I didn't get one round from this tree, but it was nice helping an old dude

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
Reaction score
A short background story is needed here to get you guys caught up on what happened to me today. After my buddy Joe and I dropped that pine back at the wife's church a month or so ago, Joe was talking with one of his co-workers who lives out by me and had a couple hardwoods get hung up against other trees during the whole Sandy thing last year. So last week I went and dropped both of the snagged trees and sectioned them up while I was there. While I was there, I noticed a monster oak that fell over (rootball and everything) on the other side of her property and I asked her what was up with that. She told me it was her neighbors tree and that it was already promised to another firewood scrounger. "Okay", I say to myself, "no big deal", and left it at that. So today I go back to load up some more rounds and I hear a saw fire up. Naturally curious, I walk over and greet the guy. Now when I was told this guy was coming to get the tree, I was thinking it would be somebody young, certainly not a 70+ year old retiree! But there he was, getting ready to dig into the oak......with a wildthing. So after talking for a couple minutes he fires up the poulan and starts cutting. He makes it in about 3 cuts before he turns off the saw and realizes something's up. So he takes it back to the side to start working on it, my saws meanwhile were still in the van. So after seeing him tinker with it for about 10 minutes, and then damn near dislocate his shoulder pull starting it, I offered to bust out my saws and help him. So I fire up the 5020 and got to it, letting him just watch as I cut. It took a while, but I got it all cut up for him. I even helped him load it up into his trailer. View attachment 303565 We ended up filling his entire trailer with rounds front to back, with another full trailers worth waiting for him when he comes back. I'm going back tomorrow to get more of my stuff and help him load up the rest of his. 70 years old. I still can't believe it.

Good for you! You know the geezer has done tons in his life so far, it never hurts to be neighborly.

Although a wildthang....he needs just a wee bit more saw, and one with antivibe to it. Not that wild things don't cut, but old bones don't need that aggravation.

Did you ask him how he busts his wood?

Good for you! You know the geezer has done tons in his life so far, it never hurts to be neighborly.

Although a wildthang....he needs just a wee bit more saw, and one with antivibe to it. Not that wild things don't cut, but old bones don't need that aggravation.

Did you ask him how he busts his wood?

Zogger, with one of those cheapo box store mauls! I'll show him the Fiskars and see what he thinks.

Awesome, always nice to help out! U'll blow his mind with the Fiskars. Bust open a round for him and show him how awesome they work. :hmm3grin2orange:

Rep sent for being a nice guy...

A farmer friend of mine had quite a few trees blow down several years ago. He allowed about a 1/2 dozen guys in to clean them up. One of the guys was 78 and he used a lawntractor with a 2'x3' cart to haul his wood nearly 2 miles to his house. He made 4 or 5 trips per day. One afternoon I cut a truck load of smaller rounds so he wouldn't have to split it and anonymously dropped it off at his house. A couple weeks passed before I could get back in to cut. The farmer told me the old timer had enough wood but he liked trigger time so he had left some wood cut and piled for "the guy with the red truck" as a thank you. It was 2 cords of oak.

Still Cutting and Loading

I still do all my own cutting and loading. Get the big ones home and I split them with my splitter. Been around a while too - DOB 07-30-1941. My saw of choice is my MS 260.

Nosmo

Rep sent for being a nice guy...

A farmer friend of mine had quite a few trees blow down several years ago. He allowed about a 1/2 dozen guys in to clean them up. One of the guys was 78 and he used a lawntractor with a 2'x3' cart to haul his wood nearly 2 miles to his house. He made 4 or 5 trips per day. One afternoon I cut a truck load of smaller rounds so he wouldn't have to split it and anonymously dropped it off at his house. A couple weeks passed before I could get back in to cut. The farmer told me the old timer had enough wood but he liked trigger time so he had left some wood cut and piled for "the guy with the red truck" as a thank you. It was 2 cords of oak.

That's awesome man.

I still do all my own cutting and loading. Get the big ones home and I split them with my splitter. Been around a while too - DOB 07-30-1941. My saw of choice is my MS 260.

Nosmo

That's freaky.... You're 1 day younger than my mother. And while she may not be cutting firewood, shes still going strong. No different to my grandmother who was still in her own house when she passed away in her sleep at about 94 (she was found in her chair, having apparently come in from gardening by her clothes, resting peacefully, no ill health at all)- she still walked 2 miles into town a couple of times a week in a small town in Wales (UK) to buy groceries, and had only been getting them delivered in the last couple of years- prior to that shed take it home in a small shopping cart. Her exact year of birth was uncertain.... Pre 1900 - and it was accepted as 1898.

I only met her two times, having been born in Australia .....

But GOY for the assist as his saw wasn't enough to do it easily.... I'd love the time to get my woodpile ahead and then to help cutting wood (as I do enjoy it).

And lastly - I think it's use it or lose it ......

As I've seen some 70 year olds go out prawn trawling professionally - a very hard game, usually done by exceptionally fit and strong young men.... And the reason was - why not? When I stop, it'll soon mean they will be burying me.

Last edited:
So now I know what I'm called. An old geezer. I'll be 70 in September, still the only way I get stuff done is do it myself. Sometimes us "old geezers" just don't have a choice. Me and my old 034, the 250 and tractor and home made trailer just have our way with these trees. Not swiftly mind you, but steady.

So now I know what I'm called. An old geezer. I'll be 70 in September, still the only way I get stuff done is do it myself. Sometimes us "old geezers" just don't have a choice. Me and my old 034, the 250 and tractor and home made trailer just have our way with these trees. Not swiftly mind you, but steady.

Geezer! You got some on me.

Hey, look at the stones, still out doing it, raking in the dough, making the fans scream.

Back