I cut firewood because I ........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gather and process firewood because it is what I learned to do from my grandparents and parents. Some of my earliest memories are from helping my grandmother and mother gather small limbs and place them into the large baking ovens outside. There is nothing better than sitting under the trees with friends and family eating fresh baked bread covered with butter. The warmth generated by firewood is so gentle and nurturing. The processing of firewood is fun and therapeutic. Essentially, gathering, processing, cooking and warming with firewood is as natural to us as watching the sun rise every morning and set every evening. For us gathering, blocking, splitting and stacking firewood is a fact of life and it isn't questioned.

1. really enjoy the woods
2. i get to exercise my non go-to saws
3. i like to split wood by hand, its fun.

I am designated saw guy on the farm, The only thing in the past buncha years that got cut that I didn't do was the boss's friends who are bucket truck guys, they have trimmed some trees. Of course they just dropped the branches down and I cut them up. I maintain the edges of the pastures and fence lines, so it is a lot of cutting. I have to start this year some time clearing around the chicken houses, this will be a LOT of cutting.

I have wood heat

Been cutting since 1970 for cleanup various places or for firewood

I like it, getting more into doing problem trees for the engineering aspects of it

Fiskarizing rounds into splits is my target shooting sport

Bringing back the firewood is my hunting sport, including big fat round "trophies"

Taking the tractor into the woods is fun, I get paid to go bogging.....

Its just the whole process for me. From maintaining my saws to the final satisfaction of the warmth coming from the vents.

Just as harvesting meat or fish. I enjoy having as little outside influence as possible to achieve the goal.

Back