I finally bit the bullet!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baileys

Morning (at least here it is)!! Yeah as far as I know this only pertains to Husky saws didn't see or hear anything else and as far as I know the operator I talked to said they were still going to carry and ship parts just not the complete saws. Hope all is well keep the post coming nice wood on your other post!!! Take care mate!!

irish

here are 3 hidden enemies for your new saw

1. bad/stale fuel
2. foreign debris through the filter
3. and heat

and they can and must all be controlled

when ambient temps are <60*f i have no problem keeping the engine cool enough for continous milling. but when temps get above bout 70 then i have to take breaks for cooldown. sometimes i even used compressed air to cool down the engine.
remember this next summer and happy milling

Just to add a bit, Its good on the saw to let it idle for a bit after a long cut before switching it off. This helps to cool the saw.:cheers:

update

Just a update got my saw today its a thing of beauty!! Can't wait to get it dirty gotta order a mill (probrobly GB) and a shorter bar for crosscutting and milling smaller stuff all I have for it right now is a GB 36" and a box of their ripping chain (100FT>roll hope it works well) that I have to get made to the right sizes any suggestions on a good middle bar size to pull double duty?? Any one ever use GB chain (maybe aggiewood?)As for the bar I was thinking 24" but I already have a rancher with a 20" bar so maybe 28" would make more sense!! And by the way I asked about octane of gas it says in the manual any gas over 90RON i'm assuming thats octane it mentioned for long running continuous RPM's like limbing (milling) its better to use higher octane gas. Just throwing it out there. Thanks again for all the responses I will post some picks when I get up and running may be a bit yet though. Hope everyones holidays were great and you all have a happy new year!

You guys are killing me, i'd love to have a 395, but it doesn't look like it will ever happen... :cry: I'm afraid it's more of a "want" than a "need"...

Rob

long running continuous RPM's like limbing (milling) its better to use higher octane gas.

True...higher octane fuel is ignite with greater difficulty for lack of terms...doesn't 'splode as easily...burns slower, hence engine runs smoother and cooler...with maybe a slight cost in HP...but I'll take reliable over big HP
anyday...

My truck notwithstanding...but then it's a diesel, so I can be a power hog if I want..:greenchainsaw:

Congrats on the getting the saw...

Irishcountry,
We're on parallel paths here. My neighbor was admiring my new saw yesterday evening. So he calls me over to show me this beautiful, straight Pine log that we wants to mill. Fortunately, the wife was with me. Fortunately, we had all had a beer or two. ("I totally don't get this. You could go the lumber yard and buy wood. It must be a 'Man thing'...but, go have a ball.") So this morning I ordered the 30" Granberg mill, and the bar and Bailey's chains to go with it. I'm sure some day I'll wish it was 36"...but this seemed like the right length at the moment.

Hope you enjoy the new saw and mill. I'll post pics in a week or so after the mill arrives and I go rip this log.

After reading many of the mixture posts, :dizzy: I think I'm going with this all-synthetic STIHL Ultra oil, and run it at 40:1 instead of 50:1. I like the "More is more" school while at the same time the synthetic should minimize deposits.

Thanks for all the information.

Hey zopi I didn't know that higher octane would run cooler good info thanks!! I think I will use a little higher just to be safe. rayvil01 Awesome I would love to be out this weekend but I gotta wait to order the rest of my stuff Dec. is a killer we have presents to buy for 3 birthdays and then Christmas I gotta get rid of a guitar to fund this hobby but I can't wait till it all comes together!! Have a beer for me too!! I'm sure it goes down better after some milling maybe just not before HA! My wife is trying to be understanding about all this she has a pretty good concept of what I want to do but I think most people just think why wouldn't you just go put that money towards wood at the lumberyard or seems like alot of work for a few peices of wood but what they don't consider is some of the wood you can mill yourself is not even available to buy at the lumberyard and the amount you can mill would cost a small fortune to buy, then theirs also the sentimental aspect of being able to say this tree was from the woods or yard and now its a table that may be able to be passed down for years to come in your family or to freinds, to me thats priceless in a world of oh just throw it away and new one only costs X amount of dollars not enough heirlooms around anymore I am hoping to change that in our family of course I am still trying to convince my with into a timberframe dinner table and bedset?!!? Well see!! Can't wait for the pics!! Happy New Year!

