I fired my assistant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope it works out too!

Sometimes as business owners we have to take what we can get just to get by.

It has been very hard for me to act like a "Boss" but when I do, everything seems to work much more smoothly.

I don't have to resort to rake banging, saw chasing or much yelling. I find the following phrases get the point across fairly well:

"What you did/are doing is unacceptable and will not happen again"

"I understand that what you just did seemed like a fun/harmless thing to do. However, if you do it again you will not be invited back."

Bottom line is I try to let my people know that they are on the team by invitation, and if they choose to get out of line that invitation will cease.

Employment is a quid-pro-quo, I need them as much as they need me. But since it is my party it will have to be on my standards.

Older workers aren't much of a problem...they have a different/traditional work ethic. Kids (under 25) are a different matter. I haven't fully figured them out yet, but the invitation concept seems to work.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate the birth of the Messiah,
Happy Hannukka to those who celebrate the festival of lights &
Short Solstice to those that celebrate the coming spring.

+1 Great post ! 100% True

Yesterday, I posted this in another thread:

After promising to come to work today, she called me around 11:00 am, asking if there was any point in coming to work. I told her "not at this point".

Ok. I give them work, I don't pay too bad, I treat people well. I NEVER call people names, and I am seldom rude or domineering. After bailing an employee out of jail, wouldn't you think they could come to work the next day ?

Doesn't the downturn in the economy and the rise in unemployment mean SOMETHING?
Maybe you called her "rude" when she was actually being nice?
It happens you know.

So you searched all this website since time began, you quoted a post from 2008 just to find a post from me relating to rudeness?

Yep. I'm an evil bastard, firing employees for not recording company revenue and coming to work two days out of 5. Then getting arrested and not coming to work after I help bail them out.

You, however, need to get some balance in your life. You went to this much trouble to make a wise-guy remark just to irritate me? What a waste of your time.

I've always wondered what happened to Ropensaddle. Got any inside info?
TreemanDan did seem to be begging for trouble, but I am equally ignorant on that passage, too.
[Edit]
TreemanDan got crosswise with a moderator and was breaking some rules.
LXT talked some smack to another member and got smacked himself. By management, no less. He could return if he wished.

Say! As an aside, I recently spammed an entire thread that I picked on your comment in. Someone else put a report on it, and I took another look. Either I missed a spam-link put in the signature of the OP, or they added it later. I kinda got crosswise with you on that thread, and I think now that I was wrong.
I got a message yesterday about it but I don't remember the conversation, it was about Apartment Pest Control.
Jeff
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/apartment-pest-control.203793/

Back