Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both. Local dealer with good saw mechanic is important. Husky controls seem more intuitive, but may be because that’s what I learned on. I like the oil and gas caps on Husky. Seems I can keep them cleaner. Go to your dealers and pick up and handle a few.

Forgot about the stupid stihl flippy caps. Biggest thing i hate about all my newer stihl saws. Make darn sure it's on right....
I'll give you the floppy caps and control lever, but my new 462's chain tensioner/side cover design is better than anything hva ever made and I love being able to actually see inside the gas tank.

It all depends on the saw. I have a Stihl 441 that is an awsum saw. It rips like crazy. Howver, it is a finicky starter and dont use it much anymore cause I dont cut real big wood for firewood anymore. I used to cut 40" Silver maple and stuff. Now days I will likely just fire up my ECHO 620. It is a little slower though.. My 034 was a very good saw , but my 026 is a dog and I finally took it in to the Stihl dealer that I know is very good. I dont know why the 034 is twice what the 026 is, but I hope it comes back with a problem fixed. As for Husky, they seem to be fading away in the midwest ,( WIsconsin) I bet a Husky 550XP? is a very good saw. I saw one for sale at the Husky ECHO dealer last year. Then a few weeks later it was gone. The guy got rid of his HUSKY 550XP and bought an ECHO 501P., but took the HUsky back a few weeks later. I bought his ECHO 501P and am happy . But tell me the Husky is a darn good saw. The dealer does not like Husky much cause of parts .

I'll give you the floppy caps and control lever, but my new 462's chain tensioner/side cover design is better than anything hva ever made and I love being able to actually see inside the gas tank.
Can't say I dislike the husqy side covers any more or less then stihl. The retained bar nuts don't do anything for me, and the adjuster isn't any easier or harder to use then any of my 3 or 5 series saws. I actually dislike the ms400 side cover when noodling, it's too small and doesn't clear out very well. I'm just too cheap to get an older style cover. Irregardless it's still a great saw.

Can't say I dislike the husqy side covers any more or less then stihl. The retained bar nuts don't do anything for me, and the adjuster isn't any easier or harder to use then any of my 3 or 5 series saws. I actually dislike the ms400 side cover when noodling, it's too small and doesn't clear out very well. I'm just too cheap to get an older style cover. Irregardless it's still a great saw.
I have west coast style covers on all my saws for that reason. Just more evacuation space. I am really enjoying the fact that the 572 has an onboard clutch as well. Still not super happy that husqvarna has the tensioner on the clutch cover but its not a deal breaker for me. Honestly though, if its in the woods with me I will use it no matter what I have and if I dislike the saw I either sell it or shelf it.

Forgot about the stupid stihl flippy caps. Biggest thing i hate about all my newer stihl saws. Make darn sure it's on right....
I like the flip-caps and captive bar nuts, fast and easy every time (I have both type of saw). I have a 1970? STIHL 015 with good fuel line, and so far haven't had any problems with fuel lines used with ethanol-free fuel on older saws. They also start well.

ECHO seems to be making good and affordable saws with 20-year-old reliable and affordable technology--they're like the Harley-Davidson of chainsaws, but more reliable.

Husquvarna seems to have moved much of its production to China and is at the moment seemingly suffering quality and supply issues, which historically seems to have affected every saw manufacturer at some point. The ones I've used are light, powerful, smooth, and cost less than similar STIHL models.

If I didn't have a great STIHL dealer I'd buy ECHO as they support the end-user with free parts manuals and affordable parts available on-line. No hate for any brand here.

I like the flip-caps and captive bar nuts, fast and easy every time (I have both type of saw). I have a 1970? STIHL 015 with good fuel line, and so far haven't had any problems with fuel lines used with ethanol-free fuel on older saws. They also start well.

ECHO seems to be making good and affordable saws with 20-year-old reliable and affordable technology--they're like the Harley-Davidson of chainsaws, but more reliable.

Husquvarna seems to have moved much of its production to China and is at the moment seemingly suffering quality and supply issues, which historically seems to have affected every saw manufacturer at some point. The ones I've used are light, powerful, smooth, and cost less than similar STIHL models.

If I didn't have a great STIHL dealer I'd buy ECHO as they support the end-user with free parts manuals and affordable parts available on-line. No hate for any brand here.
None of Huskys good stuff is made in China. Stihl makes stuff in China too, but again none of the pro models.
Captive bar nuts aren't a bad idea, but it's not really a selling point to me. I'm going to ruffle some feathers here with my next comment, but I actually like Stihl Flippy caps. Never had a n issue with them.

I have west coast style covers on all my saws for that reason. Just more evacuation space. I am really enjoying the fact that the 572 has an onboard clutch as well. Still not super happy that husqvarna has the tensioner on the clutch cover but its not a deal breaker for me. Honestly though, if its in the woods with me I will use it no matter what I have and if I dislike the saw I either sell it or shelf it.
I put a 362 west coast kit on my 400. @sean donato is right the stock cover is way too tight and clogs easily.

You will spend money and find what works for you. I ran chainsaws since 1980 I started with Stihl with a lot of problems. I watch a old man back then buck out load after load with a small Husqvarna. I was looking every load the Stihl would break. I went to town and bought a 50 special was real nice no repair just cut firewood. At the end find what works for you.

I own 5 Stihls and 3 Husky's. I cut firewood my whole life and had a pretty solid one man operation when my ex wife lost her job in the early 2000's. Cut 100 cords a year for 5 years. 3/4 ton Dodge, dump trailer, Stihl 026 and 046 mag. All hardwood. Dusty and hot. I'll stand by Stihl saws forever. They literally put food on the table and paid my mortgage. In my 40's I passed by a yard sale and bought my first Husky. A 372xp with a 28 inch bar. It was blown up so I rebuilt it and use it to this day. Great saw! Little heavy and more vibration on my hands but very nice chainsaw. I bought a 562xp 5 years ago and man does that saw rip!! I think if your buying a 60 cc saw that's my favorite. Climbing trees I like my Stihl 200t. 40-50 cc I would go find an old Stihl 026 and mod it slightly run a 18" bar. Mine is 33 years old. One new carb, always starts and runs. My experience with smaller Husky saws has been a lot of rebuilds. 346xp was great when she ran but leaned out at the end of the tank and cooked the piston a few times. Go run your buddies saws and see what feels comfortable. I lean towards Stihl but would run a Husky any day for a firewood session. Happy shopping!

I recently acquire a 235xp at a yard sale for $25. I pulled the rope, good compression. I got it, took it home went through it, fueled it and I'll be danged 3rd pull. I went out and started cutting small rounds with it. I'm sold on it. it's lighter than my 028wb by far. I bucked with it half a day and it never stumbled once. Fire up first pull every time. I haven't even picked up my 028 in a week of bucking. I've had multitudes of saws over the years, I like them all, but this one is now my small go to

Attachments

• 20240217_092815.jpg
    20240217_092815.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
In my experience-
Sthil- best power to weight.
Fuel and oil caps are a bad design, leak and are hard to remove without junk falling in the tank.
Husky-heavier, smoother, better air filtration design, more durable, better fuel oil cap design, less expensive, more room under clutch cover for chip clearance and replacing thrown chain.

Latest posts

Back