Oh boy...you got bit hard huh? oh well, I can understand...kinda like me with a shiny new airbrush.. (I paint bikes as a side bizznizz..)

I know what you mean about timber frame furniture...I love massive pieces of architectural wood, and I am planning a timber canopy bed..and to reinforce the floors under our bedroom..

Higher octane gas should run a bit cooler..god knows it does in my Harley..it is probably not necessary to run premium tho'...you do want to be careful of one thing though...if you are buying mid grade or premium be sure to only buy from really busy stations...slow places don't sell much high octane and it will often get a bit stale...then you have varnish issues and power issues, plus the fact that you paid whole milk price for sour skim milk..so to speak..

Varnish sucks..particularly in air cooled engines, something to do with
faster temperature cycles...something else my egghead guru of old babbled about and I understood little of...but I can turn a wrench...

Sure..get rid of the guitar...then getcha a nice piece of walnut from somewhere and pick up a telecaster (best stick on the planet...except for the 1968 Fender Wildwood..) kit from some luthier supply...quartersaw the
walnut and make yerself a new one...<G> damn that would be pretty..inlay a strip of holly right along the axis of the switchplate..and name the guitar "Buddy" :givebeer:

Hey zopi I didn't know that higher octane would run cooler good info thanks!! I think I will use a little higher just to be safe. rayvil01 Awesome I would love to be out this weekend but I gotta wait to order the rest of my stuff Dec. is a killer we have presents to buy for 3 birthdays and then Christmas I gotta get rid of a guitar to fund this hobby but I can't wait till it all comes together!! Have a beer for me too!! I'm sure it goes down better after some milling maybe just not before HA! My wife is trying to be understanding about all this she has a pretty good concept of what I want to do but I think most people just think why wouldn't you just go put that money towards wood at the lumberyard or seems like alot of work for a few peices of wood but what they don't consider is some of the wood you can mill yourself is not even available to buy at the lumberyard and the amount you can mill would cost a small fortune to buy, then theirs also the sentimental aspect of being able to say this tree was from the woods or yard and now its a table that may be able to be passed down for years to come in your family or to freinds, to me thats priceless in a world of oh just throw it away and new one only costs X amount of dollars not enough heirlooms around anymore I am hoping to change that in our family of course I am still trying to convince my with into a timberframe dinner table and bedset?!!? Well see!! Can't wait for the pics!! Happy New Year!

Yeah I got bit hard and I have yet to actually mill!! I still have my airbrushes got a pasche, a couple Iwatas and a couple Vegas another interesting hobby I actually like laying down paint too but I just realized I am just not a freehand artist but I have great respect for the guys that can. I did a few cool things with it like paint some large banners for local bands a Star Wars mural on my oldest sons wall ect. but what I really wanted to do was auto related stuff like car and motocycle tanks/helmets but like I said I would be limited to stencils and 3-d effects due to my lack of freehand skills. Tele's and Strats are cool I really like the sound of single coils very pronounced and clear can't get the SRV sound without them. Back when I was new to playing I built a guitar out of some mohogany I happened upon and I ordered some flamed maple from a luthier supply company out of CA Merchintile something or other expensive wood !! I call it my paul reed paul since its a combination of a les paul and a paul reed smith. The flames are beautiful (if I do say so myself its the wood not the woodworker!!) I stained it a darker green and inlayed the ebony fretboard with square pearl inlays it looks good but it needs work on the frets they are not perfectly level someday I will spend some time setting it up better. I am secretly hoping to chop into a log that screams I want to be a Gibson SG someday and build 1 more guitar. The timberframe thing is another interest to me I used to think log cabins were cool and they are done right but to me like you said the massive square timbers just hook you and its lots of wood to look at but not overdone just my opinion. I just got 2 books on timberframing for Christmas and have alot of reading and re-reading to catch it all. As of right now I want to put 2 timberframe entryway over our outside doors to spruce things up and tie them together we'll see if I can get it done next year gonna be busy with a 2nd floor remod but I see my neighbor has a very large dead Ash tree in her yard that is marked by the road commision to come down and if I can get my hands on it and its not punky im gonna be a beam making machine!! Thanks for the reply and have a happy new year!!

Back