I almost bought the farm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander9727

The Silverback
Reaction score
I just got out of a week+ long hospital stay. I got a community acquired Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (CA MRSA) infection that got into my blood stream and began infecting my organs and brain. I'm back at home now but am still feeling pretty weak and have to take massive doses of antibiotics for the next 6 weeks. It's hard to believe that with all the risks I've been exposed to during my life that I almost went out on a microorganism. If you or anyone you know gets something like this you need to get it checked out immediately. The best we can figure I was exposed on thursday morning and by Saturday night I was hospitalized and going rapidly down hill. I should be back to work in a week or so. My employees kept things rolling very well while I was gone so I don't have a ton of catching up to do.
Thought I'd let you know.

Xander, glad you've pulled through man, nasty little bug that one, you are very lucky. I have a brief and similar story (not trying to hijack yer thread), mine was exposure to Aeromonas (sp), a naturally occuring organism that exists in still and standing water. Our bodies normally fight it off as it occurs but if exposed to large amounts it can start to take over your system, I got it from swimming in my kids wading pool which I had neglected to chlorinate (1 time), never been so sick in my life and the only thing that fights it is Cypro, a cure that is almost as bad as the cause, over a month to feel sort of normal. Make sure you replenish your intestine's bacteria, I believe there are three types you will need, L. rhamnosus, L. acidophilus, and B. bifidum, you can pick them up as a combo in capsule form from any healthfood store and once re-established you'll feel much better.
Hang in there, sounds like you have a great crew too, bonus. How did you get exposed ya figure?

Your Good Health! :cheers:
Serge

Good for you

We read a lot about this resistent stuff.

Any advice?
Was there any job related aspect to this exposure?

The best we can figure I got it at the VA Hospital. Not to bash the VA, but we went down to get an ultrasound for my wife (she is 2 months pregnant) and while there I HAD to use the restroom. As usual I wiped the seat before I sat down but that doesn't get rid of MRSA. The sore is in line with where I sit on a toilet (now it hurts if I sit period) so I must have had a break in the skin to let it in. The restroom I used was in the main lobby. During the week they have coffee and donuts available in the morning. A lot of homeless come in for the free meal and to get out of the weather. I imagine they use the toilet at the same time. This particular strand is community acquired and is not present in hospitals. Since I don't rub butts with people this was the only logical way I figured I could have gotten the infection. On Friday morning it was a REALLY sore pimple. By Friday night it was the size of a golf ball. At 4 am on Saturday I woke and could not get back to sleep. The site was now the size of a baseball and throbbing with pain. I went to the hospital around 5:30 am and they figured (incorrectly) that it was an abcess and cut it open to let it drain. They made a 2" X 2" X across the infected area. It didn't really drain at all but it did allow the bacteria into my blood stream. I was sent home with percocet and bactrim (an antibiotic). I got home took my meds and laid down. I tried to get up and dressed at 6 pm and didn't feel up to it. My wife came home at 10 pm and I could get out of bed and started throwing up uncontrollably. She took me to the ER and I was admitted at 4 am Sunday morning. They misdiagnosed my condition as cellulitus and began treating me with Penicillin based antibiotics. MRSA is resistant to penicillin based antibiotics so my condition continued to degrade. Sunday afternoon my kidneys shut down, my body temp shot up 7 degrees, I had an uncontrollable migrane and couldn't even drink water without vomiting. The contacted the CDC and the infectious disease doctor on call and around 9 pm they ascertained that I probably had an CA MSRA infection. They switched my antibiotics to Zoicen, maxipime and cleocin. By Monday evening my headache was under control, I was able to urinate and my fever was dropping. By Wednesday I was able to get out of bed and use the restroom and started whirlpool baths to aid the sores in draining. Now I'm home and feel good enough to get around, surf the net, etc., but I still feel it when I over exert myself. I'm sure I'll be fine in a few days. I lost 8 pounds I didn't want to loose. I don't have much of an appetite but I'm sure it will be back soon enough.

