i had to post this.....anyone see a problem with the guys in this video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you agree with my stance, please add to my credibility. If you disagree, please detract. I am gladly willing to cast a vote. If I am in the minority, I will freely remove myself from this website, for it would not be one I would continue to associate my name with.

Ya,don't take these guys too seriously.......gotta have a pretty thick skin to post here.....remember,opinions are like ###holes....everybody's got one.....

some sloppy saw work to be sure.

Second guessing, I would have tried to drag it out with the winch. That was a fair size truck. If it didnt have the power, then a sling around any other tree at base, an 8 tonne pulley rigged onto the hangers bas, then back to the winch on the truck for a 2:1. Still slipping? back the truck up to asphalt and use a longer cable.

Failing that, notch the underside, make a falling cut on the high side, wedge, cut through to about 10% holding wood then sling it to fall with the truck.

I've walked away from a couple that were hairier than this because I didn't have the knowledge of how to handle them. Most of the ones I see are rotten and have fallen in winds in a residential setting. THe ground is usually very steep, and typically there is no access at all for a crane, or even a vehicle. Sometimes they are suspended over property or pipes. I sometimes think I might be able to climb another good tree and free them up form the top, but I havent tried. Without winches, trucks or gear I think I might notch the high side to about 1/3 thickness then start a falling cut from the underside, going slow until she starts to open up. Tricky though, because as you chunk it down from the bottom, the tree starts to stand more and more upright. Obviously no chance of getting a rope up top, so what do you do when its standing at an angle of maybe 70 or 80 degrees? I'd love to get more knowledge about this type of removal.

Shaun

Lots of good responces here, except for Teddy, Bitzer and a few others. I especially like the idea of pulling the tree over backwards. Just have two guys hold the butt in place while the winch truck parks under the powerlines and pulls the top back toward itself.

Of course you can't run a saw with one hand. Nobody, especially me ever does that. Yeah the saw was too big, An 026 with an 18" bar could have done the job. It takes more strength than anyone has to run a 660 with a long bar overhead. Well I can do it and Teddy probably can but surely nobody else. And yeah it should have been posted down in little chunks cause everyone knows that a tree that diameter and length only has to fall 2 feet to clear itself. No need for long chunks, just firewood lengths because that is what this job was about.

The first cutter did a poor job because the trunk was cut through without incident and fell just as expected. I admit the second dude has some poor saw handling skills but that was because he was wearing a tank top and not a t-shirt with a saw logo on it. They both needed hard hats and chaps.

I know that everyone here on AS is an expert with large trees and has fallen blowdowns on a regular basis. It's not scary or difficult at all. A 3' or 4' dbh tree is no different from 6" tree in the dynamics. The forces are the same. Right Bitzer? The weight never comes into play. You can always back your D8 right up tp the butt of the tree and give it a yank right Randy? Then back the self-loader in and load up the trunk. I don't think anyone would have minded if the tree service drove a dozer down the street and across the sidewalk to the lawn. Heck a D10 or a D11 would be even better.

(Insert infraction phrase here)

Now the facts. These guys did a good job. The saw handling by the second cutter was iffy but he should have been taught better. The cut was made a little high (for ME) but when you post a large diameter tree, which you guys obviously have never done, you need to cut the longest length possible otherwise the the tree will bind and not fall cleanly. Cut down from the top, then cut the off side (with one hand if need be), slide the bar nose back out the front of the cut and cut lightly to the bottom. Then buck from the bottom with the nose of the bar and the tree will fall cleanly and will kick out the saw. Like the first guy did. BTW hang on to the saw.

Now collect your $2000.00 and go home and pay workers comp $85.00 per hundred. Pay dump fees. Repair the lawn.

Yep, pull the tree over backwards. I like that.

Hey 2Dogs, I hope you noticed the obnoxious sarcasm in my post. It doesn't always come over the wire well. It just drives me nuts when a guy who has been there many times before tries to offer up some of his knowledge and gets blasted for being a know it all or the "you so-called pros" bs comes out. I know you've done this a hundred times over in big wood and I've had my share as well. There are about a thousand different ways to do it and some safer than others. I guess I've just gotten a little jaded with the bs that can go on in here. I used to try to offer safe decent advice from my personal experience, ah o well. I should probably get serious if I'm going to post like that. The method I described I would use though if had no equipment other than myself and a saw. I've done it that way and several others.

Personally with the equipment they had that butt would have dug in and dragged the truck across the lawn.

I agree with you Josh but please learn to take critical comments about your postings with a grain of salt. Don't leave this site because I need all of the help I can get to steer this group of idiots in the right direction!

