Husqvarna dealership now available with Crackerjacks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I have always been a Husky man since I was I was big enough to keep both ends off the ground at the same time.Shoot, I was no bigger than a Chihuahua when I got my first saw, and it was a Husky.Now I'm giving serious consideration to dropping every single Husky I own in a chipper and pick up a Stihl after my latest trip down to our local dealership.

I needed a spark plug.No canoodle valves, muffler bearings, or anything complicated.I usually head on over to the next town to get my parts, but our local Western Auto is our dealer in town for Husky, and I avoid the place because all their parts are plated in platinum.At least, judging by their prices, they must be.

I sauntered in this afternoon and was greeted at the parts counter by a guy who looked like maybe he spent the majority of his earlier years eating paint chips.But, I figured if he worked there, he sure as shootin should be able to manage a spark plug.Wow was I wrong.

"Hi, I need a plug for a Husky 372"
Blank stare.....
Hmmm, okay." I need a SPARK PLUG for a 372"

Without a word he breaks out the book and starts thumbing through it.I kinda wondered why in the hell he had a computer on the counter, but maybe he just keeps it around to play tetris or something.I guess I was asking too much for him to grab the mouse and find my part the easy way.

"What kind of plug?"
"372"
"Don't even see that number....does it have a letter before the numbers?"

"That's not the number of the plug, that is the model number of the saw.A Husky 372.A Husqvarna 372"

"Do you need a resistor or non resistor?"

"Well, I don't play the radio on the saw much.The battery makes it really heavy, and i hate having to turn the dang thing up every time I gun it in the cut."
More blank stares......

An elderly gentlemen was sitting on the stool nearby, and with a grin he came over and took the book from the guy.He thumbed through it for a second, then asked me if it was a 372,372xp,372xpg, or a 372xpw.

Then it was my turn for a blank stare.What friggin difference does it make what kind of handle it has on it?And who the hell heard of a plain ole 372?Trying to keep my cool, I replied that it was a 372xp.

"What year?"

You have got to be kidding me.What friggin difference does it make what year?Husky hasn't changed much in that saw since 2000, and as far as I know they haven't changed what plug it uses.To make the gent get moving, I muttered a guess, "2008"

Finally the old gent got moving towards the back, and I began to breathe again.I sat for a bit, ate a sandwich I found in my jacket pocket, shaved twice, watched 91 reruns of "Friends" on the boob tube, and applied for social security while he was gone.I stood there so long my toe nails grew right out the end of my boots and latched on to a pile of brake drums laying on the floor.

Just as I was sure the old guy had either fallen asleep back there or died of rickets, he came shuffling back with a plug.He somehow looked a hell of a lot older by the time he made it back to the counter,but never the less he had a plug in his hand.
He rang me up,charged me $4.00 for the plug which convinced me he had it flown in from Paraguay and charged me the freight, and I made my way out to the truck.
I don't know why, but instinct told me to compare it to the old plug,and sure as shootin it wasnt even close.I think he gave me a plug for a diesel engine last used on the Titanic,but I'm not sure.Dragging the saw and the new plug with me, I went back into the store.

After I announced that I had the wrong plug, and I would really like a plug with the same number as the one in the saw, the old guy asked me why I didn't bring the saw in with me the first time and save him all the grief of looking it up.I really didn't have an answer to that,but I grit my teeth and managed a half smile and said, "Well, I reckon I ate too many paint chips as a kid, I just didn't think about that."

I finally got my plug, and made it home just in time to watch my daughter graduate from college.She was 13 when I left this morning.

LMAO at a great story!!!!

Although the story sounds so familiar. I go to the dealer, husqvarna or stihl and the majority of the time it takes an unbelievable amount of time. EVEN if I take my own part numbers. Most of the time they do not have the needed parts. I have found that it is just much easier to hit ebay or some where else online to get parts. And before you drop the huskies in the chipper I will send a PM with my adreess :hmm3grin2orange:

:givebeer::givebeer:

That was a funny story. Great writing! :laugh:

But I have the exact opposite experience at my Husky dealer . They are fast, have parts in stock and cheaper than I can order them?

