I decided to test my skills so I purposely got my chainsaw stuck in a dying 30 inch diameter Oak. I'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbnimble

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
d like to see if you guys would be kind enough to provide your best guesses as to how to get it out--for the newcomer too embarrassed to ask. I'll be happy to tell you who offers the best answer--in case some too embarrassed Boob decides, anonymously, to find out what to do, in case he comes visiting this wonderful website.

I deliberately got it stuck in a very nasty fashion for this purpose, alone. My notch was a perfect V. My cut into the opposite side was angled from the middle of the wedge ending just below the lower wedge cut. Withdrawing the saw, the tree failed to topple and the chainsaw kerf narrowed. Therefore, I made another cut above that one. In perfect professional form, she got pinched, just as I intended.

Who would like to win, "Best Answer for the Too Embarrassed Boob Contest"? Oh yes, almost forgot. 100,00,000 bucks to the champion answerer.

Thanks fellas.

If you are feeling invincible, and have a Final Will, Power of Attorney, life and disability insurance coverage, and no little kids who want to grow up without a father, use an extension ladder to get a rope installed high enough that you can yank the sucker over with the help of some brutes, or a come-a-long, etc.
A throwbag w. throwline works nice, but if you don't have wedges, I doubt it's something you have on hand.

If the bar is being pinched the tree is leaning the wrong way. When the tree set back it began leaning even further the wrong way. Do not make anymore cuts until you fix the balance issue. Wedges or a rope should work fine depending on the situation but both can cause hinge failure if you do not know what you are doing.

Ok. You've received good advice on freeing u'r saw. Now let's back up a bit.

Where you went wrong. First, you misjudged the lean. The back cut's kerf closed because the tree was leaning that way.
Second, if you aren't very sure of a trees lean, you should get a wedge into the back cut ASAP to avoid it sitting back.

Third, if a kerf closes, and the tree sits back a bit, putting in another back cut will either get you pinched, or worse, let the tree fall backwards.

Fourth, all the downward sloping back cut does is make your wedging less efficient. Try to make it level.

+1 on getting the power head outta there before you get cute. If it was me, I'd take another saw and horizontally bore from the back right in the original back cut all the way to the the hinge. Put a 12" wedge into the pocket and wedge it over
This one sat back, but I already had a wedge in the kerf

Thanks. I have kids but they'd prefer growing up without me. Can't find anyone willing to sell disability. (None recognize good risk.) Have nothing to will anybody except a pinched guide bar and the extension ladder that caught the tree as she started to tip over, snapping the rope. Two trees suddenly got in the way, so after knocking the ladder out from under the beast, they are carrying most of her weight. I did remove the powerhead. Thought about boring the kerf, but chickened out. Should have made the back cut horizontal. True.
She's a beautiful old tree. Massive, from my humble point of view. Tall. Rugged. Heavy. Towering. Grizzly. Stood straight up. No limbs for 30 feet.
I seem to have a real gift for dropping these suckers right on the money. I am not worried about bringing her down the last 30 feet. 3 trees are better than one.

Well, gentleman, thanks for your expertise and taking the time to share it with me. Sometimes I hate being so good at something like felling trees, you know? It is an overwhelming and awesome responsibility to have to be right all the time.

If you have a big monster resting on its stump and on two trees (that appeared out of nowhere) leaning at a 45 degree angle, what would you do next to bring her down all the way to the ground? Where would you make your next cuts? It looks like this /. I don't know how to include pictures and only my daughter knows how to take and receive them instantly--but she's out shopping for a life insurance policy--on me! Naming herself as the only beneficiary, I'm kind of flattered. I had no idea she believed I was worth $200,000,000.

I'm gonna say that if you have a big tree hung up on two smaller trees, and you don't have access to heavy equipment, I'd feel guilty about giving you encouragement. Time to call in a pro to clean up.

Assuming this isn't a troll since you haven't answered any questions other members have asked you. I have one more for you. Where are you located besides in a bind? Maybe one of the good members here could help you out or set you up with someone in your area. I for one will offer only one piece of advise call a pro before you get dead or seriously injured.

Species? Height/girth? Height of stump? Accesibility? Equipment available?

Oak. 50 feet high. 30+ inches in diameter. 3 and 1/2 feet high stump. In densely wooded and large rock covered slope. used 044. 4 wedges. Sledge hammer. Come-a-long. Sore back.

Latest posts

Back