I got me a Dolmar 421:)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plowin-fire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So got the Dolmar dealer status started at our shop and I ordered a 421 for myself. Thought it would be a good addition to the tree monkeyed 7900. Set the 421 on the bench, pulled the muffler, drilled the two spot welds and popped the cat out. That was easy. Tried a few test cuts, seemed to run pretty good. Brought it back to the bench, removed the carb, and dremeled a screw driver slot in the high screw. This one wasn't epoxied, just had a goofy looking splined stud that's not easily turned. Dremel fixed that:) Gave it a little more on the h and l and went back out. I gotta say even with a stock ANSI chain that this thing rips! Smiled for a long time and headed home. Went to a friends place yesterday and cut up a hackberry tree that had fallen in the ice storm. I officially think I like it more than my 7900. It just cuts great and doesn't bog. Fairly easy on the gas too. Very happy with my purchase. Gotta get a few loops of 91vx for it and see how it does.

Haven't got it tached yet to know. Just set it in the cut to get max rpm and then drop it down a tick.

For break in I'd run the first 3 or 4 tanks rich. Don't lean it out too much. A good break IMHO allows you to get the full potential of the saw later.

For break in I'd run the first 3 or 4 tanks rich. Don't lean it out too much. A good break IMHO allows you to get the full potential of the saw later.

Might have to try it again today and see for sure. Smelled a bit on the rich side yesterday when I was down wind...

So got the Dolmar dealer status started at our shop and I ordered a 421 for myself. Thought it would be a good addition to the tree monkeyed 7900. Set the 421 on the bench, pulled the muffler, drilled the two spot welds and popped the cat out. That was easy. Tried a few test cuts, seemed to run pretty good. Brought it back to the bench, removed the carb, and dremeled a screw driver slot in the high screw. This one wasn't epoxied, just had a goofy looking splined stud that's not easily turned. Dremel fixed that:) Gave it a little more on the h and l and went back out. I gotta say even with a stock ANSI chain that this thing rips! Smiled for a long time and headed home. Went to a friends place yesterday and cut up a hackberry tree that had fallen in the ice storm. I officially think I like it more than my 7900. It just cuts great and doesn't bog. Fairly easy on the gas too. Very happy with my purchase. Gotta get a few loops of 91vx for it and see how it does.

You need to get the right tool for that splined stud. They are one of the best things to happen to chainsaws in a LONG time!
So much easier than trying to hold a screwdriver in a slot that is bouncing around!

I'm gonna predict a LONG love affair with your new saw. They are one of the best values in the entire OPE industry.
Do yourself (and the saw) a favor and get a loop of Stihl 63 PS3 and put on it!!!
That chain is incredible!

Mike

Might have to try it again today and see for sure. Smelled a bit on the rich side yesterday when I was down wind...

Just make sure you've got a good 4 stroke at wot no load and cleans up in the cut and it should be fine. My uncle's 420 ran pig rich for 2 tanks and broke in really well. Hard to beat those little Dolmar's

Just finished up the first gallon in my 420('bout nine tanks).I though it was a mite slow so I took it back to the dealer and it tached at the lite side of 12K.He turned it up to 12.6K and handed it back.Just ran the first tank through it this morning and what a difference.I am starting to see the potential in this saw.I may run another gallon through it and have it turned to 13Kish pull the cat and think about putting on a Pro bar.I may just buy another one for the kid.

Congrats- that saw is awesome. I used one with carlton N1C on an 18" bar and it whupped some 50cc saws!!! Amazing, it really is (in my humble opnion) the best small saw out there.

You need to get the right tool for that splined stud. They are one of the best things to happen to chainsaws in a LONG time!
So much easier than trying to hold a screwdriver in a slot that is bouncing around!

I'm gonna predict a LONG love affair with your new saw. They are one of the best values in the entire OPE industry.
Do yourself (and the saw) a favor and get a loop of Stihl 63 PS3 and put on it!!!
That chain is incredible!

Mike

Where can I find the tool for this? Is there a Dolmar p/n for it?

You like the stihl chain better than oregon? I was thinking oregon since we get it at the shop...

Where can I find the tool for this? Is there a Dolmar p/n for it?

You like the stihl chain better than oregon? I was thinking oregon since we get it at the shop...

They are available on ebay.
I gave $6.00 for mine delivered.

I'm usually an Oregon chain man, but told my dealer the other day that I wouldn't be buying any more 3/8ths L/P chains from him until Oregon came out with something to compete with the 63 PS3!

Mike

Still sounds a bit low for a 42cc saw, but I don't know that max rpm specs...

Dolmar Product literature page 8,PS-420 max engine speed with bar and chain 13,500 rpm.
I learned a long time ago don't argue with a German Engineer...it's pointless.

Latest posts

Back