I can stop the chain while in a cut ..Is my clutch beat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yophilly

yophilly

ArboristSite Lurker
I have an older echo 360t with a 12" bar and full comp chain. (ATV 'trail-saw') I keep it sharp and it runs well but I can stall the chain (not the engine) if I lean on it too hard. Is this normal? I admit I'm cutting wet, dirty trees--downed across a trail--and I'm also a novice. If I let off and take my time it WILL cut...am I just being impatient or is there room for improvement / worn-out parts? Is there a clutch shoe 'spec'? or minimum thickness of the shoes?

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
It's just a little saw doin' it's thing.

Let it pull itself and don't force feed it.
Use your ears, when it starts loading up(Lower tone), ease up a smidge and keep going. Every saw has a happy spot, and after a while you'll get to know it by ear.

If it was the clutch, as noted RPM's, would rise with the chain not moving, and you would be able to smell it.

Just keep the chain sharp and tossing chips and keep at it.
Good luck to ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

pgg

Addicted to ArboristSite
There's never been and never will be an Echo built that doesn't run out of steam at the slightest of pressure applied, you've got two choices here

1: Throw the Echo into the nearest deep dark hole and buy a proper brand of chainsaw such as Stihl or Husky. (recommended)

Or 2: Just get used to the Echos normal weak-kneed performance... (not recommended)

:pumpkin2:

Latest posts