Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They both sold junky homeowner crap back then too. That and the Stihls of that era where antiquated from the get go.
They may have been "antiquated" as you say but they ran and didn't require going over the saws religiously to make sure screws weren't loose or didn't fall out. The 3 series huskys were good runners but had piss poor machining on the hardware other than the p&c.

They may have been "antiquated" as you say but they ran and didn't require going over the saws religiously to make sure screws weren't loose or didn't fall out. The 3 series huskys were good runners but had piss poor machining on the hardware other than the p&c.
I logged with those 3 series Huskys and I never had issues with screws falling out. If I were a problem a little low strength Loctite or a lock washer would cure it. There is no issue with the machining. Stihl has always used bolts with seated heads to help hold them in place. Not sure I have seen another company saw or other wise go that route.
Then there is the thing that I would rather do a preflight with a little loctite than deal with a saw that vibrates worse, filters worse, and cuts slower all the while typically costing more with less parts support.

I logged with those 3 series Huskys and I never had issues with screws falling out. If I were a problem a little low strength Loctite or a lock washer would cure it. There is no issue with the machining. Stihl has always used bolts with seated heads to help hold them in place. Not sure I have seen another company saw or other wise go that route.
Then there is the thing that I would rather do a preflight with a little loctite than deal with a saw that vibrates worse, filters worse, and cuts slower all the while typically costing more with less parts support.
You are correct on the better air filtration and antivibe. I've seen the subject of the 3 series rattling fasteners out brought up several times here over the years by respected members and machining was mentioned multiple times.

I bought a new 372xt several years ago, you literally could not run a tankfull through it and the top cover screws were backing out and about every other tank the starter screws were loosening. Out of several of the 3 series I have owned it was by far the worst. Having to carry loctite around or add lock washers to a top of the line pro saw is ridiculous.

You are correct on the better air filtration and antivibe. I've seen the subject of the 3 series rattling fasteners out brought up several times here over the years by respected members and machining was mentioned multiple times.

I bought a new 372xt several years ago, you literally could not run a tankfull through it and the top cover screws were backing out and about every other tank the starter screws were loosening. Out of several of the 3 series I have owned it was by far the worst. Having to carry loctite around or add lock washers to a top of the line pro saw is ridiculous.
Sound like you got a lemon.

I was having a problem with the muffler screws on a ms 461coming loose. I started using locktite on them religiously. I got a couple of Huskies, I just snug them down evertime I adjust my chain. It ain't that big of a deal, only takes a minute. I keep extra screws in my toolbox all the time for all my saws. I constantly tighten up the tension screw on my old Moritz Echo 650, I have lost a few. It's a dang long screw also, I tapped the barrel nut with a hammer to just barely distort it so the screw binds a little going in, it helped quite a bit. I ain't really into brand favoritism, they all get the job done. I just bought a new Stihl 362 to thin a couple of acres and buck it up. haven't worked it hard yet but gonna do it next week after I loosen it up a little. I don't do the m tronic stuff got the carb model with a wrap and a 25 inch bar, time will tell. So far I really like it.

The castings on a Husky and matching sre both very good.
I've never had a problems with screws backing out repeatedly.

I can attest to screws rattling out. My 395 had a slight problem with that. I ended up putting locktite on most of the downward facing bolts, muffler bolts, and flywheel cover screws. No need to carry locktite around though because once remedied, it never happens again. But I’ll take a Husqy 3 series over any modern Stihl. After the 3 series, I like Husqy and Stihl almost equally.

I've had and worked in a lot of 3 series husqys over the years. Ony ever had one screw fall out of the 390xp, 394xp had the muffler come loose/loose a nut once. Never had an issue with the 346xp, many 350's, the 359,562xp, 365, 385xp etc. Logging buddy has been using 372xp's since they came out up to about 5 years ago. Can't remember him complaining about loosing screwes. (Don't mean he didn't, just I can't recall it, and I do most his saw work for him.) Worse saw I've ever had for screws coming out is the flipping muffler on the stihl 192tc. Finally got to the point where I had to heli coil it and stick nord lock washers under each screw.
Not saying my experiences are the end all be all by any means, but I certainly haven't seen the screw just falling out of 3 series like some have reported over the years.

I've had and worked in a lot of 3 series husqys over the years. Ony ever had one screw fall out of the 390xp, 394xp had the muffler come loose/loose a nut once. Never had an issue with the 346xp, many 350's, the 359,562xp, 365, 385xp etc. Logging buddy has been using 372xp's since they came out up to about 5 years ago. Can't remember him complaining about loosing screwes. (Don't mean he didn't, just I can't recall it, and I do most his saw work for him.) Worse saw I've ever had for screws coming out is the flipping muffler on the stihl 192tc. Finally got to the point where I had to heli coil it and stick nord lock washers under each screw.
Not saying my experiences are the end all be all by any means, but I certainly haven't seen the screw just falling out of 3 series like some have reported over the years.
It's just not an issue..

I’ll tell you, I LOVE Husqy 3 series saws, but if I get a new one, I’ll go through it with locktite, first thing.

Latest posts

Back