Hang in there good buddy.:cheers:
yeah, good luck with that....

Ya,don't take these guys too seriously.......gotta have a pretty thick skin to post here.....remember,opinions are like ###holes....everybody's got one.....
and some smell like #### too.....

and I guess all you that keep talking about dragging it with the winch missed the part about it moving the truck while they were trying to drag it down......

Last edited:
Hey 2Dogs, I hope you noticed the obnoxious sarcasm in my post. It doesn't always come over the wire well. It just drives me nuts when a guy who has been there many times before tries to offer up some of his knowledge and gets blasted for being a know it all or the "you so-called pros" bs comes out. I know you've done this a hundred times over in big wood and I've had my share as well. There are about a thousand different ways to do it and some safer than others. I guess I've just gotten a little jaded with the bs that can go on in here. I used to try to offer safe decent advice from my personal experience, ah o well. I should probably get serious if I'm going to post like that. The method I described I would use though if had no equipment other than myself and a saw. I've done it that way and several others.

Personally with the equipment they had that butt would have dug in and dragged the truck across the lawn.
that's exactly what it did, watch the video I posted....

that's exactly what it did, watch the video I posted....

I just did. There is way too much wood and downward force going on to winch that damn thing.

Even just throwing a wedge in the top (when its off of the stump) would have helped these guys.

yeah, good luck with that....

and some smell like #### too.....

and I guess all you that keep talking about dragging it with the winch missed the part about it moving the truck while they were trying to drag it down......

Snap! that hit like a stray face shot:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

2Dogs, re-reading the method you described was not a lot different from what I described (or pictured at least, may have not read as well) other than from the top down on the close side. You've got to chunk it out longer like you said regardless of what they are doing with the wood afterwards. It wouldn't have moved otherwise. Either way, the adrenaline would be pumping. Would I be scared? no, but the heart would definetely be pumpin as it should. There is a lot of wood coming down and if you can finish with the tip and at arms length the farther away you will be. That is why I run longer bars than most around here.

Honestly, keeping tension on the winch while trying to take it off of the stump made me a little nervous. I wouldn't be standing on that side if/when the cable snaps.

2Dogs, re-reading the method you described was not a lot different from what I described (or pictured at least, may have not read as well) other than from the top down on the close side. You've got to chunk it out longer like you said regardless of what they are doing with the wood afterwards. It wouldn't have moved otherwise. Either way, the adrenaline would be pumping. Would I be scared? no, but the heart would definetely be pumpin as it should. There is a lot of wood coming down and if you can finish with the tip and at arms length the farther away you will be. That is why I run longer bars than most around here.

Honestly, keeping tension on the winch while trying to take it off of the stump made me a little nervous. I wouldn't be standing on that side if/when the cable snaps.

What if you are short?

this is the best reply to this post... right here...

those guys were not equipped for that job, they should have passed on it or bid the job with the use of a crane in...

I am not a pro logger, but I know enough to know that. They were lucky, very lucky. and greedy, just greedy. they wanted the logs so they risked more to get them. They wanted the job even though they obviously weren't equipped for it. So their mix of greed and luck worked out ok for them... I hope they never get hurt, but I hope they don't do that again.

I had some horrible leaning white pines, much larger than that tree, at my house. They were about 10 feet from my house and leaning over it at a pretty scary angle. I hired some guys and they looked pretty rough but handled it like pros. I would have paid those guys for what they had done and sent them packing, they should have used a crane, or not been greedy and cut it smaller....

this is the best reply to this post... right here...

those guys were not equipped for that job, they should have passed on it or bid the job with the use of a crane in...

I am not a pro logger, but I know enough to know that. They were lucky, very lucky. and greedy, just greedy. they wanted the logs so they risked more to get them. They wanted the job even though they obviously weren't equipped for it. So their mix of greed and luck worked out ok for them... I hope they never get hurt, but I hope they don't do that again.

I had some horrible leaning white pines, much larger than that tree, at my house. They were about 10 feet from my house and leaning over it at a pretty scary angle. I hired some guys and they looked pretty rough but handled it like pros. I would have paid those guys for what they had done and sent them packing, they should have used a crane, or not been greedy and cut it smaller....
you had to "hire" someone to do tree work but yet you think you know how it should be done, did the guys you hire use a crane, some people can't do hard stuff hanging over houses and power lines without a crane, there's guys that know how to do it then there guys that hire someone, which one are you.....oh wait, that's right, you had to hire someone.....

This one's a real gem....
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b18D_GV_JEs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b18D_GV_JEs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This guy must have been trying for an insurance claim. Wonder if he is still walking?

Back