Husqvarna Model 51 chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one...installed a 55 kit from Baileys when it was time...great saw.

My favorite of all Huskys is a 50 Special...it's a 51cc as well I understand...

Both are muff-modded...I run narrow kerf 20s on these saws, 20's a good length for me while limbing.

Well, to pull it from the grave again- I just got one for a great price... nuthin'.

Father-in-law saw it bounce out of the back of a truck going down the road a few months ago. Truck never turned around to get it. It ran, so we cut wood with it for a few months. It stopped running and he didn't want to mess with it so he gave it to me today. Spark looks good when grounding plug to top of head, compression feels good. He left gas in it for a few months, so I imagine that the carb is in need of cleaning. The chain brake is broken, so I'll probably ebay a new / used one and slap it on. Has a 22" bar on it. I recall it running rather nicely with my 16" on it over the summer. Anyhow, throw advice at me if you wish. I'm pretty stoked about it. Price was right in any case.

True that. Mine got clogged about 4 years into it and I just removed it and improved how the saw ran incredibly!

Since were reviving old posts i did find out the issue with mine. I already took the spark aresster out and opened up the exhaust befroe i was having issues. I found a wore throttle linkage that was causing the issue. The little plastic thing that goes into the slot under the edge of the filter cover was popped out as well. New linkage and the saw is now a screamer. Running 20"bar and it works like a charm

Husky 51

At this time all has been said. I purchased one used for $85. Wouldn't run said the owner. Well I found the gas line was cracked and replaced it. Like the other said,"This is now my Favorite saw!" I also have the 55 sitting right next to it in hopes that the two will procreate and produce an NE356XP, Ken

my 51

This is my 51. Best saw that I own. Light weight,good power,easy start and all of this from a (Stihl man), Ken

Stihl 041
Husky 55
Husky 51
Stihl 028
Stihl 025

Long-time lurker, first-time poster reviving this from the depths again, as it seems to be one of the definitive Husky 51 threads in the archives.

I've been kicking myself for quite some time for having sold my 026 a number of years ago when I stopped cutting firewood after we moved out of our old house. In any event, I'm now back in the market for homeowner use, and stopped by my long-time friendly Stihl/Husqvarna service dealer to see what used refurbs they may have for sale.

Among others were two that got my attention, both priced at $250: a Stihl MS250 w/ 18" bar and a Husky 51 w/ 20" bar that has been thoroughly rebuilt w/ new piston, rings, etc. The Stihl has far better cosmetics, but the folks in the place considered the Husky to be the better saw. I know the place does good work, so am confident in their rebuild. I wouldn't pay that price for either in the general used market, but tuned-up and refurbed obviously helps.

Thoughts or suggestions? I've generally been a Stihl equipment user over the years, but can tell from this and other threads that folks like their 51s. Thanks.

Bill.

I would take the 51 over the 250. The price seems little steep to me though. Welcome to the site.

Among others were two that got my attention, both priced at $250: a Stihl MS250 w/ 18" bar and a Husky 51 w/ 20" bar that has been thoroughly rebuilt w/ new piston, rings, etc. The Stihl has far better cosmetics, but the folks in the place considered the Husky to be the better saw. I know the place does good work, so am confident in their rebuild. I wouldn't pay that price for either in the general used market, but tuned-up and refurbed obviously helps.

Thoughts or suggestions? I've generally been a Stihl equipment user over the years, but can tell from this and other threads that folks like their 51s. Thanks.

Bill.

I would take the 51 over the 250. The price seems little steep to me though. Welcome to the site.

Plus one for overpriced. You can find barely-used 51s for $125.00-$175.00.

To pull this thread up from the grave again, how bout them husky 51's?

Great, great saws! I bought my 51 new back in 1991 and was my only saw for 20 years. Still running it today and the only thing I ever had to replace on it was the coil. I burn on average ~ 6 cords per year - heating my home and 24X40 shop. I like it so well, I picked up another 51 last summer off craigslist - it needed a piston & ring and now it runs great, too.

Here's a very recent picture of my original 1991 model:

View attachment 275201

Just like a 51, this thread dies hard

Mine is a '95, got it used a couple years old. Been running it ever since '97. My favorite saw. Never had a minutes trouble, still on factory p&c. Run 16" .325, 95% of the time. will throw a 20" on it on occasion.
Had the chance to run an 028 Super for a good bit today in oak wood. I like my 51 better. :msp_wink:

Mine is a '95, got it used a couple years old. Been running it ever since '97. My favorite saw. Never had a minutes trouble, still on factory p&c. Run 16" .325, 95% of the time. will throw a 20" on it on occasion.
Had the chance to run an 028 Super for a good bit today in oak wood. I like my 51 better. :msp_wink:

this thread/post helped me to settle a question. "should I sell my Husqvarna 51 or Stihl 028 super?" the husqvarna is a little lighter and about the same power. Plus I will get more for the stihl. Don't need two 50cc saws

Interesting.I have a Husky 55 Rancher and an 028 super.I'm keeping the 55 because its lighter and can use it for everything.The 028 is a lot heavier.Which ever saw has the sharpest chain wins.I'm trading the 028 for a lightly used MS250. I also don't need two saws of the same size.The 028 parts are getting tougher to find compared to what I own.

I have had mine for about 12 years, its a great little saw cut lots of wood with no problems. i reckon itw ill last me as long as I need a saw.
One of my most reliable saws!! Will cut firewood all day! Use mine for a backup mainly now, but at one time was one of my main firewood saws!
Do a MM with a 16" bar and keep the chain sharp! Excellent firewood saw! Ported outstanding!!

My dad has had a 51 for 10+ years & it's been a great saw. The carburetor just recently had to be cleaned & I serviced the engine as well & found out he had never serviced it before! He only uses it around the house or at hunt property so it only sees light use but it's always been reliable.

Back