desintegrates.

No problem, I have had some no parts be no good also. So am sometimes may be better.
Thanks for the offer, Smokey7, but I went ahead and ordered one via. e-bay. This is not my saw, so it's best that I supply the owner with a new part. It also needs a sprocket cover/chain brake assembly. I'm restoring the saw as best as possible. Compression is down to 115 psi. so I may also have to rebuild the top end. After at least $150 in parts, it may be up and running. The bar and several chains are in good condition, so it's probably worth it. These old Husky 61's look to have been made very well.

Back