Welcome to the world of I bought a crap saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A month or so ago someone phoned me asking advice on buying a saw for his home use..I said, I LOVE my Echo cs352 and my Echo cs490...After his constant calling he finally made a deal on a 352 and loved it for a few days BUT decided he needed a bigger saw..SO.. he bought a Echo cs4910. For a few days that was "The Saw",, then he bought an old used Crafstman 1842.. I've have not seen that saw but I know about the Poulan 4218. I'm guessing it's the same or almost the same saw..SO he took the Echo back and got his money. TODAY he called again. THIS time he needs advise how to change the Spur Drive and choose the right Spark Plug.. I helped him for abut an hour. This guy has plenty of money BUT pinches pennies..I guess it's a habit..Years ago I learned MY TIME is valuable..IF someone has the funds to buy a GOOD NEW saw why in the world buy headaches..UNLESS you just love working on stuff.. WHEN I was younger I loved fixing stuff BUT at my age It's become a JOB..I'll help anyone if I can BUT...It seems insane to return a new Echo and buy a USED Crafstman or poulan then tie others up on the phone when THEY have work to do....IF you know you can afford it NEW ECHO is always a better choice than USED Crafstman or Poulan.. IMHO...This guy is almost as old as me and I am afraid he will bug the crap out of me over his crap saw. I can't hurt his feelings so now I suffer along with him..I KNOW there are OTHERS like me in this world..I don't like getting dragged into more work when it's totally unnecessary..Welcome to the world of CRAPPY SAWS. I think it's BEST to buy a GOOD one to start with....Ha. Ha. Call me a SNOB but I choose Echo or Sthil because I DON'T want to work on Saws all the time...Someone say Amen,,preach it brother.. Ha Ha..
Why would you hurt his feelings if you tell the guy "Buy a good quality product,I have to work and earn money to make a living!" If this situation happen to me I wouldn't be that polite at all. If he was a poor guy struggling ,yeah,MAYBE ,I would waste my time once or twice. But after that: " go see a mechanic,I'm starving over here,along with my wife and kids!" 🤕🙄🤔

I simply tell folks to google search specific things so they can spend their time looking it up and explain i can do it but you need to drop it off and xxx is my rate plus parts. Most of the folks that call me now just say to fix it and barely ask questions outside of what was it. At a minimum I expect a case of beer for my time for a friendly help/advice session, I don't drink but I also never need to buy beer for holiday get togethers.

Latest posts

Back