I didn't get one round from this tree, but it was nice helping an old dude

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zogger, I went back today with the Fiskars to show him how I split. The first thing he said when I handed it to him was "wow, it's really light. You sure this'll split those rounds?" "Watch", I say. With that I grabbed one of the biggest rounds I could find to use as my chopping block and then found a medium sized round to throw on top of it. I could see he was still skeptical, but that disappeared after 4 swings and the round popping apart. The halves were one strike affairs. The guy was absolutely flabbergasted. I explained it wasn't the weight of the head, it was more the shape of the wedge combined with the speed and kinetic force of the downward swing. I then proceeded to pop apart some of the bigger rounds that were about 20 or so inches big. I actually had him counting the number of times I had to swing on something before it split lol. He said he's getting one for himself now :clap:

Zogger, I went back today with the Fiskars to show him how I split. The first thing he said when I handed it to him was "wow, it's really light. You sure this'll split those rounds?" "Watch", I say. With that I grabbed one of the biggest rounds I could find to use as my chopping block and then found a medium sized round to throw on top of it. I could see he was still skeptical, but that disappeared after 4 swings and the round popping apart. The halves were one strike affairs. The guy was absolutely flabbergasted. I explained it wasn't the weight of the head, it was more the shape of the wedge combined with the speed and kinetic force of the downward swing. I then proceeded to pop apart some of the bigger rounds that were about 20 or so inches big. I actually had him counting the number of times I had to swing on something before it split lol. He said he's getting one for himself now :clap:

That's cool. Tell him about the splitting inside the tire trick as well, keep from bending over so much, plus much safer if you overswing, etc.

I am a mere pup of a neogeezer at 61, not quite geezer status (hahaha!), but I certainly appreciate the light weight of the fiskars over my old anvil on a stick...

Oh poop, that means I'm a neogeezerette! I'll be 62 come September.

I think it's good to help out when and where you can wiithout expecting anything in return. The reward in the end will be greater than y'all can imagine. I have one neighbor who is 82 that I helped with a red maple not to long back. Helped him buck the thing into rounds and split a bunch so we could get them loaded on his trailer. Later that week I went back and leveled off the stump because his wife wanted to use it for flowers. Another neighbor who is something like 74 who just had a pace maker put in. I heard through the grape vine that his doctor told him he could no longer use the weed eater. So ever since I've been going over every two weeks and taking care of about 400 feet worth of ditch along the front of his property and trimming around any trees n shrubs. He asked why I was doing it and I told him what I had heard. Then I went on to say that I'm killing two bird with one stone. I'm making it so his yard looks nice like everyone else's along that stretch and it gives me a bit of exercise. And as a bonus I get to keep my fuel fresh. (plus I try to be a good neighbor)

No payment of any kind was given nor expected. It's just nice to be kind and to help when and where you can. N hopefully when I turn into an old geezerette, and am no longer able to function as I am now, maybe some young buck might give me a hand. :msp_w00t:

Old age and saws

don't usually post but thought i would put my 2 cents in. it's not how old you are but the condition your.re in. y myself i have always been active outdoors and am in good health take i baby asprin a day. i normally fall and split by splitter 2 to 3cords every year. i use the wood for our fireplace and the rounds aare mostly 20 inches in length. the drought here has resulted in quite a few dead oaks. so far this year i have cut and split almost 3 cords. what i call face cords. 20 inches by 16 ft by 4 ft high. i am 83 years old. regards to all. ps my saws are a 260 pro. and a 261.

don't usually post but thought i would put my 2 cents in. it's not how old you are but the condition your.re in. y myself i have always been active outdoors and am in good health take i baby asprin a day. i normally fall and split by splitter 2 to 3cords every year. i use the wood for our fireplace and the rounds aare mostly 20 inches in length. the drought here has resulted in quite a few dead oaks. so far this year i have cut and split almost 3 cords. what i call face cords. 20 inches by 16 ft by 4 ft high. i am 83 years old. regards to all. ps my saws are a 260 pro. and a 261.

Good for you pops!

And you are right, just keep moving and doing physical stuff every day!

Good on you for helping anyone, us older folks often like to do it ourselves

or can be found helping younger(almost everyone else)people. But help is appreciated. I'm open to learn new stuff, as your new buddy seems to be, one of the things I learned just a few years ago was to use a couple of tires with the beads cut out and tied together to hold the rounds while splitting.

Yep - helper rep sent by me too. The good deed will come back to you eventually.

Storm - where you been girl?

Exactly, Karma! What goes around comes around. What you have sown you shall also reap!

N where I've been? Well, mostly spending some quality time behind a rake and shovel when it's not raining. I'll post in another thread in the hand tools forum in a few days if the rains can hold off just a bit longer for me to maybe possibly complete that project along with my regular chores like clipping the lawn, weedeating, and taking my scythe to the less delicate areas.

:rock: to everyone for this. Do I see a sticky in the works? With a few neighbors in their 80's and my parents in their mid-70's I could likely come up with a couple of good anecdotes. On the other hand my Dad will work me into the ground if I let him.

