Hutzl aftermarket piston.. thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_kindig11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, first off I'd like to say that I know there are literlly 1,000s of posts debating oem vs aftermarket pistons and I'm not trying to open another thread about heated discussions about whether or not AM parts should or should not be used. I have used Meteor aftermarket pistons and love them but saw these cheaper piston kits. Cheaper in price may mean cheaper quality...., but I'm not sure. After multiple searches, I never found any reviews on this particular piston. I have a short and simple question.

Has anyone used this "china" aftermarket piston, and if so, what were your thoughts on it. I'm not really interested in discussions on any other AM pistons at the moment. I've tried a few but was considering this. I just want thoughts on this particular one if you have experience with it. It's cheap and thought about trying it in a personal saw. I realize the true way for me to tell is try it for myself, but if you've had one, used one, or are using one now, please let me know your thoughts on it.

Also what are the thoughts about using this piston with a set of OEM Stihl rings?

MS290 Piston Kit

I recently got two top end kits from them.
The husky 55 kit was excellent.
the husky 350 cyl was pretty,,well,,it needs some attention from a grinder !! :)

both pistons look good.
here are two pix of the 350 piston.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That piston does look very nice from the pictures. How were the rings? I have some good used OEM cylinders so I'm planning on maybe using those with the huztl piston. Debating on whether to use the huztl rings or OEM rings that I have.

That piston does look very nice from the pictures. How were the rings? I have some good used OEM cylinders so I'm planning on maybe using those with the huztl piston. Debating on whether to use the huztl rings or OEM rings that I have.

I re built a straight gassed HUSKY [cannot remember the model other than it being 46mm bore]some 18 months or so ago, for my neighbour from hell[ If it`s possible to break it he will], cylinder I managed to save & he wanted a cheap job, so I used a Huztl piston but I used caber ring/s & OEM wrist pin clips. HE HAS NOT BROKEN IT YET & it`s seen quite a good few tankfuls through it,+ it`s been abused by his straight gassing son in law, so I guess my take on this is it can not be to shoddy, can not comment on supplied ring/s & clips

When you get the piston compare the rings,and how they fit and clearances in the groove,go from there.
Check also the circlips,sometimes OEM dont fit properly.
check the AM circlips for "springyness " :)

Will do, thanks. I went ahead and ordered one to try put. So we'll see. Ive heard china rings are typically pretty hard, thus brittle.

I used one of their piston kits awhile back for a Stihl 025 rebuild. I used everything included in the kit paired up with a clean OEM cylinder. I can't say I've put hundreds of hours on it, but past the point of a conservative break-in period it still only makes about 140 psi compression. When I did the rebuild I was even wetter behind the ears than I am now so I didn't know to check the ring gap, but I can only assume now that it's a bit wide which is causing the lower compression than I would expect for a freshly-broken-in rebuilt engine.

I used a Hutzl top end kit to turn a Stihl 029 Super into an 039. I was pleased with what I received and used the cylinder, piston, seals, rings and clips supplied. I also got a fuel line, spark plug, air filter, etc. etc. but didn't use most of that (yet)

The saw is running fine but haven't put much time on it yet. I have a stock 039 and will sell that and keep this modded 029.

I bought another one of the kits and am awaiting the next victim to show up...

Well so far no negatives from users of this piston and/or cylinder. It's evidence for me to try it out. Thanks to all for your input.

All I can recommend is to replace the rings with a decent set like Cabers. You just never know what you'll end up with. Some are good, some are bad. Normally bad ones wear out fast and/or hook an exhaust port and tear the top out of a piston. Also check the port bevelling to ensure it is OK.
Been there, done it :(

Hutzl aftermarket piston

I have used 50 or 60 of em and had great success. I will say that caber rings are a step up though. The tolerances have always seemed real good except the 066 piston and rings. I had half a dozen that the rings did not float freely in. Just a tiny bit of touchup and they were great though.

I havet used them yet but I've had good luck with a company down in Florida, I cant say there name but all my customers that go for one step above total crap go for it and out of about 20 kits ive done in the last year ive only broken one rig everyone else is happey

I havet used them yet but I've had good luck with a company down in Florida, I cant say there name but all my customers that go for one step above total crap go for it and out of about 20 kits ive done in the last year ive only broken one rig everyone else is happey

You can actually have really good kits and crap rings. Even if they don't bust up you may also find that their wear is off the charts. Also do a compression test against Cabers and you may very well find you gain an instant 15psi with Cabers over the supplied rings.

You can actually have really good kits and crap rings. Even if they don't bust up you may also find that their wear is off the charts. Also do a compression test against Cabers and you may very well find you gain an instant 15psi with Cabers over the supplied rings.

Agree with you there, if you look at my saws they have metor pistons. I try to steer them towards the good stuff but they rather have cheep stuff in the last year ive had two customers want oem almost everyone else wants el cheepo.. I tell them that there no warranty against defects and there cool with it.

I did have a super cheep jug come in with a saw just for the heck of it I widen the ports drastically and that saws loved it..

Last edited:
Agree with you there, if you look at my saws they have metor pistons. I try to steer them towards the good stuff but they rather have cheep stuff in the last year ive had two customers want oem almost everyone else wants el cheepo.. I tell them that there no warranty against defects and there cool with it

Ah ha. Well that explains it then. They have Cabers already :D
I'm always wary of kits direct from Chinese resellers. They don't check them before sale and you'll struggle to get any refund if something goes wrong, unlike many site sponsors.

I had a problem with a cyl from the place we are talking about.
emailed them.
they said send pix,i did.
they said it's ok,i said i didnt like,they refunded my money and let me keep the cyl.
cant get any better than that.

At this point I think Im going to use a huztl piston with oem rings since i already have some oem ring sets that i got for less than $4 per set. I love meteor but if these perform as good with oem rings i'll have $20 in the piston kit (with oem rings) instead of $40 after shipping for meteor. Its not worth it if problems occur sooner with these kits but judging from the generally consensus i'm willing to save $20 and give it a shot.

Back