I can't hand file a chain!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned this earlier in one of my posts about this type of file guides that uses the top of the tooth and the top of the raker to hold the file at the proper height. If the raker depth is not corrected FIRST before using this type guide when a tooth is about 1/2 way back the chain will just produce dust instead of chips. (because the raker is holding the guide and therefore also the file too high up on the tooth being sharpened)

I have not seen a 2 in 1 stihl guide out of the package. I was thinking that the 2 in 1 rested on TWO of the teeth so as the flat file will file down the associated tooth being sharpened at same time raker to the proper Height?????? (instead of like some hand guides that just ride on one tooth and it's associated front raker)

I also noticed that the 2 in 1 with the 5.5mm file is not readily available.
It was designed for full comp chain only. You could probably use it on skip (I have) but you have to rely on your ability to keep the file level. My experience is that it can be aggressive on the rakers.

It's only barely been mentioned... start by having the saw in a vice, preferably a vice with swivel base so you can spin the saw around.

Secondly, practice keeping the file angle consistent through the stroke.. I'm a southpaw, but for the right cutters I have the powerhead on my left, my right hand resting on the bar and hold the end of the file with 2 fingers, and my arm doesn't move, just my wrist.. keep a close eye on the file and you'll be able to keep it straight and level after a while.
On the left side cutters, I spin the saw so the powerhead is under my right arm, and my arm rests on it (elbow around the clutch cover), and the "feel" of doing the other side is exactly the same, both my arms are doing the exact same motions, which keeps the two sides of the chain the same..

I don't know if this can be swapped for a right hander reasonably.. Right side cutters I would do with left arm on the bar, facing the powerhead, left side I would probably be over the saw, with both arms anchored to my sides?

I gotta take a vid someday

The way I learned to round File was to start my logging career on a knee deep muddy landing with 2 skidders wadding muddy tree length logs up in a pile.

I would file and go try it and file again until my arms couldn't anymore,finally a old faller stopped everyone and filed my saw and cussed me the hole time,lol
I watched him and immediately was better and became hooked on trying to get better,that was 22 years ago and I still can't fix a round chain like him but I do alright.
I file down then back however many licks it takes then I'll finish with a little up pressure.
No idea what angles but pretty close to factory on the top plate.
I haven't ran a round chain in a couple years,square is all I use now.
Takes some doing to get half ass at it.20170509_191543.jpg

Im decent at round filing but normally I just use a Stihl USG sharpener. But after I found what angle to square file I find it easier. Hardest part is converting it.

I videoed a test I did with a square and round file with both at .025 rakers. The square self fed like butter
b09e7a90b227a14d0fbdb8ba2aec8048.jpg

Looks great. I'm having a hard time getting my angle right. Some of the cutters are square but most of them had forward lean.

Im not a expert on it. What some have told me is a slight lean is acceptable. What I've kinda found is the angles makes the chain. Like a good smooth self feeding work chain or a aggressive angle speed chain that's also smooth but gets dull faster.

I guess mine was on the more aggressive side. I was cutting live oak and couldn't believe how fast the first couple cuts were but it dulled quickly after. Swapped back to my good ol round lgx lol.

dont just shove the file through use your left hand to pull the file through while your right hand guides the file and apply steady pressure with both hands

This is all the more important when sharpening small chain using thin files. Single handed I'm afraid I'd break the file.

File guides are all that. I tend to think of a file guide like the difference between a telescopic sight versus iron sights. Yah, there's Kentucky windage. You may be able to drift it in or make that quick John Wayne shoot from the hip reflex shot but if you need accuracy then you need a tack driver and for chain thats a file guide. If I lived behind the saw I may lose the guide and think of it like taking off the training wheels but I'm not and there we are.

I bought one of those Husqvarna roller guide hand sharpeners a couple years ago and haven't paid to have a chain sharpened since ! Cut a couple trees down at a cemetery a couple days ago and one of the guys said wow who sharpens your chains ! Hard to believe but I think they cut better than brandnew chains.

It's only barely been mentioned... start by having the saw in a vice, preferably a vice with swivel base so you can spin the saw around.

Secondly, practice keeping the file angle consistent through the stroke.. I'm a southpaw, but for the right cutters I have the powerhead on my left, my right hand resting on the bar and hold the end of the file with 2 fingers, and my arm doesn't move, just my wrist.. keep a close eye on the file and you'll be able to keep it straight and level after a while.
On the left side cutters, I spin the saw so the powerhead is under my right arm, and my arm rests on it (elbow around the clutch cover), and the "feel" of doing the other side is exactly the same, both my arms are doing the exact same motions, which keeps the two sides of the chain the same..

I don't know if this can be swapped for a right hander reasonably.. Right side cutters I would do with left arm on the bar, facing the powerhead, left side I would probably be over the saw, with both arms anchored to my sides?

I gotta take a vid someday

I can file left or right does not matter to me. My right hand gets tired more quickly so I go back and forth. My suggestion whether right or left put something over the end of the bar to put your arm on it without getting cut.

Why not just take the saw out of the vise and turn it around so that you are facing the other side and continue the process.

When possible will make a vid. Thanks

This was a test I was doing with round and square with same raker hight. Not Scientific but good enough for me.
I was manly checking raker hight to see what would feed with no to light pressure. Square
Round

Very nice video, still the bottom line is the chisel bit chain has always been faster unless you are cutting Oak or hardwood. The square filed chain likely to be the fastest, but no matter what semi chisel last longer. If I had a large volume of soft wood like in the video then chisel is hard to beat, Thanks

Your right on semi chisel lasting a little longer I've got several of them. In the vid that was a oak that blew down end of last summer. Here's another vid I did after I cut some of it up. The chain still performed pretty good.

Back