Husqvarna Model 51 chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the 55, the higher CC bro to that saw. It works well. It's a pro saw that revs lower. That's it. It's as solid as any pro saw Husky makes. And I like it a lot. It currently is my saw I keep in my service truck. In my other service truck I have a 372XT. That might give you an idea of what I think of it. I run an 18" bar with .325 RSC on it.

I've got the 55, the higher CC bro to that saw. It works well. It's a pro saw that revs lower. That's it. It's as solid as any pro saw Husky makes. And I like it a lot. It currently is my saw I keep in my service truck. In my other service truck I have a 372XT. That might give you an idea of what I think of it.

Husky never regarded the 55 as a pro saw, even though it has a vertically split magnesium case, like the pro saws.

Husky never regarded the 55 as a pro saw, even though it has a vertically split magnesium case, like the pro saws.

That's my point. It's essentially a pro saw from the way it's built, but Husky never called it one. The big differences are the rubber anti-vibe mounts and how it revs and accelerates.

That's my point. It's essentially a pro saw from the way it's built, but Husky never called it one. The big differences are the rubber anti-vibe mounts and how it revs and accelerates.

Husky 51 is my favorite saw. I use one almost daily, and have another in a box under the bench for when this one is un repairable. I cut at least 6 cords of firewood a year, plus helping neighbors cleanup the dead timber on their properties. Great dependable saw, easily overhauled, parts are cheap and plentiful, pulls 20 inch chain with no problems at all. What more can you ask of a homeowner firewood saw?

I've owned a firewood buisness for 10 years and have a 1997 model 55 pre rancher and a 1992 model 51. Both saws have cut between 50 to 80 cords a winter for those 10 years with no problems. Regular maintenence and chains and bars once a winter. These two saws are ridiculously reliable and tough if used properly. I've never owned another saw that was as good as these two except for my 372xp can't go wrong with them. I won't ever buy another x torque sorry to say they are no where near as good as the old saws.

There just as good if you ask me. 50 to 80 cords a winter for 10 years and no huge problems except for maintence is say there awesome.

I've got one...installed a 55 kit from Baileys when it was time...great saw.

My favorite of all Huskys is a 50 Special...it's a 51cc as well I understand...

Both are muff-modded...I run narrow kerf 20s on these saws, 20's a good length for me while limbing.
Dsm good saws

This thread has been around for sure.....I inherited a 55 when my best friend died five years ago and it was his go to saw since new. I tried it and it is a great saw for its size and ultra reliable. Since then I've bought or been given three 51's that have been toasted that I put 55 top ends on. I sold two and kept one to try, but now have more saws I want to try then wood to cut...LOL.

They made be old but they are new to me and others who never read them before , Husky 51 was the 1st saw that I ever bought and wish I never got rid of it.
Very dependable and capable little saw for sure.

Resurrection of old threads :bowdown:

Let's keep it going a little longer. I just bought a rough looking 51 on ebay I haven't even unboxed it yet.
Hahaha! I replied to this thread in 2013, 11 years after it was started in 2002. Now here it is again 9 years later and my 51 is still running perfect on the factory top end, still looks mint. One of my favorite saws for sure. Just cut up two cords of oak with it a few weeks ago. Damn saw gonna outlive me.

FWIW, I have a 55 that doesn't get used nearly as much as the 51. The 55 has a .375 chain, doesn't feel as good as the 51 with the .325 chain. Going to swap to a .325 on the 55 one day and compare them again, maybe this fall. Too hot to play chain saw games.

My list to choose from, all Husky:
61 x2
365 special
365xt
272xp
372xp
288xp
The 350, or 51 get used the most. The 36 had proven itself to be a great little saw for 5 years until I got the 51, now I rarely use it. Bought it new in '92, first saw. 30 years later, that's my list. Not a professional, but I do a lot of storm clean up, and nuisance tree removal. So far no accidents, just long, hard satisfying days of wood cutting. :yes:

Hahaha! I replied to this thread in 2013, 11 years after it was started in 2002. Now here it is again 9 years later and my 51 is still running perfect on the factory top end, still looks mint. One of my favorite saws for sure. Just cut up two cords of oak with it a few weeks ago. Damn saw gonna outlive me.

FWIW, I have a 55 that doesn't get used nearly as much as the 51. The 55 has a .375 chain, doesn't feel as good as the 51 with the .325 chain. Going to swap to a .325 on the 55 one day and compare them again, maybe this fall. Too hot to play chain saw games.

My list to choose from, all Husky:
61 x2
365 special
365xt
272xp
372xp
288xp
The 350, or 51 get used the most. The 36 had proven itself to be a great little saw for 5 years until I got the 51, now I rarely use it. Bought it new in '92, first saw. 30 years later, that's my list. Not a professional, but I do a lot of storm clean up, and nuisance tree removal. So far no accidents, just long, hard satisfying days of wood cutting. :yes:

Glad to hear you and the 51 are still doing good. That's a nice list of saws you have. My first saw was a 50 I bought new in 1986. Still running with the original top end. I did put crank seals, fuel line and carb kit in it. It was my only saw for over 20 years. I have added a 55 I got with a scored top end. Used an aftermarket top end. It runs really good good but compression is not that great. I also have a 545 and a 365 that I built from a Chinese parts kit. I'm looking forward to tinkering with this 51. I haven't opened the box yet because I had some minor cancer surgery and I'm not supposed to do anything yet.

Old threads are usually not worthless threads. That includes this one. I agree that a .325 chain feels a lot better than .375 chain on a saw of this size. More teeth mean smoother cutting and less grunt required.

p.s. Ammoaddict, I hope that surgery works out. Cancer of any sort is the pits. I'm afraid I need surgery on my left knee that I dislocated last year.

Old threads are usually not worthless threads. That includes this one. I agree that a .325 chain feels a lot better than .375 chain on a saw of this size. More teeth mean smoother cutting and less grunt required.

p.s. Ammoaddict, I hope that surgery works out. Cancer of any sort is the pits. I'm afraid I need surgery on my left knee that I dislocated last year.

Thanks, it was in my forehead. They said they got it all. About 15 stitches. Just not supposed to bend over for a few days or be in the heat. I have another place close to my eye that was not cancer but they removed it as well. It's bothering me more than my head. Good luck with your knee sir.

Latest posts

Back