Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What really matters is whay you prefer to hold and local dealer support.

From what I have been told, huskys rev higher, stihl have more torque. I’ve not experienced it, but I trust those who have mentioned it in the past.

Husky often have outboard clutches, this can make putting bars and chains on a bit more fiddly
than stihls inboard clutch, but can dissipate heat a bit better in high load applications and in some models it moves the bar slightly closer to the centreline on some saws.

Husky use to (still do?) use Allen head bolts without serrations - they have been known to loosen, may not apply to more modern saws. Stihl use Torx and they are serrated which don’t round as easily and won’t loosen as easy.

Husqvarna are generally a bit cheaper than stihl.

Husqvarna are generally known to have better air filtration and AV, but modern stihl have improved in both areas and are on par now.

Stihl parts can only be brought from dealers, not online or from big box stores, Husky can be found online.

Dealer support and personal preference should be a big factor. For years husqy had stihl av, and air filtration spanked pretty bad. Stihls really done a good job with some of their newer saws to undercut husqy in that department. Given the price difference and what class saw you're looking for would be more a determining factor then just straight up one vs the other.

Not sure what part of the globe you are at, but in Canada we are having a lot of supply chain issues with both, but its noticably worse with Husqvarna. Parts don't even have an ETA anymore for a lot of stuff. On the other hand I can get most Stihl parts within 3 weeks even for older saws. A lot of guys are dropping Husqvarna over it right now locally. If you have an Echo dealer close that's good to you go with that if they aren't unreasonably priced like in Canada lately.

Not sure what part of the globe you are at, but in Canada we are having a lot of supply chain issues with both, but its noticably worse with Husqvarna. Parts don't even have an ETA anymore for a lot of stuff. On the other hand I can get most Stihl parts within 3 weeks even for older saws. A lot of guys are dropping Husqvarna over it right now locally. If you have an Echo dealer close that's good to you go with that if they aren't unreasonably priced like in Canada lately.
Been having parts availability issues with husky for a while now, basically since late “China flu” days. Stihl for the most part has been pretty good even with older equipment. Historically speaking warranty issues with Stihl has been much better than Husqvarna in my experience.

That depends on what part of what tool manufacturer your talking about. They all have good and bad points. You don't have enough hours in your days to learn all the difference and updates that can be made by knowledgeable builders not a parts changer or general tech.

Same thing applies to automobiles in stock or altered states. Anything really having an engine. Parts can often be mixed and matched to get a much better outcome. Other stuff is doomed to old dated manufacturers design and the time period. Given enough time anything can be upgraded so it doesn't fail with new better parts. My pick is pre electronic inlet systems on Stihl chainsaws. Many are still offered in other countries globally. Second pick would be Husqvarna again available globally. Mix and match parts with these and Dolkita or Echo, priceless.

I have both. Local dealer with good saw mechanic is important. Husky controls seem more intuitive, but may be because that’s what I learned on. I like the oil and gas caps on Husky. Seems I can keep them cleaner. Go to your dealers and pick up and handle a few.

I have both. Local dealer with good saw mechanic is important. Husky controls seem more intuitive, but may be because that’s what I learned on. I like the oil and gas caps on Husky. Seems I can keep them cleaner. Go to your dealers and pick up and handle a few.
Forgot about the stupid stihl flippy caps. Biggest thing i hate about all my newer stihl saws. Make darn sure it's on right....

Yeah supply issues here too in Australia, well mentioned. We get stihl parts here within days. Husky it’s many months if they even make it here. Same with Echo / shindaiwa, you won’t get any parts support from them either.

There is no best brand, do Whatca like , how about learn how to file a razor sharp chain, and use a dam raker gauge,that would be the best brand ,
Maybe he already knows how to sharpen a razor sharp chain and knows all about the rakers. He asked a question about saws. Don't be a ****.

In the present alot of it depends on the models your comparing.
In the recent past when talking pro saws Stihls were pretty much turds compared to Husky. In regards to engine power, AV, air filtration Husky was a generation ahead.
In some respects Husky is still more advanced engine wise. Stihl presently has went to more Husky like designs and are now pretty good saws. It's really a wash at this point.

Maybe he already knows how to sharpen a razor sharp chain and knows all about the rakers. He asked a question about saws. Don't be a ****.
I think he can speak for himself. Why don’t you ask him that question, , What’s ur favorite brand, Wasn’t being a **** , ****

i made the switch from stihl to husky. stihl has had a issue on rubber fuel lines . i'm giving them a chance, i used to change stihl fuel lines every 9-10 months and am at 2 years on a husky 562. maybe i should sell my old stihl 361 and buy a husky 572.

i made the switch from stihl to husky. stihl has had a issue on rubber fuel lines . i'm giving them a chance, i used to change stihl fuel lines every 9-10 months and am at 2 years on a husky 562. maybe i should sell my old stihl 361 and buy a husky 572.
I just changed fuel line on my 036 Pro that I bought in 2003. First one ever

To me it would depend on use and model. I have trust issues with most saws new anymore. 5 series huskys have bearing issues. Stihl has their issues too. Why they all keep having so many Gen's of todays models.

There is updated bearing out for even the MKII 550's already.

I look at Husqvarna and Stihl like chevy and fords. Stihl is pretty proud of their stuff and more expensive than Husqvarna. Second source part on a Stihl it's a little more difficult. Husqvarna like chevy's... you can almost get parts at the 7-11or Stop & Go. Both very good saw, each model has it issues. There is a lot of support for both. Echo makes a good saw as well. Most professionals if they aren't brand loyal go with the best Vibration damping, lightest weight with the best chain speed. My advice is go with a professional magnum case saw with the larges displacement you can afford... don't make quick decision if you have to save a bit to get the larger displace saw do so! learn how hand file well, clean the air filter every day don't over tighten the chain. Run a good oil and non-E fuel premium. Lube your clutch bearing once in a while, blow chip out from under the covers and keep the bar oil ports clear. Flip the bar when it makes sense to you with chain rotation, hand filing etc.. Once in a while check or clean the spark arrestor screen. Buy a raker gauge. If you don't use the saw every day dump the fuel and run out the remaining fuel... we always intend to use it but life happens and then the fuel goes stale, and you're have problems when you go to use it next time. I personally own both Stihl and Husky's anyway my $.02 ...have a bless-it day.

Back