Husqvarna L65 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice rebuilt, Mark !

I like that series of saws as well, pretty compact and easy to handle.

That spike is not original, but looks pretty cool. Did you make that one yourself ? Where did you found that rubber grommet for the handle ? It is a part that is worn out on most of the saws I found, and makes the handle real wobbly.

Nice rebuilt, Mark !

I like that series of saws as well, pretty compact and easy to handle.

That spike is not original, but looks pretty cool. Did you make that one yourself ? Where did you found that rubber grommet for the handle ? It is a part that is worn out on most of the saws I found, and makes the handle real wobbly.

Why do you say the spike is not original? It was on the saw when I got it and it match's what is listed in some of the later L65 IPL's. Look at this 1984 IPL you will see what I mean.

As for the rubber grommet on the handle I just wrapped a piece around it for now. That handle was bent so bad I was just glad to get it useable again.

Yes I agree with it being compact and easy to handle but it isn't a light weight thats for certain. It is well built though.

I'd be curious to see how my "new to me" P39 would do up against it.

I like compareing these old saws for the fun of it. I think we can make that happen.

Why do you say the spike is not original? It was on the saw when I got it and it match's what is listed in some of the later L65 IPL's. Look at this 1984 IPL you will see what I mean.

Looking at the IPL, you are correct! I only have seen them with that lousy aluminium spike, like the one your 77. Yours looks a lot better.

I've got three of these....

so it got new brgs, seals, piston and rings as well as all new gaskets.

I've got one that runs and own two basket cases. I pull parts off the basket jobs to keep the one going. The L65 was the first saw I bought new, back in the 70's. It's built like a tank and I just like the saw, they'll run forever. But my big question is, where do you get new parts? I've looked around online and not found anything much. I'd need stuff like bearings, seals, new gaskets, etc. to rebuild one of my basket L65's. The local Husky dealer says he can't get 'em, or maybe he just doesn't want to try.

I've got one that runs and own two basket cases. I pull parts off the basket jobs to keep the one going. The L65 was the first saw I bought new, back in the 70's. It's built like a tank and I just like the saw, they'll run forever. But my big question is, where do you get new parts? I've looked around online and not found anything much. I'd need stuff like bearings, seals, new gaskets, etc. to rebuild one of my basket L65's. The local Husky dealer says he can't get 'em, or maybe he just doesn't want to try.

Ah yes the parts. The piston is a meteor from a ebay seller in Greece. The seals were with the old stock aftermarket gasket kit. I didnt measure them but I'm almost certain the seals would be a piece of cake to match up with generics.

The brgs were if I remember right 6202 C-3 brgs sourced from ebay as well. I bought 4 brgs there shipped to the house then I could have bought 2 locally. They were sealed brgs but all you got to do is just pop the seals out before you use them,.

I showed what I did to use regular tygon fuel lines and the carb kit is everyday Tillotson RK-23HS kit.

A litttle mail ordering and you can have everything you need. Maybe get the carb kit from your local dealer to throw him a bone?

L65 Help

I know these posts are about a year old, but if anyone happens to read this and can help... I just purchased an L65 from ebay, and it's fried, scorred piston and cylinder... Is there any pistons/cylinders from more modern saws that will bolt on to this? I know my 181SE will take the 288XP top half... If anyone can help with this, that would be great.

L65

I know these posts are about a year old, but if anyone happens to read this and can help... I just purchased an L65 from ebay, and it's fried, scorred piston and cylinder... Is there any pistons/cylinders from more modern saws that will bolt on to this? I know my 181SE will take the 288XP top half... If anyone can help with this, that would be great.

I have 3 of these saws, only one of them runs. I use the ones that don't run as parts sources. I bought my first L65 new in the 70's. I've never noticed any claims of pistons and cylinders from other saws fitting on the L65. I've seen pistons show up on ebay, but cylinders are more rare. Depending on the amount of damage, you might be able to salvage your cylinder so all you'd need would be a new piston. Salvaging a scored cylinder involves some work and a bit of technical expertise, but I've done one myself on a husky 350 that had seized. A new piston and cylinder would probably cost around as much as an entire parts saw on ebay that has good compression.

Thanks for the info, I haven't gone that far yet, just removed the muffler and took note of the scorring. I just rebuilt a 353, first saw I've rebuilt, and it seems to run VERY strong, I'll get some pics added to my profile. Hopefully, the cylinder won't be that bad, but there are a few used on ebay now...
Thanks again,
Brian

Just finished this saw rebuild last Sunday. Made for a nice fathers day to spend some time tinkering in the shop saving another old saw from the junk pile.

These are pretty much straight forward saws to work on. To make it easy I marked the ign plate with a chisel befrore taking it apart to keep from haveing to mess with the ign timeing. This one had set for some time and was a little rusted on the bearings and piston so it got new brgs, seals, piston and rings as well as all new gaskets.

Here are some pictures of the reassembly.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pressure testing it.
attachment.php

Vac testing it.
attachment.php
Hi modifiedbark, I was wondering if you still have these photo's kicking around. I am away from work just now, but planning to rebuild fathers saw. just looking for something to look at as to pre condition my mind. anyhow, take care and thank you

Back