I bought the true temper 4 1/2# maul.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I couldn't find the Fiskars around here and I had a Lowes gift card for Christmas so I bought one the other day.
Tried it out this morning, works VERY well! I am impressed. I learned it doesn't like crotches, if you don't hit the mark on Oak just right it will bounce right back at you, and I am TERRIBLY out of shape!! Man that's a work out!

I did "alright" with it and I knew it was fast. Had a 25yo with some "agression" issues over this afternoon, He could do three logs to one on the yard machines 25 ton. I'm VERY impressed now!!!!

works well, but I broke the second head last week and want a better solution.. there cheap cast steel.....:cry:

My boys got together and picked one out for my birthday last year. I wouldnt trade it off I like it so well.

one each... first I broke with sledge in a piece of oak and the second chipped a inch and half long chunk out of the bottom...
I get the impression you were exceeding the limits of it abilities. I have an old Dunlap drop forged single bit axe that was abused similiarly. It withstood beatings from it's previous owner but I would never think of doing it. I learned my lesson long ago about hitting steel with steel.

I have stuck the axe and the maul on various occasions. I turn the log/axe over and beat the splitting stump with it till something gives.

Keeping the leading edge of the face polished helps to keep it from sticking, as much.

:cheers:

I have a True Temper 6 lb maul that is as old or older than me!
I always remembered it as a kid in my dads shed. When I bought my home with the fireplace first thing I did was get that maul put a new handle on it and split wood. Then came the two wood stoves still using the maul today along with a WW2 US surplus 4 lb Axe.
Now I have a splitter so I use it less plus my shoulder problem:mad:
I really hope they have not gone down hill in quality since then, True Temper used to make good stuff in my opinion. :cheers:

I shattered the handle on mine near the head. This is without any overstrikes either. They sent me a new one to my door.

I hate the flimsy fiberglass handle, but aside from that it's ok.

It doesn't compare to my Fiskars though.

I have a True Temper 6 lb maul that is as old or older than me!
I always remembered it as a kid in my dads shed. When I bought my home with the fireplace first thing I did was get that maul put a new handle on it and split wood. Then came the two wood stoves still using the maul today along with a WW2 US surplus 4 lb Axe.
Now I have a splitter so I use it less plus my shoulder problem:mad:
I really hope they have not gone down hill in quality since then, True Temper used to make good stuff in my opinion. :cheers:

I like a six pounder too, seems to get a lot more speed and can keep at it much longer. I'm getting old and can't sustain the speed with the 8 pounder like I used to.

Back