Hydraulic Fluid ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON58

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I drained my splitter tank to do some mods. As it was flowing into the bucket I noticed millions of tiny bubbles. That was simply free flowing. When this stuff has a little pressure behind it it must be nasty in there. A old logger friend stopped in and said I should have used NON-FOAMING fluid. He said his john deere skidder requires the stuff. My question is would it make a difference in my splitter performance. My guess is it would have too to some extent.Less air a bit better operation?

Hydraulic tanks typically have the fluid return below the surface level of the fluid in the tank. This eliminates air entrapment (foaming) at the source.

If your tank is not built like what I have described I am not sure that anti-foam additives are capable of keeping up.

On a bright note, since the tank is now empty it would be a great time to inspect / change things as needed.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, My return tube (pipe) is down within 1" of the tank floor. I can see what your saying. That has to cut down on turbulance.

In most hydraulic fluids anti-foaming additives are used. The bubbles may have gotten in the fluid during the draining process. Those bubbles at high pressure produce miniature explosions like pinging in a car engine that cause erosion in the pump and cylinder.

Originally Posted by kevin j
check lyour suction line carefully. It might be sucking air. a joint that can suck air does not necessarily leak oil out whenparked.

Forgot, check the pump shaft seal also. They are internally ported to the suction side.
k

Originally Posted by kevin j
check lyour suction line carefully. It might be sucking air. a joint that can suck air does not necessarily leak oil out whenparked.

Forgot, check the pump shaft seal also. They are internally ported to the suction side.
k

That is the problem with mine. The top seal is worn out, and after bout 1/2 hour, foam sometimes spurts out of the fill hole/air hole cap.

Back