I do NOT have CAD.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolslinger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
But apparently my father has a minor dose of it...

2012-08-17_15-49-57_279Small.jpg

The McCulloch is mine. Bought to deal with some specific trees. You can read the story of frustration in the McCulloch thread later once I've typed it up...

The rest belong to my father/family.

2012-08-17_15-50-53_131Small.jpg

The big Homelite Super Wiz 80 in the back was bought ages ago, new I think. My uncle was a general contractor, and used that saw clearing land for a couple roads, and developments in north Jersey... The last time it was run was 1974. It came out to the family farm after that, got put in the barn in the chainsaw area, and has been sitting ever since. This is the first time I've ever pulled it out to even look at it. I have been instructed to not sell the saw, because "it's a good saw, and would start right up". Uh... Yea, I see that happening... At any rate, I thought I'd bring it home as a curiosity, and since I can't sell it, perhaps I'll toy with the idea of a Lewis Winch... I can't imagine cutting with it.

2012-08-17_15-50-37_210Small.jpg

The Homelite XL-12 was our firewood and clearing saw out at the farm for many years. We used to go through probably 10-12 cord a year between the farm and our house in NJ. The burner at the farm was heating a 200 year old grist mill with no insulation except for the 4" thick oak plank walls. We had some plastic sheeting to stop most of the wind. 24" logs went in that thing, and just disappeared. Fortunately that was just weekends. At any rate, it sports a 20" bar, and has always been the rock of reliability... Until this week. I can get it to fire, and run briefly, but it then dies like it is starved for gas. It is also spilling gas out the cap when sideways, which is new too. So it isn't getting a vacuum lock in the tank (I ran it with the cap loose too to make sure). I guess perhaps a carb rebuild is in order, and a new cap too.

2012-08-17_15-50-25_333Small.jpg

This Mighty Mite came at an auction ages ago when I was quite young. I managed to get it going some time ago, but it smokes. I mean it smokes like it is just burning oil without gas. Never had any mosquito issues when I was using it though... I imagine I ran it with 20:1 back then though the cap calls for 16:1. I will get this going again if I can. While I live in on a tiny piece of land, I could use this a lot more readily than my Poulan 20", or the big Mac 795L... If I smoke out the neighbors, that's their problem...

2012-08-17_15-50-09_196Small.jpg

The Poulan (not mine) came some time after I went off to college/life in the 90's and wasn't at the farm much. This has been sitting for 6 years with the same fuel. So I'll dump it, give it a cleaning, and see if she'll run. Its obviously nothing special, but its a nice light saw, and would do a good job on a lot of the cleanup work we deal with now..

2012-08-17_15-50-16_582Small.jpg

Finally there's this basket case Echo. Missing the side cover/recoil assembly, and I don't know what else... My father doesn't remember getting this, nor do I, but it would be nice to have a second top handle to back up our Dolmar. When the Dolmar goes down, I have to do the up work with something that just isn't pleasant in terms of size, so I'll have to see if I can bring this one back from the dead, or failing that, it'll go on the block for parts for someone...

I have a little bigger Poulen that sports a 20" bar, and I've used every bit of it... I've nothing bad to say about them really. No bells and whistles, but they do cut...

I will gladly help to rid you of your Mac "problem"!:msp_biggrin:
The least I can do. Nice whack of saws to start with:rock:

That SW80 is in nice shape. Use something like WD-40 (I use a 3/1 mix of Kerosene or diesel and ATF) and a scotch brite scrubber to get the 'white death' (mag corrosion) off of the rear handle, then oil it up good to prevent a comeback. You can use some sandpaper wetted with the light oil if the corrosion is stubborn. Just don't use a steel brush or steel wool, as this can embed steel into the mag and cause more rapid corrosion.

I bet all that saw may need is a tank cleanout, a fuel line, and an RK-88HL carb kit to run again. It's not really suitable for a Lewis winch. Too hard to connect it (the Lewis is ran with a special cutterless 3/8" pitch chain), and it's much too heavy and powerful for that application. That's a 5.8ci/95cc gear drive monster capable of running a 60" bar of 1/2" pitch chain with ease (but not very fast).

The XL-12 would be better on a Lewis. Carb kit and fuel line is in order for sure. You can't fault that saw. The same fuel line and carb diaphragms have been giving you loyal service for decades. Today's gasoline is crap and ruins rubber parts much faster than the gasoline of old. That saw most likely has a Tillotson HS carb. RK-23HS kit will get you back in business.

You can run that Remington on 32-50/1 mix (whatever you run in your other saws), so long as you're using good modern oil and you retune the carb after the switch to that thinner mix. 16/1 was meant for 30w motor oil.

Your 795L may well need a carb rebuild too. Does that saw have a Walbro SDC or Tillotson HL? The SDC would take a K10-SDC kit, while the HL would take the RK-88HL. Check the fuel line in the tank to be sure it's still intact (all the way to the clunk filter). I hope you get the stripped spark plug hole issue squared away with no drama.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back