Hyd log lift cylinder size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellbent

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting all my parts lined out for my splitter build and ran into a question... I want to have a hydraulic log lift but I have no idea the size and specifically the stroke that I need for the cylinder. What can I use without breaking the bank?

Thanks, Hellbent

I used a standard 8" from tic. It all depends on you attachment points and how your building angle to the ground and height of splitter but for me a 10 was to long and the 8 was just right. Once your to that point mount your lift on your pivot pins n mock it up and play with one to find a good attachment point n measure the length.

I used a standard 8" from tsc. It all depends on you attachment points and how your building angle to the ground and height of splitter but for me a 10 was to long and the 8 was just right. Once your to that point mount your lift on your pivot pins n mock it up and play with one to find a good attachment point n measure the length.

look for a cylinder you want, find the specs on the mounting for it (usually available on company website), build your lift and cylinder mounts, then measure for the cylinder length, as length will vary depending how far you want your lift to "lift" or how low you want it to go. i have a 20" stroke cylinder on mine but my lift will go from about 6" below ground surface (incase of uneven ground) to completely verticle for towing...
BTW a 2-1/2" cylinder should be more than enough depending where your mounts end up...

Hmmm... Does it have to be rated for the same psi as my main splitting cylinder? Eg. If i have a 3000 psi main cylinder will i need to find ones that are rated for the same psi? Once you hit the 3K mark for psi the price seems to go up up up.

Hmmm... Does it have to be rated for the same psi as my main splitting cylinder? Eg. If i have a 3000 psi main cylinder will i need to find ones that are rated for the same psi? Once you hit the 3K mark for psi the price seems to go up up up.
are you using a two spool valve to operate the split cylinder and the lift cylinder? or do you have seperate valves?
if you just have 1 two spool valve you would have to set the relief valve to a max PSI that your minimum psi rated component is... (if you have a 3000 psi split cylinder and a 2500 psi lift cylinder then you would have to set your relief at a max psi of 2500...) now thats fine but you would have to give up tonnage on the split cylinder...

if you have seperate valves then you could set the split valve for 3000 and the lift valve for 2500, but you have to have the split valve plumbed before the lift valve for it to work properly, or you would be hitting the relief on your lift valve while operating your split valve...

Essentially what i'm going for is something pretty close to the built-rite and timberwolf tw5/6. I plan to have a prince auto cycle with power beyond port and then two spool valve running a log lift and adjustable wedge. I would for sure want to go with 3k for the main and i guess the other two would be whatever would work.

For the lift i would want it to either raise to vertical or have some way to remove a pin on the cylinder and then lock it into a tow position.

I've worked on lots of hydraulic stuff before on all types of equipment but I'm learning there is a big difference between a parts changer and engineer

I've worked on lots of hydraulic stuff before on all types of equipment but I'm learning there is a big difference between a parts changer and engineer

Yeah I work with a few engineers that can't change parts!

You can also leave your pressures as is then use flow controls to tame down the speed of the lift up and down with different flow controls. I used this setup on mine and it works good for small rounds I can slow it down so it doesn't slingshot over the splitter towards me.

You can also leave your pressures as is then use flow controls to tame down the speed of the lift up and down with different flow controls. I used this setup on mine and it works good for small rounds I can slow it down so it doesn't slingshot over the splitter towards me.
yes needle valves,orface fittings and the like are a good idea to slow the cylinder down, but they only control the flow, not the pressure... but since he's going to run seperate valves, he can just run the relief for his split valve at around 3000psi and run his relief valve for the wedge/lift valve at whatever those cylinders are rated for...

Yeah I work with a few engineers that can't change parts!

Don't I know it too! I've had the opportunity to work with them on numerous occasions and even have a few in the family! Once at my summer job the engineers devised this "perfect" part that combined several smaller assemblies into one more streamlined, more efficient package. Awesome dream come true! Only problem was it couldn't be welded in the real world. They had about ten of us take turns to figure it out and we ended up agreeing that there was no real way to physically weld the part. I guess they say "back to the drawing board" for a reason!

Hellbent, here is my splitter in progress..this is how I did my log lift along with some pictures when I was trying to figure out the mount I new I wanted it to lift totally vert as well as lay flat on the ground so I took a piece of plate and chalk and laid a grid out on 1 inch spacing. From there I stood my log lift all the way up and knowing that the 17" stoke cylinder Im using is 28" long center to center on the pins closed I can figure out open length and how and where to mount my other mount on the lift Look at the pic probobly does a better job of explaining then I can.

S8000631.JPG S8000638.JPG S8000632.JPG S8000632.JPG S8000633.JPG S8000634.JPG S8000635.JPG S8000636.JPG

Hellbent, here is my splitter in progress..this is how I did my log lift along with some pictures when I was trying to figure out the mount I new I wanted it to lift totally vert as well as lay flat on the ground so I took a piece of plate and chalk and laid a grid out on 1 inch spacing. From there I stood my log lift all the way up and knowing that the 17" stoke cylinder Im using is 28" long center to center on the pins closed I can figure out open length and how and where to mount my other mount on the lift Look at the pic probobly does a better job of explaining then I can.

View attachment 341451 View attachment 341453 View attachment 341454 View attachment 341455 View attachment 341456 View attachment 341457 View attachment 341458 View attachment 341459
whats the pepsi can for/do? :D

for a known size and or relationship to each other, how large or a known size in a picture that's all

... well for drinking of coarse
ohhhh almost thought it was going to be your hydraulic tank, might not work too good if you have it mounted in front of the wedge though...:chop:
unless your making a can crusher, then thats a good spot for it:rock:

Back