I could use some collective advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay.....so I now have a 28" Stihl Light ES guide bar on my new MS-461R.

When I bought the saw, the dealer gave me an extra 28" chain for it. I now have the OEM Rollomatic ES bar as an extra and don't need it.

I don't need two 28" b/c's. So.....I'm now thinking that I want a shorter b/c for it. I'll try and use the NIB chain and the take-off bar as trading material to a dealer. I know that I'll probably need to kick in some $$'s as part of the deal, even though I'm going to a shorter b/c. I'm okay with that, not worried about it.

But, help me decide on an appropriate (shorter) bar length for the saw in question. Maybe something as short as 24"? Me....I'm thinking that would be a good length.

TIA!

18" is what I use normally. Haven't come across many trees that I couldnt cut.

What size of trees are you going to be cutting? Match bar size accordingly. If it's 2x4s in the garage you can go pretty small. All joking aside, my ms460 wears a 24/25" Stihl ES and it's perfect for what I do, but I've seen 20" on them also, but for me that's a different saws job.

What size of trees are you going to be cutting? Match bar size accordingly. If it's 2x4s in the garage you can go pretty small. All joking aside, my ms460 wears a 24/25" Stihl ES and it's perfect for what I do, but I've seen 20" on them also, but for me that's a different saws job.

No more big/tall tree dropping for me. Even when I was doing it, I was slow, overly-cautious and anxious. I'll be bucking um up and such, but will still consider dropping some "smaller" trees if necessary, and if no one is around to take pics of me doing it.

Hmmm, short as a 20" huh?

Wow, lot of 20" lovers out there...heh....I got a 28" on my MS440 and love it. It did come with a 20", but I have not even put on cause I love the 28", very little bending over and will reach limbs on the ground easily. I did pick up a MS660 PHO, so the 28" will go on that and will try the 20" on the MS440. Will be interesting with that shorter bar......At least a lot of you guys like the 20"

Back