Dang! Glad to see your better! Makes you think more than twice about using a public toilet!
xander9727 said:
The best we can figure I got it at the VA Hospital. Not to bash the VA, but we went down to get an ultrasound for my wife (she is 2 months pregnant) and while there I HAD to use the restroom. As usual I wiped the seat before I sat down but that doesn't get rid of MRSA. The sore is in line with where I sit on a toilet (now it hurts if I sit period) so I must have had a break in the skin to let it in. The restroom I used was in the main lobby. During the week they have coffee and donuts available in the morning. A lot of homeless come in for the free meal and to get out of the weather. I imagine they use the toilet at the same time. This particular strand is community acquired and is not present in hospitals. Since I don't rub butts with people this was the only logical way I figured I could have gotten the infection. On Friday morning it was a REALLY sore pimple. By Friday night it was the size of a golf ball. At 4 am on Saturday I woke and could not get back to sleep. The site was now the size of a baseball and throbbing with pain. I went to the hospital around 5:30 am and they figured (incorrectly) that it was an abcess and cut it open to let it drain. They made a 2" X 2" X across the infected area. It didn't really drain at all but it did allow the bacteria into my blood stream. I was sent home with percocet and bactrim (an antibiotic). I got home took my meds and laid down. I tried to get up and dressed at 6 pm and didn't feel up to it. My wife came home at 10 pm and I could get out of bed and started throwing up uncontrollably. She took me to the ER and I was admitted at 4 am Sunday morning. They misdiagnosed my condition as cellulitus and began treating me with Penicillin based antibiotics. MRSA is resistant to penicillin based antibiotics so my condition continued to degrade. Sunday afternoon my kidneys shut down, my body temp shot up 7 degrees, I had an uncontrollable migrane and couldn't even drink water without vomiting. The contacted the CDC and the infectious disease doctor on call and around 9 pm they ascertained that I probably had an CA MSRA infection. They switched my antibiotics to Zoicen, maxipime and cleocin. By Monday evening my headache was under control, I was able to urinate and my fever was dropping. By Wednesday I was able to get out of bed and use the restroom and started whirlpool baths to aid the sores in draining. Now I'm home and feel good enough to get around, surf the net, etc., but I still feel it when I over exert myself. I'm sure I'll be fine in a few days. I lost 8 pounds I didn't want to loose. I don't have much of an appetite but I'm sure it will be back soon enough.

Glad you're now going UPhill!

Any hospital is a good place to pick up germs, but a VA is probably especially bad.

Eat more garlic - it might keep some of the bugs away! :D

Wow, that is an incredibly nasty bug! My wife is immunocompromised. Something like that could take her out so easily.

I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend. Will there be any permanent effects, such as to your kidneys?

ALWAYS use a head gasket!

I use the "Texas T-Shirts" when they are available. Otherwise I usually cover with paper. This was one of those occassions when your going to go whether your on the toilet or not..............I should have gone in my pants!:cry:

what's even more scarry is what should happen if these bugs get resistant to our last line of defense drugs???

Serious

Wow:

You hear something like that and if you're not bullet proof like you were 30 years ago it's time to change.

I realize I can't change everything but I've got it in my head to be cleaner.

If this wasn't so serious I would have laughed at the Texas T-Shirt label. I hadn't heard that one.

Glad you are getting better, hope you are back to yourself asap.
Great to hear your guys took care of business, sound like you've got some good ones. Take care.

Blood and staph infections are no joke, I almost lost my right arm a few years ago after I had some surgury to correct a torn ligament. One of the aurthroscopic surgical sites developed some fluid that my doctor tried to drain. He pulled the fluid out on a wednesday and told me I should fine. I traveled up to NY for a family party the friday after. At the party that night my hand was feeling stiff and sore, by saturday morning it had started swelling up and turning red, also had low fever. Went to the emergency room and was admitted withg a diagnose of cellulitious also. By sunday morning my arm and hand were three times normal size and fever was up, blood pressure dropping, I was on IV antibiotics, and pressure pants to keep my blood pressure up. Infectious disease called in by sunday afternoon after treating doctor make some marks on my arm below my elbow telling my wife if the redness passes this point we will have to take the arm at the joint to stop the infection. Infectious disease set me up with heavy doses of zocean for the infection and some wacky painkillers that made me see bright lights and balloons after each dose. After 2 more days I was stable enough to be transported back to VA to my Dr. who had a PIK line installed in my good arm for more antibiotcs and surgury to clean out the infection from the arm. Had the PIK line at home with self administered antibiotics every 4 hours for 6 weeks. Most scary thing I have ever gone through, and am very happy to still be here with all my parts. Of all the big and nasty trees I have worked on that little bug almost knocked me out also.
Glad you are feeling better, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Here is a pic of the original site after 8 days of antibiotics. It's kinda icky so if you don't like icky stuff........don't look.:)

You're a sick man

You're a sick man. Posting your bottom side sores on the internet.

At least we can be on the humerous side now.

Some Doc says I've got cellulitious I'm out the door and its antibiotics you guys mention over the net or otherwise.

good to see you are getting better X.
hospitals are a good place to not touch ANYTHING. nurses, door handles, toilet seats... etc.

Xander, glad you are on the mend. Congratulations to you and yours on the new baby that is on the way. That is number 4 for you right?

Latest posts

Back