Husqvarna Rancher 55 overheats and stalls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheedy

Reaction score
Calling all knowledgeable Husqvarna Rancher 55 experienced people!
I have a Husqvarna Rancher 55 and it was overheating after running it for a few minutes. It would quit if I took my finger off the throttle. I put a new air filter and noticed the spark plug was loose so I tightened it. I put an after market muffler on it and it seems like the exhaust exit hole is small? I also noticed there was no muffler gasket so I ordered and put new one on. One of the muffler bolts keeps turning so after trying to put a nut on I left it off because with the muffler bracket holds it pretty secure. It started right up and ran great until I took my finger off from the throttle it would quit immediately. I had to pull the choke out for one pull then 2 pulls without choke and it started back up so I kept my finger on the throttle and made a couple cuts and it quit and was so hot it was smoking! The brake assembly is melting and warping. The cylinder and hole for exhaust output is very clean and shiny. I could check it again to see if there is scoring? If anyone has any ideas I would much appreciate them. I am disabled with constant pain from head to toes and depression so anything I do causes extra pain. I have to get a lot of wood cut and moved asap because the DOT is purchasing a big part of our front yard and it's flat and dry and where I pile logs and oddball chunks of wood and dry my roughdawn lumber because there are pines that shade it and allow air to blow through it to dry. I need to get it done so a quick response would be a Godsend! Gods Peace! James

Chain brake stuck in the on position? Ignition coil could be failing, tank vent stopped up, carburetor out of adjustment. 55's are plentiful and parts easy to obtain.

Sounds like a carburetor issue from what I read you only have wide open . To over heat the timing would half to be off or straight gas .Sounds like a chain brake issue too maybe its engaged . I had trouble when they first put chain brakes on

Check the bolts that hold the carburator to the plastic partion. Those bolts are prone to stripping. If they are loose or stripped, the saw will suck air, run lean and hot, and most likely score the piston/cyl very fast. Sucking air will also cause the motor to die when you let off the throttle. Loose or striped partions have ruint many of those saws. Fix that muffler bolt asap, they put two of them on for a reason. Remove bar cover and check around the brake band for old saw dust. The dust can built up around the brake band and cause sticking, especially if saw is ran much with a dull chain Usually a blast of air will blow it out, but if its caked up, you might have to dig it out using a flat screwdriver. If those checks dont help, check the clutch springs. Weak clutches, will cause the chain to want to turn even at idle, this can cause dying when not at open throttle.

Make sure the bar and chain roll smoothly. I had a saw run hot and the bar had some burrs that were rubbing the chain making it very hot. Hot enough to smoke. Ran a little sand paper in the groove made the chain roll nice and smooth, now it's back to normal.

Back