I had a breakdown today...no not a chainsaw malfunction....read more below!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little confused here, you basically get an aftermarket saw and all you have to do is put it together, is that accurate.
I'm sort of confused on that myself. They dont do a very good job of describing the contents of the kit and you mostly have to rely on the pictures to see whats in the kit. I was looking at the 372 husky kit and it looked to have everything included, except for the crank bearings. I believe the 372 kit was $170 something or other and with shipping around $250 total. There is a video on utube where they built that saw and ran it against a real 372. Faired pretty well iirc.

Sorry to hijack, but you're saying I can buy a completely dissasembled ms660 for a couple hundred bucks, reassemble and have a decent saw?

Yep, don't forget to add $100 for shipping
I ordered mine last Wednesday, just a heads up you do have to do some finishing work. Recommended reading up before pulling the trigger to make shure your up for it

Interesting site. Shipping cost are more than the cost of the products. I was going to purchase about $36 worth of mic parts, but they wanted $38 for shipping. bargain prices + Shipping cost= no deal.
Sometimes it is cheaper to place several small orders for little items. I think orders under 2 kilo ship by epacket which is relatively cheap shipping.

Sorry to hijack, but you're saying I can buy a completely dissasembled ms660 for a couple hundred bucks, reassemble and have a decent saw?
weim' has been building aftermarket part saws for quite some time as well as a few others...read their posts and watch their youtube videos by searching aftermarket or farmertec or huztl MS660 and other Huztl kit saws. I think weim' just built a 360 or something mid sized recently too. They mention a few OEM items for reliability such as decomp valve , bearings, etc and if you pay bills with your saw you might want to have a backup saw but so far no one has cried foul after building one.

I downloaded the specs a while back for building one of the case splitters. Just havent gotten around to building one. At $22 I figured to just buy one instead of build, but for the extra $20 in shipping, I'll find time to put one together.
I have some 1.5"x2.5" heavy wall rectangle tubing that will be perfect to build some of these. Where did you get the dimensions for one?

I'm sort of confused on that myself. They dont do a very good job of describing the contents of the kit and you mostly have to rely on the pictures to see whats in the kit. I was looking at the 372 husky kit and it looked to have everything included, except for the crank bearings. I believe the 372 kit was $170 something or other and with shipping around $250 total. There is a video on utube where they built that saw and ran it against a real 372. Faired pretty well iirc.
Crank bearings and seals are already installed in the case halves and the 372 kit is $158 + $80 shipping to Oklahoma. My 660 was $186 + $85 shipping IIRC.

I signed up to look for reviews on that same saw mill and they don't exist yet. I saw it at $129 shipped and bought it. That's some kinda deal. I noticed build threads for the MS660, MS038, MS360 and a few MS440 threads here. I have a MS660 but feel I need something larger to mill with. There are some nice threads here on milling.

This video shows you want comes in those MS660 kits. This is helpful but nothing on the mill.

I signed up to look for reviews on that same saw mill and they don't exist yet. I saw it at $129 shipped and bought it. That's some kinda deal. I noticed build threads for the MS660, MS038, MS360 and a few MS440 threads here. I have a MS660 but feel I need something larger to mill with. There are some nice threads here on milling.
The 660 will mill just fine on average size trees from what I've seen. Your 36" mill can't handle the giant logs anyway. Now, if you are slabbing very large trees with extra long bars, you may want a little more torque to keep things moving at a decent pace. I would say try what you have and if it's too slow for your taste, move on up in power.

I hate to break the mood but I'm thinking that if you want something like this you better not take too long to order. The political people are thinking about imposing a rather large tax on imported things. I buy quite a bit of stuff from abroad for chainsaw rebuilding and it may put an end to this...

I have been looking at rail systems. something toteable. Something not requiring leg two trips from the truck to the log and have not found it yet. The mounting systems are small enough. Saving my energy for the plank removal.

I have been looking at rail systems. something toteable. Something not requiring leg two trips from the truck to the log and have not found it yet. The mounting systems are small enough. Saving my energy for the plank removal.
Lots of guys use a couple 1"X4" or 1"X6" planks and some cross ties to make the first cut. Hard to beat for portability.

Latest posts

Back