Husqvarna 61 Rancher, Older.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, you guys have been a GREAT help. The tag (Or VIN plate as I like to call them, lmfao) is black, it says:
"Husqvarna 61
Husqvarna Sweden."

If I am not mistaken the first three numbers tells us 8= 1988 and 15= 15th week.
The rest of the numbers tells us what order it was built in, nothing that is going to help.

Edit:
I believe the model 61 first came around in the late 70's or early 80's, so this 61 is one of the later models.

Last edited:
Mine is a 1983 made in sweden.

I don't find mine to be very weak for its size. I have an 036 pro also and I think I actually prefer the 61. I haven't used them side by side on the same day though. Just as memory serves I liked the 61. I haven't cleaned it since its last workout over the week end. Looks filthy.

Yeah I hear what you are saying about not being weak for its size I was tuning mine yesterday in some hard oak after SawTroll was dogging them about not pulling a 20" bar very well (Imagine that!!!!) :monkey: and it had no trouble @ all??????? I bet it would really come alive with an 18" bar,, JMHO it does really well for a 26 year old saw, Does any one have the WOT RPM spec???? mine has a nice Tillotson Carby on it,,,, I dont see anything on it that refers to Rancher Logo any where on it???

The number tags changed from "silver" to black for 1987 - the dating is no mystery!

Btw, there are exceptions, with saws that were not made in Sweden.

Thats why you have the title of Information Guru Niko!!!!! Keep up the good work on keeping us straight!!!

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken the first three numbers tells us 8= 1988 and 15= 15th week.
The rest of the numbers tells us what order it was built in, nothing that is going to help.

Yes, that is correct.

The 61 first appeared in 1977, and the first ones were the "white tops". The most recent ones are all orange.

So Niko what is the Max RPM???? for my 1985 silver tag black topped version???

The documentation say max 12,000 rpm on the late ones - some sourses say 12,500. That is as close as I get.

Edit; The 1988 WS manual also say 12,000.

Last edited:
Mine is a 1983 made in sweden.

I don't find mine to be very weak for its size. I have an 036 pro also and I think I actually prefer the 61. I haven't used them side by side on the same day though. Just as memory serves I liked the 61. I haven't cleaned it since its last workout over the week end. Looks filthy.

I love the look of the WHITE top the best. My 50 has a white top, hmm seems the 61 is like a bigger brother. CAD is the worst now Im gonna be on ebay all night looking for one. PS my 50 is a 1983 as well. SAW TROLL, when did they switch to black and then orange???

Here is what the first generation 61 Ranchers looked like :)

(This particular one happens to have an adjustable oil pump...sort of like a 272 pump for that matter and it's tuned to no load RPM's of 13,200 with a nice chocolate brown plug & nice 4-stroking until it gets a load...It wears an 18inch bar that's really for a Homelite but has been hacked to work with this 61 Rancher. AND I can tell with out a doubt it will cut faster than my much newer Husqvarna 455 Rancher...not even in the same league! I have a hunch it will cut faster than a Husqvarna 460 Rancher as well. And its lighter as well....so much for progress! I believe the cases & covers were made in 1978 on this one.)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Well, I'd post a few pictures of it, but The manage attachment thing ain't working, Hmmm:msp_confused: but i'll get some up soon. Thanks for all the info on this saw guys, it should really come in handy when I start the rebuild.

Doesn't yours have the adjustment like the 6-- series Jonsereds? Mine has the adjustment in the same place.

Ive never owned a Jonsered,,,,,,, so I have no Idea of what a 6 series is?? much less where the oiler adjustment is. All I know is its a silver tag huskie 61 with a black top and a metal Chain brake handle and it runs really well????

