I don't believe my luck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just gotta ask after reading this are you a politician?
If you will read above you said stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves! Then instead of standing up and telling the man who knew nothing about chainsaws what he had you tried to lowball him. I honestly don't get it. I would not be able to sleep tonight if I were in your shoes. Sure you got a great deal and you had him right where you wanted him didn't you. Just curious if this would have been a little old lady selling her late husbands stuff so she could eat would you have handled it any different or would she too have been right where you wanted her?

Next time try this approach when something is undervalued from the start. Nice saw probably needs a little TLC I am kinda handy with them. I see you got it priced at $100 that is a good price I will take it since that is what you priced it for. You do realize these sell new for $500 plus so if I get it going it is quite a saw for the money! Hand over $100 bill! If he accepts you can rest easy and you still got a deal! If not you can sleep even easier knowing you did the right thing and he was not a man of his word anyway! Any man worth his salt will sell it for what he is asking even at a loss.

Not meant to offend just the dialogue of the conversation you reported just rubs me like hearing a politician talk! Good ol boy or trust fund kid I would still sleep easier knowing I done what was right and even though that $25 did not mean a thing to him.

:agree2:

Hard dealing with equals is one thing. If you can take a used car salesman to the cleaners, I'll cheer you on and buy you a beer for doing so.

Taking advantage of someone's ignorance is dishonest.

BTW, this "clown" was willing to buy a saw and do some work with it. He needed some help, but so do we all at times.

:agree2:

Hard dealing with equals is one thing. If you can take a used car salesman to the cleaners, I'll cheer you on and buy you a beer for doing so.

Taking advantage of someone's ignorance is dishonest.

BTW, this "clown" was willing to buy a saw and do some work with it. He needed some help, but so do we all at times.

Meeting a sellers asking price is one thing but THEN offering less after a steal of a deal anyway ?????????????
dunno man... :jester:

Meeting a sellers asking price is one thing but THEN offering less after a steal of a deal anyway ?????????????
dunno man... :jester:

I dummo either.

Op: I think you have broken about half of your list of virtues. :monkey:

Man, whats with you really. You grill the guy because he has a different kind of lifestyle than you do. Because he does'nt have to bust his knuckles all day to make a living. Heck, I'm almost jealous of the guy. If I had been smarter, maybe I could be sitting in an office with a/c, instead of chasing cattle around all day with sticks and building mile after mile of fence in 100° weather.
It really wasnt too "virtuous" to rob the guy just because he did'nt know what he was talking about. Hows that setting an example for your family or helping out someone who lacks knowledge?
Maybe I'm being a prick, and if I am I am sorry about that. Good luck with the new saw!

I'm thinkin the only way to redeem yourself is to sell it to me for 100 bucks, and give your 25 in profit back to the guy.

I'm a white collar clown but I'm handy with a wrench too. You can't always judge by appearances. In the summer I drive a Porsche and if you saw me you'd probably assume I was a "big dollar clown" too. In the winter and for outdoor adventures I drive a lifted Sierra. You'd probably think I was a good ole boy. Fact is I'm a little of both.

I bet that "clown" is damn good at what he does, judging by his success, and if you had to do his job you'd be lost. Some guys are good with their hands, some guys can convince the Board of Directors to fund their multimillion dollar project. That doesn't make one better than the other. Good for him for at least being willing to get his hands dirty and try something he might not be familiar with. My grandpa taught me how to live off the land, and his taught him to be a businessmaaaaann lol.

I would imagine the businessman is way ahead moneywise!

OP - congrats on the saw, hope you have fun with it. Regarding the desk jockey, just bear in mind that this forum is used and loved by a wide range of people with different virtues, abilities, backgrounds, priorities, life experiences, needs, values, etc. Just like the people you meet every day. We're each dealing with our own struggles and challenges, so a little kindness goes a long way. At the end of the day, the $25 you saved on a saw worth way more than $75 just won't have any meaning.

OP

If clowns like me didn't "shuffle papers around" your cars wouldn't get built, you wouldn't have any roads, electricity, water, or sewer service, and we'd be living in the stone age. All engineers do is shuffle paperwork, and what have they contributed to society? All accountants do is shuffle paper, we probably don't need them either. Lol dude you have a narrow view of the world.

I'm a polymer researcher/team leader and a big part of my job is shuffling paper if you will. BUT if I didn't do my job, there'd be no funding for projects, our chemists wouldn't know what to work on (and they'd have no money to do their projects), and the next super polymer might not get developed. Those Kevlar chaps you wear wouldn't exist if "useless" people like me didn't do their jobs.

I think this points out why I have a philosophy of providing only as much information as needed to convey the gist of the story. Sure, I post pictures of my saw acquisitions and describe them, but I do not comment on the buyers nor do I disclose what I paid for a saw (the $45.00 026 being the exception). I figure the price is between the seller and myself, and if the forum does know what I paid I suspect they would be more willing to pay street value if I ever decided to sell.

You never know who is on this forum or what name they may log in under. There was no reason to call into question his manhood, line of work, or limp handshake. For all you know he may suffer from arthritis and not be able to grip. Just because a person has no outward symptoms doesn't mean they may not have an illness.

These days I find myself paying full price if I find a good deal rather than trying to steal it for less. If the seller named the price and I paid it I am only doing what any other buyer would have done and I am not taking advantage of the situation. Sometimes there is more than money to consider...

I hope you enjoy the saw. Unfortunately, you may have to work hard to repair your image with other forum members.

