I got a project saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0.02 is about right with the gasket, if more then remove the gasket.

Don't watch the vids where they use a lathe to shave the cyl base (unless yout have a lathe).

Measure it without the gasket. Use the gasket if the squish is less than .02 without it.

It has arrived. Looks real good. Piston and cylinder is very smooth, no casting needing trimming from the intake, etc. Notice that the piston is a flat topper whereas the original has a dished top. Higher compression? I'll pickup some Hi-Temp Instant Gasket tomorrow morning and start in on this reassembly.

See the dual set of rings. They are thinner then the originals, so maybe over all they work together to work as well as the one, or maybe better?

There is the arrow on top of the piston. That points to the exhaust port, correct?

HuskyProject 001 (800x600).jpg HuskyProject 002 (800x600).jpg HuskyProject 003 (800x600).jpg HuskyProject 004 (800x600).jpg HuskyProject 005 (800x600).jpg

It has arrived. Looks real good. Piston and cylinder is very smooth, no casting needing trimming from the intake, etc. Notice that the piston is a flat topper whereas the original has a dished top. Higher compression? I'll pickup some Hi-Temp Instant Gasket tomorrow morning and start in on this reassembly.

See the dual set of rings. They are thinner then the originals, so maybe over all they work together to work as well as the one, or maybe better?

There is the arrow on top of the piston. That points to the exhaust port, correct?

Arrow should point toward the exhaust

The casting flash in the lower transfers should be cleaned up. I can't tell for sure but the bevel on the uppers doesn't look the best either. Tough on the new rings.

Make sure the four screws under the gas tank securing the cylinder adapter to the case are tight. And it might be a good idea to reuse the old piston circlips as opposed to the cheap china ones that came with the kit. Maybe others will chime in. Oh and if you leave the gasket out , use moto seal or equivalent. Not silicone or gasket maker. Good luck

I noticed that on the lower transfers also. Interestingly I now see it in the pictures, but must have missed it when at the bench. Details got overwhelmed in the moment of unboxing. I'll rub with some sandpaper and touch up what I can feel tomorrow. To bloody hot in the garage, to spend much time on this today. 90s today, but back into the hi 70s tomorrow and Friday.

The casting flash in the lower transfers should be cleaned up. I can't tell for sure but the bevel on the uppers doesn't look the best either. Tough on the new rings.

If you put this thing together without doing a pressure vac test, you’ll be very disappointed and tearing it down again. I’ve done dozens of these and they respond well if you don’t cut corners. Lots of good advice given, they are the best firewood saw made, and I’m a Stihl guy.:cool:

I can only imagine what that is, and I'm certain I don't have the equipment. I'll just boldly proceed and see what comes of it all.

If you put this thing together without doing a pressure vac test, you’ll be very disappointed and tearing it down again. I’ve done dozens of these and they respond well if you don’t cut corners. Lots of good advice given, they are the best firewood saw made, and I’m a Stihl guy.:cool:

I can only imagine what that is, and I'm certain I don't have the equipment. I'll just boldly proceed and see what comes of it all.
Google pressure vac test and learn, might just save you some time and money. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.:p Actually, I’ll post a link and make it easy for you, you’re welcome.

How funny... :ices_rofl: Since this saw was running before, this vacuum test, that is so critical, would have determined that the vent was okay, which I already knew. Also, this can be and was done just by blowing into the various fuel line hoses. But, I Thank You anyways???

Google pressure vac test and learn, might just save you some time and money. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.:p Actually, I’ll post a link and make it easy for you, you’re welcome.

Latest posts

Back