Stories like this make me very happy to have a good Stihl dealer about 5 miles away and an excellent Husky/Dolmar dealer 10 miles away. But $4 for a plug is outrageous. Hell I can get a box of ten plugs from my local NAPA for $13 out the door.

Customer service at its best...wonder what the first plug fit?

I do not know what you do for a living,but you would be great writing novels. That was a well thought out over all great piece of writing. By the way glad you got your plug.

The pricing sounds like my day at the John Deere dealership. I went in to order a new diesel filter head for the tractor. They used their computer and had the filter head and price up on the screen within 15 seconds. The head will be in on Tuesday. :clap:

Since TSC doesn't carry circle cotter pins, I decided to get some from JD. I only needed one, but asked for four (always good to have extra pins for a tractor). He came back and mumbled, "$3.15." I thought that was okay (you know, less than a buck a pin). He finished his mumble by saying, "...times four totals $12.60 plus tax."

Aaargh, $3.15 per pin! Anybody need a gold plated circle cotter pin? :bang:

Pointer what is a circle cotter pin? A picture would help this former paint chip eater.

Sounds about the same here and it doesn't matter if it is a husky or a stihl.
My story is close to the same but not a spark plug but a piston and ring for a 55. with serial number in hand I approch the counter and say I want a piston and the ring for a husky 55.
Is that a rancher model.
No just a 55, here is the serial numbe I wrote down off the saw.
Hum that seems to be an odd number for a serial number.
OH OH here it is, we don't have one will have to order it got to collect for it first though.
Two weeks latter they call me and said the piston was in.
I go get the piston come the 20 miles home to find out I will have to turn about a 1/2 inch off the piston if I want to get it in the jug that came with the saw.
I return it and ask HOW in the world did I get the wrong piston when ya all saw the serial number.
No answer just a blank stare. I tell them I need the right piston and they should discount it for all the miles they made me travel to get the right piston. No discounts offered so I walked out the door, ordered a piston from a dealer in Newfoundland Canada and the right one was in the box when it arrived.

Well I can be fooled once so decided to get a new saw but not from a husky dealer. I bought a Jonserred. What a mistake, those people were to deal with. they couldn't get it thru their thick head I did not want a 44 foot bar on it. I had to go take a bar off the rack and tell them to install it which I will say they did but then were lost on what size chain to use. I ended up just buying the saw with out a bar and chain. wish I had of walked on that too.

Now I would like to buy a new saw again but with the dealers in this yuppie filled area I am skidish.

:D Al

wow! I go to my local Husky dealer say give me a plug for a 372 he reaches up grabs one off the shelf am I am out of his shop in 2 mins.

I went in to the local dealer here looking for a scrench... guy says "I have to order them." I turned and left.

Haha! Good story!

I haven't worked in a saw shop since 1976, but I stihl know what sparkplug was used in a Stihl 040, 041,030,031,020,,,,etc.

Does anybody else know? I think the number is burned in my brain.

The answer is???????

Bosch WKA175T6

And no, they don't make this plug anymore, just use a Champion CJ7 or CJ7Y.

Bob

I have always been a Husky man since I was I was big enough to keep both ends off the ground at the same time.Shoot, I was no bigger than a Chihuahua when I got my first saw, and it was a Husky.Now I'm giving serious consideration to dropping every single Husky I own in a chipper and pick up a Stihl after my latest trip down to our local dealership.

I needed a spark plug.No canoodle valves, muffler bearings, or anything complicated.I usually head on over to the next town to get my parts, but our local Western Auto is our dealer in town for Husky, and I avoid the place because all their parts are plated in platinum.At least, judging by their prices, they must be.

I sauntered in this afternoon and was greeted at the parts counter by a guy who looked like maybe he spent the majority of his earlier years eating paint chips.But, I figured if he worked there, he sure as shootin should be able to manage a spark plug.Wow was I wrong.