Sorry,, I'm basically a Creamsicle guy,, Ive got a few huskies but dont know much about them,,,, Like on this saw whats the trick to getting the carb off without drilling a hole in the back of the crankcase??? cutting the short end of your 5mm allen off?? I hate destroying tools... That botttom screw is a pita

(This particular one happens to have an adjustable oil pump...sort of like a 272 pump for that matter and it's tuned to no load RPM's of 13,200 with a nice chocolate brown plug & nice 4-stroking until it gets a load...It wears an 18inch bar that's really for a Homelite but has been hacked to work with this 61 Rancher. AND I can tell with out a doubt it will cut faster than my much newer Husqvarna 455 Rancher...not even in the same league! I have a hunch it will cut faster than a Husqvarna 460 Rancher as well. And its lighter as well....so much for progress! I believe the cases & covers were made in 1978 on this one.)
Since you know how to post pics,,,, can you post one with where the adjustment is ???? I see you have a muffler Mod is that all thats done or is it woods ported as well,, That generation had no chainbrake??????

Last edited:

AND I can tell with out a doubt it will cut faster than my much newer Husqvarna 455 Rancher...not even in the same league! I have a hunch it will cut faster than a Husqvarna 460 Rancher as well. And its lighter as well....so much for progress! I believe the cases & covers were made in 1978 on this one.)

That is as it should be. The most comparable newer Husky is the 359, imo.....:biggrin:

Edit; RR, The chain brake was an option back then, and no chain brake surely makes the saw lighter.....

The adjuster is under the clutch cover on that generation/family of saws, not really easy to find.

Last edited:
Ive never owned a Jonsered,,,,,,, so I have no Idea of what a 6 series is?? much less where the oiler adjustment is. All I know is its a silver tag huskie 61 with a black top and a metal Chain brake handle and it runs really well????

Sorry,, I'm basically a Creamsicle guy,, Ive got a few huskies but dont know much about them,,,, Like on this saw whats the trick to getting the carb off without drilling a hole in the back of the crankcase??? cutting the short end of your 5mm allen off?? I hate destroying tools... That botttom screw is a pita

Sorry about that RiverRat. I meant the 625, 630, 670 series of saws. The oiler is a separate unit that contains the RH crank seal and attaches under the clutch. The adjustment should be on this piece and sits to the left of the crankshaft if you are looking at the clutch.

About the carb....If the screw is too hard to reach with the t-handle, then I just use the short side of a standard allen wrench. Once its loose, then I can work the angle to get the t-handle in.

I do not have a 61 but I do have a early 162SE with a 266xp top end, which is the same basic saw as the 61. If you want to really fire that 61 up you need to find yourself a 50mm closed port 266xp top end for it, it will also benefit from the larger 266 carb also. I believe you can swap on the 52mm 272xp top end also but you will have to change out the entire intake system as well.

Couple of other little tidbits that might be of interest to those who like that chassis:

attachment.php

Wanted the "low top" cover look...so the two intake scheme's that I had to work with were the stock 61 (Aluminum) and a 268. The 272 wouldn't fit under the cover. Stuck with the aluminum becasue with a little die grinder help it had a larger x-sectional area and straighter flow. (Not showing the filter & cover mod which would make all this much clearer) Didn't loose anything relative to a 272 intake.

attachment.php

attachment.php

There is a thread out there on what i did. The pics pretty much tell the story. Simple stuff but a lot of fun. I have a really nice 61 intake manifold, carb, cylinder & piston if some one needs one! :)

Last edited:
I do not have a 61 but I do have a early 162SE with a 266xp top end, which is the same basic saw as the 61. If you want to really fire that 61 up you need to find yourself a 50mm closed port 266xp top end for it, it will also benefit from the larger 266 carb also. I believe you can swap on the 52mm 272xp top end also but you will have to change out the entire intake system as well.

Yes, but the early (about pre 1985) 266 doesn't have the larger carb. Those have the same carb as the 61.

Yes, but the early (about pre 1985) 266 doesn't have the larger carb. Those have the same carb as the 61.

Actually, I believe you are the person who was telling me about the carbs in the thread about my saw. Now that I think about it I do remember you saying something about a mid 80's change over. I still have the smaller HS163 carb on my 266 top end and it seems to do just fine for me.

Back