Hydralic splitter storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Where do you guys store your splitter when not in use. Mine sits outside with a rubbermaid tote strapped over the engine. I could put it in one of the garages but it would take up a lot of space and seems like it would always be in the way. Only part that stinks is when you want to split in the winter and the beam is covered with an inch of ice. If I know I want to split I try to put it in the garage a day or two ahead to melt it. Does seem that eberytime I do that something else always comes up and I end up putting it back out to get covered again and never even use it after all that hassle.

Mine stays in the shelter logic shed. May try to put boat in ther this winter so it may go out under a tarp.

Mine is always garaged. Leave it outside in my neck of the woods and it wouldn't last a week before some crackhead would steal it to get his next fix.

Mine spent last winter outside with just a plastic box over the engine & pump (about 9 months between last use last year & first use this year). Don't think I'll do that again. Winter before last, I had a tarp over the whole thing. That worked out good. Worst thing about what I did last winter, is rubber stuff exposed to sun. I noticed last weekend when I was splitting, that one part of one of my tires was all checked - on the side facing the sun. I didn't give my hoses a closeup yet, but those would be a concern too. I'd like to just park it in a building but haven't found space to do that yet. Failing that, total coverage by a tarp. I got one about the right size, then put a few extra grommets around the edges & strung a rope through all those around the outside edge. It made a pretty secure cover that didn't go anywhere all winter, when pulled down to the ground & the rope was pulled in tight all around & tied. I just got lazy last fall & didn't get it on before snow came.

Where do you guys store your splitter when not in use. Mine sits outside with a rubbermaid tote strapped over the engine. I could put it in one of the garages but it would take up a lot of space and seems like it would always be in the way. Only part that stinks is when you want to split in the winter and the beam is covered with an inch of ice. If I know I want to split I try to put it in the garage a day or two ahead to melt it. Does seem that eberytime I do that something else always comes up and I end up putting it back out to get covered again and never even use it after all that hassle.
I keep mine fully tarped pretty much year round when not in use.I do use it sometimes in the winter.I'll say this, and it's important!Use some spray deicer on the throttle/govenor linkage.If it ices up and you start it, it goes right up against the govenor ,in other words -full throttle! This ain't good!

Outside. One day I'll build a building to cover it. Maybe.

Saws stay outside too for the most part. No worries about sticky fingers, have guard dogs and I'm not afraid to shoot and bury a worthless shitstain.

I store my splitter in my pole barn, the same one I store my firewood in. It rarely sees an overnight outside.

I try to keep mine in the garage but it's been outside under a tarp for the last week. (and likely to stay that way for the next month or more). My splitter is fairly small so I like keeping it secure so this one doesn't get gone like my previous one.

Mine rarely goes more than a few weeks without being used so it stays at the wood pile with a tarp over everything but the beam and wedge.

Mine is stored out side right next to the wood pile, I cover the engine. Got my laugh of the day over the ice on the beam and having to be taken inside to melt it off. OH my tummy hurts from laughing so hard.

I would just throw a chunk of wood on the beam and cycle the cylinder and ice would be gone.

:D Al

Mine is stored out side right next to the wood pile, I cover the engine. Got my laugh of the day over the ice on the beam and having to be taken inside to melt it off. OH my tummy hurts from laughing so hard.

I would just throw a chunk of wood on the beam and cycle the cylinder and ice would be gone.

But, have you ever had ice covered ants land on your beam? :) What then?

In the garage. But in the fall when it visits the hunting cabin I chain it to the deck and cover the engine with a piece of oiled canvas.

I store my splitter in my garage when not in use. I have a crowded garage with all the tools and stuff inside, like atv, riding mower, couple of dirt bikes, rolling tool boxes etc.

Anyways, to make tucking the splitter (huskee/speeco 22 ton) away easier, I store it with the beam in the vertical position, and also replaced the two tongue bolts with hitch pins so the tongue comes off quickly and gets clipped to the beam.

I also use these: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-vehicle-dollies-67511.html to move it around and get it out of the way. Still stable, moves around the shop with minimal effort, and with the tongue removed, it is a small footprint. KD

Ice covered ants, Are great to gather and dip in hot chocolate sauce. Be careful the sauce can burn you if your careless.

Latest posts

Back