Good Karma - Good thread

Its great to hear of people helping others by cutting up some wood for them. Running saws/dropping trees seems to freak out most folks. When I cut for others they always seem amazed how fast trees become firewood, almost like its magic or something. I've even had people give me applause - it sure made me feel goofy.
Couple weeks ago I took down 2 Red Firs for a neighbor lady of about 70 years old. Her husband's been dead for years, but in his day he was a sawing man himself. She told of his favorite custom Husky that she still has in her basement. I bucked & split the firs and left them for her stove, and took a trailer full of rounds home for me. Those firs will keep me warm 3 times instead of 2. Once during the cutting, once during the burning, and once after seeing the warm smile on Erika's face as I shook her hand after the work.

Kudos to the OP.

Its great to hear of people helping others by cutting up some wood for them. Running saws/dropping trees seems to freak out most folks. When I cut for others they always seem amazed how fast trees become firewood, almost like its magic or something. I've even had people give me applause - it sure made me feel goofy.
Couple weeks ago I took down 2 Red Firs for a neighbor lady of about 70 years old. Her husband's been dead for years, but in his day he was a sawing man himself. She told of his favorite custom Husky that she still has in her basement. I bucked & split the firs and left them for her stove, and took a trailer full of rounds home for me. Those firs will keep me warm 3 times instead of 2. Once during the cutting, once during the burning, and once after seeing the warm smile on Erika's face as I shook her hand after the work.

Kudos to the OP.

The lady who's property I cut up that big oak on was talking with me about how she needs some of her encroaching trees cut back. There's some too close to the house for her comfort and quite a few near the septic tank and leach field. I told her I'd be able to do it, at which point she asked me if I had insurance. I replied no, and she got a little nervous (rightfully so). After telling her how I'd go about taking out the trees she was a little relieved. There's some pine mixed in with the ones that have to be removed, but oh well. I'll just put them to the side. Most of these trees are a straightforward drop. No weird leaners or anything like that. A couple are growing crooked, but nothing that a throw line and bull rope can't solve. I told her for me to carry insurance for the handful of tree jobs that drop in my lap a year would leave me bankrupt. Maybe she saw too many youtube videos of guys sending trees into houses. :laugh:

I'mm 66 soon to be 67 myself. I have this winters wood cut, stacked in the woods for this coming winter. All I need is some cooler weather to bring it to the house. This winter after hunting season is over I'll cut fire wood for 2014-15 winter. If I want it done I do it no body I know is compinet to do it for me.

My dad was cutting fire wood when he was 81 still splitting his own by hand at 83. We maybe old and slow but we are retired and have the time and wisdom.

:D Al

Geezer huh , i had 5 bipass's in 07 and can run 88 for a good 4 hr or a 460 all day . I did get a splitter though :hmm3grin2orange: 65 and cut for 5 famileys and heat 8000' of shop space 75 degrees cause of blood thinners ,iam always cold.

For inspiration, try Googling Jackrabbit Johannsen. He's widely credited with introducing cross-country skiing to North America, but on this forum he might get more credit for cutting his own firewood. He was supposedly still doing it when he was 100 years old. He lived to 111.

My dad's 69, this spring he got a bug up his tail and went out and bucked 80% of a 9 cord grapple load in one day. Of course, it's a lot easier with two Kubota tractors with loaders and both a Jonsered 451E and 2159 than a Wild Thing.

Still, good on you for helping out.

For inspiration, try Googling Jackrabbit Johannsen. He's widely credited with introducing cross-country skiing to North America, but on this forum he might get more credit for cutting his own firewood. He was supposedly still doing it when he was 100 years old. He lived to 111.

I heard of that guy. Supposedly did some freeking amazing as in superhuman athlete styled ski jump once.

Also try Snowshoe Thompson
The Story… | Snowshoe Thompson

He didn't live to be that old, but carried the mail over the snow-covered Sierra Nevada on 10 ft. long 25 lb. hand-carved oak skis. The story is a marvel to read, hard to imagine anyone could do this today, even with the lightweight gear we have now. Sorry for the thread-jack, but I just couldn't help it.

Back on topic, I hope some young soul takes pity on me when I can no longer do it myself. Turning 62 in a couple of months, spent the last three days getting up at 5:00 am to cut wood with friends. Once I get it stacked and calc'd, I'll be upgrading my Firewood Hoarder status (friend of Ben F.) to BTU-Possessor. Working on 2015-2016 wood now.

Last edited:
In ten days I turn 60. You guys make me feel young. :D

+1, I turned 60 twelve days ago. I already have my winter wood cut, split, and stacked (9 cords). I helped a friend and her son, who's husband (a friend of mine) died last winter, split about 4 cords two days ago, via my hydraulic splitter. I will also be cutting, hauling, splitting and stacking 5 more cords for them before the snow starts flying.

If us old guys just keep moving, we often "last longer". Processing firewood is a good way to stay in shape, IMO!

Back