hyrdraulic question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
If a splitter moves the cylinder bit won't build enough pressure to actually split wood...........

I'm pretty sure a pressure gauge on the outlet of the pump will tell me if the pump is the failure or the valve, but if you guys had to guess???
Its a homebuilt that is for sale locally, just wondering before I wave a few benjamins under the guys nose.

You can pressure test it, but there are so many variables. Are the seals blown out in the cylinder? Is the pump blown out on the second stage? Is the pump set right?
If it's home built can you/where will you be able to get parts for the parts he used and will it cost more than buying one that works?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but you need to know what you might be heading for from the start.
I doubt the valve is bad, most times they just leak when the seals go bad. You can pressure test the pump but you'll need a gauge that goes to 3000PSI and fittings to adapt it to your hose or valve.
Good luck, but really know what you are getting before getting your check book out.

Price a new pump or cylinder, whichever is more costly, and figure that into your purchase price. Is it still a bargain?

He was asking $300, was gonna offer $200. My pops said cut him in half at $150 and if he says no walk away. We'll see.

Could be pump, cylinder or valve and could be cheaper or a bit pricey to repair.

I'd guess either the whole unit has a bunch of hours or a part they used did and it's worn out.

Common causes for the problem you describe are worn cylinder seals, loose cylinder piston, broken spring in the relief in the control valve, and slipping coupling between pump and engine. Pumps seldom fail.

If a splitter moves the cylinder bit won't build enough pressure to actually split wood...........

I'm pretty sure a pressure gauge on the outlet of the pump will tell me if the pump is the failure or the valve, but if you guys had to guess???
Its a home built that is for sale locally, just wondering before I wave a few benjamins under the guys nose.
Just now, a pressure gauge won't tell you any more than you already know, there is not enough pressure to moved the ram through a log...
If ram is not moving, flow is by-passing somewhere....and that's why pressure is too low....
Start by checking the easiest ones first...

1. If the valve lever ie the valve spool can't make the full movement, the valve will divert part of the flow to the reservoir.

2. The piston seal can by-pass flow...retract the ram, de-attach the rod side hose from the control valve, and stick it in the reservoir fill hole or a bucket, make a splitting cycle attempt. If if oil is coming out of the hose, you have a faulty piston seal.

3. The pressure relief valve in the control valve can by-pass flow. De-attach the return hose from the reservoir, and do the same test as above. If oil is coming out either the PRV is leaking or the valve spool is not moved all the way.

4. The pump can be worn and by-pass flow. You will need a flow meter unit to check this out. Take the unit to a hydraulic shop for testing.

Back