Husqvarna Made in Japan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Don't know why the box states Made in Japan when the tools ID tag has Made in Sweden."

This goes to the credibility of the tag on any of their product doesn't it. There is a husqvarna model 36 chainsaw within 100 yards of me and it says made in USA on a tag under the clutch cover. About the time I joined There were threads more about a bigger bore one with the same crankshaft that had made in Sweden in writing the crank cheek or wheel. It has also been stated the cylinders for those were also made in Sweden. So what is a made in Sweden tag worth these days? It almost seems what is on the cardboard box over rules the tag.

Last edited:
Does the tags say "Husqvarna, Sweden" - or do they say "Husqvarna, made in Sweden"?

There is a big differense in the meaning of those expressions.

As we all know (or should know as well informed adults) "made in ..." has nothing to do with if a product really was produced in the country or not. Usually, as far as I understood, 10% added value is enough to make a product "made in...". So I'm no illusionist, patriot, nerd or similar about any "made in .." tag.

If it's important to you then just keep on believing.

Last edited:
There is made in and assembled in labels. And labels or tags with the location of the main office and mostly likely the incorporation address, often the only label or tag one can find. For example what I see here with Stihl it is either made in Germany or assembled in USA with parts from global sources, pretty close to that. Made in Germany on the bar if it is a chainsaw is generally the eye catcher even it has the assembled in sticker. At least Husky seems to use rivet on tags.

Made in does or is supposed to mean something, I recall Stanley getting fined for putting made in usa for sockets that they only plated and perhaps stamped lettering on in this country. Maybe the guy from post 1 will take a picture of the tag. I can read what it says on the box.

As I know the story, both Husky and Stihl originally worked around the Zenoah patents for some years before Husky eventually bought Zenoah - and they enjoy a technology advantage over Stihl because of that.

However, there always will be something we don't know about such stories. I know that Stihl is paying Husky in some way for AT technology, but not really if they do for strato technology as well.

Stihl does not pay Husky for any AT technology, in fact according to those at Stihl, Stihl was ahead of the game with the 270/280 platform testing the electronic solenoid to control carb functions way before it showed up on any Husky, need to check your source.........also the fuel injection that Stihl is using was first patented back in 1991. Keep dreaming................................
I guess if Husky is to ever enter the fuel injected market then they will have to fork over royalties to Stihl or sit in the corner. The cut off saws that are using the fuel injection have been bulletproof. Rumor has it we won't see it on saws until late fourth quarter this year or first quarter 2015. Simple to work on, that is if you ever need to. Echo has just about gutted Shindawia, in the last meeting they had a slide show of the operation, the only thing left at the Shinny facility that was up and running was the cylinder producing part of the plant according to the Echo wizards. They do produce a nice cylinder using the EDM process to shape ports and transfers, alot prettier than Mahle and Gilardoni both having ground ports.

As we all know (or should know as well informed adults) "made in ..." has nothing to do with if a product really was produced in the country or not. Usually, as far as I understood, 10% added value is enough to make a product "made in...". So I'm no illusionist, patriot, nerd or similar about any "made in .." tag.

If it's important to you then just keep on believing.

True, it is mostly about where the final assambly is done.

Stihl does not pay Husky for any AT technology, in fact according to those at Stihl, Stihl was ahead of the game with the 270/280 platform testing the electronic solenoid to control carb functions way before it showed up on any Husky, need to check your source..........

Stihl did some development work, mostly using the MS280 as their "test mule". However, they still must have needed help, since the EU more or less instructed Husky to sell Stihl rights to use Huskys AT Technology - justifying it by "avoiding a monopoly situation" in the market. The sourse of that info is very trustworthy, so don't worry about that!

Fuel injection is irrelevant to discuss here, until chainsaws that use it is turning up. As you said - keep dreaming! :givebeer:

That's how the labeling of a Husky product made in Japan should look. I wonder what the problem is??? :confused:
No problem to speak of. Surprising to see Made in Japan on a Husqvarna product. I didn't know any manufacturing of Husqvarna tools occurred in Japan. More of a curiousity than anything else

No problem to speak of. Surprising to see Made in Japan on a Husqvarna product. I didn't know any manufacturing of Husqvarna tools occurred in Japan. More of a curiousity than anything else

Well, they bought Zenoah (called Redmax in the US) from Komatsu in 2006/2007, so it shouldn't really be a surprise.

Anyway, now you know! ;)

Last edited:
Stihl did some development work, mostly using the MS280 as their "test mule". However, they still must have needed help, since the EU more or less instructed Husky to sell Stihl rights to use Huskys AT Technology - justifying it by "avoiding a monopoly situation" in the market. The sourse of that info is very trustworthy, so don't worry about that!

Fuel injection is irrelevant to discuss here, until chainsaws that use it is turning up. As you said - keep dreaming! :givebeer:

Holy crap...I actually agree with you !!! :dizzy: :)

Back