I got a project saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An old abused and neglected Husky 350. It has been straight gassed, runs rough with a glitchy throttle response. It needs a cleaning, a sharpening, and a tuning. That is for starters. If that doesn't work a miracle, I'll pull the muffler, go thru the carb, and then pull the P&C. I'll see what I can do at no cost, and if it does require some investment, I'll make a best guess parts cost and see what the owner says.

This is my chance to tear into a saw and apply what I think I know about small engine mechanics and likely learn a few lessons and tricks while I'm at it. :happybanana:

Some day I may have to work on my own saws, this will be a good lesson, and on a saw that is not loved, but has potential.

HuskyProject 002 (800x600).jpg HuskyProject 001 (800x600).jpg

An old abused and neglected Husky 350. It has been straight gassed, runs rough with a glitchy throttle response. It needs a cleaning, a sharpening, and a tuning. That is for starters. If that doesn't work a miracle, I'll pull the muffler, go thru the carb, and then pull the P&C. I'll see what I can do at no cost, and if it does require some investment, I'll make a best guess parts cost and see what the owner says.

This is my chance to tear into a saw and apply what I think I know about small engine mechanics and likely learn a few lessons and tricks while I'm at it. :happybanana:

Some day I may have to work on my own saws, this will be a good lesson, and on a saw that is not loved, but has potential.

View attachment 664983 View attachment 664981
I have a 350 muffler gasket, new. I’ll mail it to you if you want it. PM me.

View attachment 664983 View attachment 664981
If it’s been straight gassed, continued running will most likely make things worse. Forget the sharpening and tuning, and find what the damage is now.

Thanks. I will see if it is required. :) I will pull the muffler off first thing and get a visual on the piston and rings. Muffler gaskets do often come off without harm.

Being straight gassed, I'm surprised it runs as well as it does. Lightly straight gassed must be the case. I've the time, so pulling the head and cylinder off might be done regardless of my any early progress and success.

I have a 350 muffler gasket, new. I’ll mail it to you if you want it. PM me.

After an hours work, here is what I found.

1. Lightly straight gassed (visual inspection and pulls very easily without the plug)
2. Striped muffler threads (I'll find a longer bolt and hit the few remaining threads)
3. Very very dirty (*** gross ***)
4. Compression is 90psi compared to my 6yo ms290 (145psi)

Conclusion is that this is an old, tired saw and at minimum could use new rings, sand the piston clean and rehone the cylinder. I'll know more about that when I pull it all apart. I did call the original owner, and told him what I plan to do, with the risk (albeit minimal) being I may do more harm then good. He said do it. :)

HuskyProject 001 (800x600).jpg
HuskyProject 006 (800x600).jpg
HuskyProject 008 (800x600).jpg
HuskyProject 004 (800x600).jpg

The Stihl ms290 for compression test sanity check.

HuskyProject 009 (800x600).jpg

A new OEM 346 piston and cylinder runs about $100 shipped. I'd go that way. It'll be a real runner after that.

A true enthusiast.

At the very least, the owner shouldn't complain about the cost of a 353 piston with your free labor. It's a good saw to learn about deleting the base gasket if you use the same cyl.

Regardless of cylinder, consider adding a 346 muffler bracket for added support. I never had a problem with mine, but it seems to be a common issue.

Looks worse out in the open, and under the fingernail there is more scoring then can be simply polished out. Also as seen in the piston picture there is a hairline crack to the right, starting at the ring, and curving down and out of the picture. I'd say this piston is Dead. I'll do the search, but $100 sounds right. New piston, cylinder and ring. I might be able to use the cylinder, but best not and just replace.

What makes this a chore is finding all the hex-nuts under the years and years of oil and grime. I still have to figure out how to ease the carb out. Everything is disconnected but something at the starter/choke is hanging it up and keeping it from coming out.

HuskyProject 010 (800x600).jpg

HuskyProject 011 (800x600).jpg

That cylinder will clean up pretty easily. Check out Mastermind's YouTube video on removing transfer without acid.

That being said, $100 for 346 kit is a steal. Your friend won't believe you've given him the same saw back. The muffler bracket is a great suggestion. Along with that a metal intake clamp is in order, along with a new fuel line. Might as well kit the carburetor while it's apart. It will start and idle as good as it runs out.

I did look and there is the metal intake clamp. Must have been a late model saw, as the owner didn't seem to be aware of the earlier version plastic clamp that caused air leaks.

I got the go ahead to do what I can for around $100. Yesterday when we were cutting I did grab this saw and it cut pretty well, considering its age, problems, and with the super dull chain it was wearing. I did sharpen the chain, while figuring out what to do next, and I am pretty confident with a new P&C it is going to cut like it was new.

That cylinder will clean up pretty easily. Check out Mastermind's YouTube video on removing transfer without acid.

That being said, $100 for 346 kit is a steal. Your friend won't believe you've given him the same saw back. The muffler bracket is a great suggestion. Along with that a metal intake clamp is in order, along with a new fuel line. Might as well kit the carburetor while it's apart. It will start and idle as good as it runs out.

I did look and there is the metal intake clamp. Must have been a late model saw, as the owner didn't seem to be aware of the earlier version plastic clamp that caused air leaks.

I got the go ahead to do what I can for around $100. Yesterday when we were cutting I did grab this saw and it cut pretty well, considering its age, problems, and with the super dull chain it was wearing. I did sharpen the chain, while figuring out what to do next, and I am pretty confident with a new P&C it is going to cut like it was new.
If you use the 346 top end you will be looking for one for yourself.

I'm thinking this is the way to go. More then what I need and under the allowed budget. I'll sleep on it and order tomorrow it if still looks good in my cart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JEMQ3PU/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UERIWLHRDST1

For those new to small engines -- I watch YouTube:donyboy32, and it is amazing how easy and cheap resurrecting an old saw can be. When my neighbor made a comment about this 350 being about done, I grabbed it and made some cuts with it. I told him when he is truly done with it, let me have a go at it. He didn't hesitate and become my project with about a moments delay.

Latest posts

Back