Blank stare.....

Without a word he breaks out the book and starts thumbing through it.I kinda wondered why in the hell he had a computer on the counter, but maybe he just keeps it around to play tetris or something.I guess I was asking too much for him to grab the mouse and find my part the easy way.

"What kind of plug?"
"372"

"That's not the number of the plug, that is the model number of the saw.A Husky 372.A Husqvarna 372"

"Well, I don't play the radio on the saw much.The battery makes it really heavy, and i hate having to turn the dang thing up every time I gun it in the cut."
More blank stares......

An elderly gentlemen was sitting on the stool nearby, and with a grin he came over and took the book from the guy.He thumbed through it for a second, then asked me if it was a 372,372xp,372xpg, or a 372xpw.

Then it was my turn for a blank stare.What friggin difference does it make what kind of handle it has on it?And who the hell heard of a plain ole 372?Trying to keep my cool, I replied that it was a 372xp.

"What year?"

You have got to be kidding me.What friggin difference does it make what year?Husky hasn't changed much in that saw since 2000, and as far as I know they haven't changed what plug it uses.To make the gent get moving, I muttered a guess, "2008"

Finally the old gent got moving towards the back, and I began to breathe again.I sat for a bit, ate a sandwich I found in my jacket pocket, shaved twice, watched 91 reruns of "Friends" on the boob tube, and applied for social security while he was gone.I stood there so long my toe nails grew right out the end of my boots and latched on to a pile of brake drums laying on the floor.

Just as I was sure the old guy had either fallen asleep back there or died of rickets, he came shuffling back with a plug.He somehow looked a hell of a lot older by the time he made it back to the counter,but never the less he had a plug in his hand.
He rang me up,charged me $4.00 for the plug which convinced me he had it flown in from Paraguay and charged me the freight, and I made my way out to the truck.
I don't know why, but instinct told me to compare it to the old plug,and sure as shootin it wasnt even close.I think he gave me a plug for a diesel engine last used on the Titanic,but I'm not sure.Dragging the saw and the new plug with me, I went back into the store.

After I announced that I had the wrong plug, and I would really like a plug with the same number as the one in the saw, the old guy asked me why I didn't bring the saw in with me the first time and save him all the grief of looking it up.I really didn't have an answer to that,but I grit my teeth and managed a half smile and said, "Well, I reckon I ate too many paint chips as a kid, I just didn't think about that."

I finally got my plug, and made it home just in time to watch my daughter graduate from college.She was 13 when I left this morning.

Next time just go to Walmart. Isle 7 shelf 4. Right next to the XP's.

Blank stare.....

"What kind of plug?"
"372"

More blank stares......

"What year?"

At least your health stayed good as you aged.:biggrinbounce2:

I had a similar experience with a computer store recently. I asked for a part and was told that they would be happy to order it for me. I told them that if I wanted to order it, I would have done it at home from the comfort of my computer chair.

Ian

Went to the local small engine shop Mon. for a gasket(diaphram) for an B & S engine. The one between the tank and carb. I had all the #'s written down and had the old part with me and the girl sez that # doesn't look right. I had double checked it and it was stamped on the engine. Meanwhile a guy saunters over and without saying much he leaves and the girl sez call me tomorrow bout noon if u don't hear from me. She took my phone no. and I left. Well Tues.after lunch I was going to town anyway to vote and then wen t to the shop. The girl wasn't there, but the guy was and he said the part was in and opened the box and I produced the old one and they were the same! I paid they guy and left feeling pretty good and the new diaphram actually fixed my problem. I think my wife and I cancelled out each others votes tho.

Amusing as always.. Never fails that someone cant do what they are supposed too ..just do it yourself

Now I would like to buy a new saw again but with the dealers in this yuppie filled area I am skidish.

:D Al[/QUOTE]

Sounds like MQT to me???

Maybe the first plug was for a 2009 372??? :biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back