Husqvarna break in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamp45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to adjust my carb on my 346xp it is set full rich on the limeters. How many tanks of fuel should i run thru it before i lean it out? It is 13,000 rpm full throttle now.

When I got mine the shop set it to 13,500 and said to leave it. I ran a couple tanks through it and havent used it much since. Ill bump mine up to 14/14,200 in a few more tanks.

Well it certainly should not go lean at 13k. I would give it about 10 tanks for a good break in but it really depends on you use the saw. Long sustained cuts will probably set the rings faster but of course are more risky.

The operators manual says nothing about max rpm. Quote avoid running at a high speed for extended periods of during first 10 hours.

That isn't about the carb setting I believe, but it is a bit unclear if it is about WOT out of wood, or about prolonged cuts. Both should be avoided, actually.......

Running richer than the max 14,100 for at least 10 tanks is advisable, but 13K is normally too low on that saw.

Last edited:
I might be mistaken but I think I read on here somewhere that the coil on the 346xp will limit you to 14,100. Someone on here remarked that they thought it was stamped on the coil itself. I have a new 346xp I purchased in Jan. 2011 but I have not looked so can't say for sure.

probably a little rich

It's good you're on the up against the rich end of the limiters it will allow you to lean it out. I don't know if you're breaking it in at twin fall elevation or up in the hills. But if it is at twin falls elevation and you plan on going up to the mixed conifer you may eventually have to cut the limiters off to get it to lean out enough to run right at the higher elevations around there. (edit-- you asked in another thread about cat vs non-cat and yes, in my opinion -- it is worth the time and money to get a non-cat muffler -- sorry you ended up with the etech model)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back