Speaking of just my luck, well not mine really, but a fellow came into the shop the other day with a fairly new Stihl he had found on the side of the road. He said he turned it in to the Sheriff's office and nobody had claimed it so it was his! I figure it fell out of someone's truck. I keep my saws a little more secure than that..

Speaking of just my luck, well not mine really, but a fellow came into the shop the other day with a fairly new Stihl he had found on the side of the road. He said he turned it in to the Sheriff's office and nobody had claimed it so it was his! I figure it fell out of someone's truck. I keep my saws a little more secure than that..

Well i'll be dogone !!! you got to meet one of those rare people that have thet thar "integrity" thang i heard some gots ??

If you will read above you said stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves! Then instead of standing up and telling the man who knew nothing about chainsaws what he had you tried to lowball him. I honestly don't get it. I would not be able to sleep tonight if I were in your shoes. Sure you got a great deal and you had him right where you wanted him didn't you. Just curious if this would have been a little old lady selling her late husbands stuff so she could eat would you have handled it any different or would she too have been right where you wanted her?

Next time try this approach when something is undervalued from the start. Nice saw probably needs a little TLC I am kinda handy with them. I see you got it priced at $100 that is a good price I will take it since that is what you priced it for. You do realize these sell new for $500 plus so if I get it going it is quite a saw for the money! Hand over $100 bill! If he accepts you can rest easy and you still got a deal! If not you can sleep even easier knowing you did the right thing and he was not a man of his word anyway! Any man worth his salt will sell it for what he is asking even at a loss.

Not meant to offend just the dialogue of the conversation you reported just rubs me like hearing a politician talk! Good ol boy or trust fund kid I would still sleep easier knowing I done what was right and even though that $25 did not mean a thing to him.

I agree!

(not to get political) However, A lot of people are in a bad spot right now, because somebody somewhere "had them where they wanted them", and used their "ignorance" to pull one over. Maybe the poor sap was trying to do tree work himself (even if he looked rich) because he doesn't have a penny to his name?

Yup...

I worked on my own stuff for MANY years... and still do.

I was laid off from my Financial Planning position, because of big cutbacks... Usually drove my Modded 5.0 Limited Grand Cherokee to work, but sometimes the Cummins.

And, on the weekends, the facial hair grows out, and I wear dirty tee shirts, and ripped jeans... Gotta be careful of WHICH WAY you judge people.

I pushed LOTS of paper, and wore a suit EVERYDAY, for 12-16 hrs a day.

Now I have too many saws, but they are easy to fix.

and I DID NOT get my 6401 for $100, or $75 for that matter.

I'm not really offended by your comments, I'm assuming your young, and maybe lacking some respect for all walks of life.

:popcorn: STILL WAITIN on PICS!!!!

J

To the little old lady comment... HELL NO! The guy didn't have much common sense at all mechanically or otherwise... It was one of those conversations where you walk away thinking "how do people like that survive?" I mean seriously I had to wonder how he tied his shoes in the morning... I know some of you have ran into someone like this... You may not talk about it out loud is the only difference. I meant no disrespect for "paper pushers" in fact i do quite a bit of that myself. I think some of you are taking my comments a bit to seriously/personally. As far a break my own rules on what makes a man... Eh, I didn't really take advantage. If he needed $100 he shouldn't have gone lower. I said yeah nice saw, probably needs a bit of carb work I can do myself... What do you think about $50... He said too low... So I suggested meeting in the middle at $75 so I had the cash for a carb kit. He thought that was fair... For all I know he could have been lying and gotten it at the auction for $5 and just made a $70 profit... Yes I took advantage of the situation but honestly... How many of you would have told him the saw was worth $500???? Besides he wasn't exactly hurting for money... I am a lowly state worker taking home maybe 25K a year, putting a fiance through school, taking care of my niece, and paying for the needs of all 3 of us... Honestly if you guys knew I had to make the decision between buying a saw so i could cut wood to heat the house this winter instead of buying our groceries this month would you have troubled me this much??? Who needed the $25 more? I guess if you all want to be like this I'll go somewhere else to find chainsaw information...

Last edited:
To the little old lady comment... HELL NO! The guy didn't have much common sense at all mechanically or otherwise... It was one of those conversations where you walk away thinking "how do people like that survive?" I mean seriously I had to wonder how he tied his shoes in the morning... I meant no disrespect for "paper pushers" in fact i do quite a bit of that myself. I think some of you were taking my comment a bit to seriously and taking them to heart. As far a break my own rules on what makes a man... Eh... rules are meant to be broken... Yes I took advantage of the situation but honestly... How many of you would have told him the saw was worth more. Besides he wasn't exactly hurting for money... And I am...

Might be best just not to post it on AS. It might make it harder for anyone here to deal with you, should you want to buy or sell something in the future.

hyp·o·crite
noun \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\
Definition of HYPOCRITE
: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings
Hmm.

1.) Are the $68 air filter kits worth it?

3.) If i got the 79cc kit does anyone on here do porting?
I am a lowly state worker taking home maybe 25K a year, putting a fiance through school, taking care of my niece, and paying for the needs of all 3 of us... Honestly if you guys knew I had to make the decision between buying a saw so i could cut wood to heat the house this winter instead of buying our groceries this month would you have troubled me this much??? Who needed the $25 more? I guess if you all want to be like this I'll go somewhere else to find chainsaw information...
Sometimes knowing when to shut up is a serious asset.

Back