hydrolic block splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any plans. Built mine useing mark 1 eyeball on other machines.

In my opinion building your own is not an economic proposition unless you can scrounge or have most of the makings. If you have to buy a pump/valve/ram/engine and the iron you will probably come out even or ahead of the game by by buying commercial. The price of the hoses alone are outrageous if you have to have them made.

I scrounged almost everything but still wound up with at least 1/2 the cost of a commercial.

Harry K

'Mark One Eyeball' ... Spot on, no reason you cannot make your own!

I make things on a daily basis, save my employer a fortune.

You said 'Hydrolic block splitter'. Make a frame, and mount a bottle jack, presto Hydraulic splitter. A bit of effort, you do not need a engine. Now, what are you splitting... ... Logs? ...Slabs? ...Blocks?
Depending on what you want to split, the actual cutting edge. Mild steel will be OK, 3/8" for logs, 1/2" slabs, maybe 1/2" maybe a bit heavier for concrete blocks. Steel stockest will supply whatever you need, if you can weld it together yourself so much the better, if not there must be a fabricator/welder around Newcastle to help you out.
Let us know how you get on. John.

I built one last year, Vertical splitter with large table for logs at waist height. quite easy, old spool valve and ram i had lying around. I'll post some pics for you later

You could actually just buy one over at Beatty Kracker. They're less than $1000 and last a very long time. I've used mine to split logs in addition to its use splitting retaining wall blocks and pavers.

Can I offer a correction?

badgirldm said:
does anyone have the plans for a hydrolic block splitter please. Thank you :blob2:

hy·drau·lic Pronunciation Key (h-drôlk)
adj.

1. Of, involving, moved by, or operated by a fluid, especially water, under pressure.
2. Able to set and harden under water, as Portland cement.
3. Of or relating to hydraulics.

I just had to pick on the spelling. Concerning the splitter, go for it if you want. If you can weld, and if you can get the major parts cheap or free then it might be cheaper. If you figure your labor is free. Advantage is that you can make it the way you want it, perhaps faster, or stronger as well.

Mother Earth news may have "plans" that would give you some ideas.

-Pat

Latest posts

Back