I bought the wrong saw (ms250) Now what??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run Stihl HP Ultra with premium pump gas at somewhere between 45 and 50:1.

This “32:1 is better for the saw” nonsense needs to stop. The engineers who design and build these would have built a machine to run 32:1 if it needed it, and then build it to what the EPA regs are. These new saws are not an 041. You guys do not understand engineering if you expect Andreas Stihl KG or Husqvarna AB to build a product and then recommend a fuel that will lead to early failure.

Have any of you guys who do this for a hobby and baby your saws ever maybe considered the stuff that goes through these from the people who use them as tools? It’s 50:1 because the manufacturer says so of whatever oil they have, probably something like Stihl HP and maybe mid grade gas. This is ridiculous.

I would tend to agree. Oils of all types have gotten MUCH better over the last 2 decades or so, especially with the advent of synthetics. Is any quality saw manufacturer (Chinese clones need not apply) anywhere in the world (to keep the EPA out of the discussion) currently recommending 32:1 mix ratio when using a quality mix oil?

Oh I’ve already window shopped haha but the next step is probably a splitter. Although part of me likes the work out my splitting axe gives me. I have a buddy who cuts and splits all of his wood every year using only a felling axe he bought from harbor freight. Also, he’s a pharmacist... he isn’t hurting for cash haha so I’d feel a little wimpy around him
Once you get into production, you’ll want a splitter. Some wood types are a joy to split by hand. Others, like red oak, have a ton of cross fibers that will make you lose your mind. I got older and just bought a splitter. I’m way past trying to impress anyone in my years plus, depending on the size of the rounds you are splitting, even using a splitter is the best workout I’ve ever done. I’m typically moving 300# 36” rounds to the splitter.

Well I had a coupon (I’m pretty sure I and everyone else always does) for harbor freight and their electric 5 ton splitter was on sale so I got it and another free tarp out the door for $200. Guess we will see how long it holds up. The wood I get for free is from a friend who owns a tree company. Basically all his scraps after he mills what he wants and stuff that’s too big for the chipper and too small for the truck to take. so a lot of it is knotty and splitting that was a real headache and proving to be a little dangerous. The big rounds I don’t mind splitting. So I’ve been using the little splitter for the smaller knotty stuff and splitting up the large rounds into more manageable chunks for the splitter. So far it’s been a dream. We decided to install a wood stove after our last power bill so thats the next purchase. this progression has been pretty comical.

It’s way more nimble than I expected.

Also if anyone has any wood stove recommendations or a direction to head towards and or beginner dos and don’ts id love to hear em.

@cuinrearview i just discovered that page right after I posted that question but so far haven’t been very productive from getting side tracked reading all the other threads over there haha

Well somehow I forgot my father grew up on a farm and my grandfather and great uncles built all of their homes and structures from timber they cut and milled. So my father reminded me of this and the fact that all of his chainsaws, large two person saws etc. are still at the farm in storage. So it looks like I’m making a trip to the mountains to get some vintage giant saws. I’ll be sure to update everyone on what I uncover. I remember seeing massive two person saws and the like growing up but I never connected the dots on me having access to them.

It’s way more nimble than I expected.

Also if anyone has any wood stove recommendations or a direction to head towards and or beginner dos and don’ts id love to hear em.

I am a big catalytic convertor believer. 1st model made it 25 yrs and it is now in the work shop and this guy puts out the heat.. front or side loader and nice viewing window that stays clean. It sits in a great room 35’ x 20’ with 16’ peak ceilings and will cook you out of the room.
fb29c3ae944794ee5e30a5577263b20c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back